New Badge

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
jaws1

Re: New Badge

Post by jaws1 »

Are they going to announce the signing of Jackson Hastings to cover up when they reveal the new strip another controversial thing for the fans to take in.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Have to confess I don't like the new badge. I have also steadfastly refused to use the word "Warriors" ever since its introduction. I don't buy baseball caps etc. But....
  • ...I'm 69, and will likely be dead within 10 to 15 years time.

...The average age of existing fans has increased noticeably since our 80s/90s heyday, and crowds (pre-lockdown) are falling.

...The younger generation have American Football, Premier League, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, social media, etc etc.

...Very few people under 40 are likely to care about an embroidered badge saying "Ancient and Loyal".
If the club/game don't do something it's likely to die within a generation or so. The nearest team to where I live is Hunslet. Check out what happened to them before & after they last reached the cup final in 1965.

I'm not saying Rads has got it right by a long chalk. But the reaction from so many fans - does it contribute to the club attracting more younger supporters, or make us look like a pensioners' association?

Just asking.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I quite like the design overall now i've seen some high res versions of it. The one thing that sticks out is the Warrior. I don't like that it looks like a dwarf. Overall its nice and clean and would be great as a logo for all our digital and modern uses - just why do they have to chuck out the old one - keep them both.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Mike wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:31 pm I quite like the design overall now i've seen some high res versions of it. The one thing that sticks out is the Warrior. I don't like that it looks like a dwarf. Overall its nice and clean and would be great as a logo for all our digital and modern uses - just why do they have to chuck out the old one - keep them both.
I agree regarding it being nice and clean and with keeping both. I think the new crest looks quite good on the training and leisurewear and suits but, I think it will take some time to adapt seeing it on the match day shirts.
Welski

Post by Welski »

Didn’t Wigan drop the iconic crest on the shirts back in 1998-99 season? What was the story there, was it a failed attempt to ‘modernise’ back then or was it alway temporary?
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Here's some interesting info about the town crest - which is what our current logo is with Wigan Warriors written underneath..

https://www.heraldry-wiki.com/heraldryw ... itle=Wigan

I didn't know that the crest dates back only to 1922. The club predates that by quite a while, so what was our logo before that? Anyone know?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
pieeater

Post by pieeater »

It's bad for sure but it wouldn't be as bad if it was even cherry red - this is more like maroon.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wiganrealist

Post by Wiganrealist »

So the new badge is to attract new fans and it’s in the club colours, in my opinion a badge never brings in new fans it team performances that new that and two things about the colour.

Firstly it’s not cherry and white, I may be wrong because I haven’t seen it in the flesh but non of the photos look the right colour, secondly if a big selling point is club colours why is it in black and white on all the training gear and hoodies.

I wouldn’t blame KR he’s just a yes man and does what he’s told, he doesn’t have the business experience to do the job he’s doing but then again neither does Ralph Rimmer so you can understand why the game is in such a mess financially
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

I hope we didnt pay anything for the badge.

Saw this on twitter...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... _badge.svg

Apart from the Warrior its literally a ripped off football badge.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

New Wigan badge: Costa Coffee logo or Johnny Welly with a helmet!

WIGAN Warriors certainly caused a stir when they rocked up at Saints at the weekend to project their new emblem on to the side of the Totally Wicked Stadium.

But they have copped plenty of light-hearted flack in return with the Warriors new badge being compared to a Costa Coffee logo.

And former Saints skipper Bobbie Goulding, who started his pro career at Wigan, said the head of the bearded warrior as looking like "Johnny Welly with a helmet on."

Fans had already ripped into the Warriors for imitating the badge of NRL outfit Canberra Raiders that includes ex-Wiganers George Williams and Ryan Sutton.

Bobbie Goulding wrote on his LinkedIn page: "Wigan Warriors have spent thousands on a new design for their new badge with a marketing firm. I've stared at the badge and thought it looked like Johnny Welly from St Helens with a helmet on."

https://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/sport/18 ... ly-helmet/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan