Players with covid

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Suzieb

Players with covid

Post by Suzieb »

can anyone tell me why footballers who test positive are named but in Rugby it is a secret and we have to guess who it is.
EagleEyePie

Re: Players with covid

Post by EagleEyePie »

Suzieb wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:03 pm can anyone tell me why footballers who test positive are named but in Rugby it is a secret and we have to guess who it is.
The Premier League don't reveal which clubs the players/staff who test positive play for or their identity. Some clubs release the names, some players might confirm it, but there's no reason why they have to and not all do. It doesn't really matter if they reveal the names or not.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

EagleEyePie wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:21 pm
Suzieb wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:03 pm can anyone tell me why footballers who test positive are named but in Rugby it is a secret and we have to guess who it is.
The Premier League don't reveal which clubs the players/staff who test positive play for or their identity. Some clubs release the names, some players might confirm it, but there's no reason why they have to and not all do. It doesn't really matter if they reveal the names or not.
Exactly. There is no benefit to the club or player by releasing the name as 0 conclusions can be drawn from it. They could have caught it from touching the garden fence that the postman had touched or from being in a super market or at dinner with 5 other friends.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Third one now positive. I think, looking at the players omitted from the squad, that we can work out who they are.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wingers & centres!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:32 pm Third one now positive. I think, looking at the players omitted from the squad, that we can work out who they are.
Exactly. Don't know why they just don't announce it and stop the speculation/whispers. Hardly a big secret.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Wintergreen wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:08 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:32 pm Third one now positive. I think, looking at the players omitted from the squad, that we can work out who they are.
Exactly. Don't know why they just don't announce it and stop the speculation/whispers. Hardly a big secret.
Why do they need to announce it though? Why do you need to know?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Looking at the squad for Friday, am guessing Gildart and Burgess are 2 of them. We don’t seem to be getting very much for our money from Gildart this year.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:18 pm
Wintergreen wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:08 pm
Why do they need to announce it though? Why do you need to know?
Just a matter of fact statement. e.g. Player A and Player B are ruled out due to a positive Covid test.

Why do I need to know?

Need is an interesting word. Of course I don't "need" to know, just as I don't "need" many things.

I don't " need" Lam to explain why a game went so badly or well. I don't "need" to understand why a coach picks or doesn't pick his players.

However, we get the above information. It helps us to understand the circumstances and backdrop to a game.

It would be a pretty dull state of affairs if we only received news that we "need", wouldn't you agree?
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Could hankinson not be one? Seems funny to me hes not in when we need a centre and hes usually in the 19....... also Clarke is a possibility as he showed up well against saints
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE