Changes Needed

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Charriots Offiah

Re: Changes Needed

Post by Charriots Offiah »

You need to be ruthless in sport, even in our halcyon days we pushed great players through the door when the time was right e.g. Hanley, Gregory. IFL and Rads have to adopt the same mentality. Our young players need to be complemented by good signings. I accept that the club has tried to sign some experienced props but at this moment those choices are not working out. If we are going to persist in promoting our juniors then we need to ensure that we retain them. It would be criminal for us to develop an homegrown pack of forwards only to see them leave. We are not a million miles off being top dogs but we need to hire the right personnel.
Macward

Post by Macward »

There are few players that need to go clubb is ok in 10 minute spurts but for me don't think he is the answer and time to say farewell, bullock doesn't seem to offer much and Burgess although he has been injured a lot isn't the type of dynamic player who will make a ton of metres. We need explosive big forwards to lay a platform unfortunately they seem to be in short supply. Also is it just me or does hardaker seem to be a lot slower than he use to. George and Robert Jennings are off contract and looking for clubs both good back line players, also Lachlan lam looks to be off contract too ?
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Amongst all the doom, we are actually not far off from a player perspective imo.

We need

1. Experienced coach
2. 1 or 2 props

I would personally move on Hastings, Burgess (if we can) and recruit another half back to play with Smith.

When we signed Burgess I thought it was a mistake. Now I'm convinced it was.
jackthelad

Post by jackthelad »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:23 pm What does everyone think the biggest changes that are needed at the club?

for me

Radlinksi needs to go - absolutely vital he is taken away from managing the club this jobs for the boys has left us with a poor coach, poor fitness and poor recruitment

New Coach
New Hooker (additional or in place of Powell)
Tommy and Lockers leave immediately
Agree to most of this Lam has a poor track record so far in semis/key games, I also would ask what is Winder, Peet and Johnson doing in the background are they included in team decisions or game plans, is it all down to Lam?

As Head coach the buck stops with him, totally agree he seems to be lacking something which is needed to win the big games
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Macward wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:11 am There are few players that need to go clubb is ok in 10 minute spurts but for me don't think he is the answer and time to say farewell, bullock doesn't seem to offer much and Burgess although he has been injured a lot isn't the type of dynamic player who will make a ton of metres. We need explosive big forwards to lay a platform unfortunately they seem to be in short supply. Also is it just me or does hardaker seem to be a lot slower than he use to. George and Robert Jennings are off contract and looking for clubs both good back line players, also Lachlan lam looks to be off contract too ?
What is the fascination with Lachlan Lam? If his dad were not coach no one would mention his name and the last thing anyone should want is a coach/son player situation including the coach and son. In any case Lam Snr needs to go. He's taking us backwards.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:24 am You need to be ruthless in sport, even in our halcyon days we pushed great players through the door when the time was right e.g. Hanley, Gregory. IFL and Rads have to adopt the same mentality.
I have been saying this for a while but they show no desire to do it. Clubb would never have got a new deal, Lockers and Tommy would have been long gone and Powell would have been replaced to mention just a few.

The counter argument is "it's not the 80's and we can't just buy who we want". I don't accept that as there is nothing in today's salar cap based environment that says you need to keep players like Clubb and Lockers particularly when it's obvious they are no longer as good as contemporaries at other clubs who possibly even earn less.

This is down to IL and Rads who are either showing a misplaced sense of loyalty by in effect making players bigger than the club (not replacing Lockers when that should have happened already being the prime example) or they don't know how to scout for suitable replacements. It's almost as if they are surprised Lockers turned 35 as there seems to be little forward planning on player succession whereas in the era you mention it was obvious a players successor was being planned for almost before the ink was dry on his contract.
Macward

Post by Macward »

DaveO wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:43 pm
Macward wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:11 am There are few players that need to go clubb is ok in 10 minute spurts but for me don't think he is the answer and time to say farewell, bullock doesn't seem to offer much and Burgess although he has been injured a lot isn't the type of dynamic player who will make a ton of metres. We need explosive big forwards to lay a platform unfortunately they seem to be in short supply. Also is it just me or does hardaker seem to be a lot slower than he use to. George and Robert Jennings are off contract and looking for clubs both good back line players, also Lachlan lam looks to be off contract too ?
What is the fascination with Lachlan Lam? If his dad were not coach no one would mention his name and the last thing anyone should want is a coach/son player situation including the coach and son. In any case Lam Snr needs to go. He's taking us backwards.
I agree wouldn't want Lachlan lam, we need a proven half back, but if he's out of contract and his dad rates him do you not think he may end up at Wigan? As for son and coach combinations, Nathan and Ivan clearly have done ok at Penrith this year.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

DaveO wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:43 pm
Thank you...the other board is rife with him at times with no e diencephalic other than Lam senior to how well he played..bar YouTube and you wonder why I don’t post there
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Wintergreen wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:14 am Amongst all the doom, we are actually not far off from a player perspective imo.

We need

1. Experienced coach
2. 1 or 2 props

I would personally move on Hastings, Burgess (if we can) and recruit another half back to play with Smith.

When we signed Burgess I thought it was a mistake. Now I'm convinced it was.
I agree. I’ve always said you can get more out of this team but Lam is incapable of doing it.
Reminds me of noble, look at what maguire did with the team with just bringing in one player....
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

For all you NRL watchers who keep suggesting potential signings, what about that 7 at Canberra? Heard he's ripping it up at the moment.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐