Adrian Lam hopes to know his Wigan Warriors future "in next week or two"

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Adrian Lam hopes to know his Wigan Warriors future "in next week or two"

Post by josie andrews »

Adrian Lam says he is close to completing talks over a new contract for 2021.

Wigan were successful in tying down Australian full-back Bevan French to a new deal this week and Lam wants the future of half-back Jackson Hastings resolved before finalising his own position.

“I'll know in the next week or two," he said. "We had to get through the Bevan French signing which has been a great success this week - I don't really want to take the headlines away from that.

"If we can get Jackson Hastings over the line, then I'll be the last one because they're more important than me."

Lam, meanwhile, says his club are fully behind the radical late overhaul of the Super League season.

The Super League board, largely made up of representatives of the 11 clubs, decided to call a halt to the regular season this Friday following a spate of cancellations caused by the coronavirus pandemic and bring forward an expanded play-off series.

"I think overall as a club we're very happy with the decision," Lam said at his weekly press conference. "We've had to support what benefits the game at certain times throughout the year.

"I can't imagine what it would have been like in those rooms having to make those decisions but I think it's a pretty fair effort."

Instead of going straight to two semi-finals, the top six clubs will now take part in the Grand Final series.

The top two will get next week off while those finishing third to sixth play elimination ties to determine the make-up of the last four on November 19 and 20. The Grand Final is on November 27.

After leapfrogging reigning champions St Helens into top spot with an 18-6 win over their arch rivals last Friday, the Warriors will clinch the League Leaders' Shield with victory over Huddersfield in the final match of the regular season, which will be played at Headingley on Friday.

"As a club, we haven't done that since 2012 and it would be a massive achievement for the club and for me personally as coach," Lam said.

"I guess it's a reward for a difficult season to be in a position to win that trophy. It would be something special and, with one game to go, it's in our hands.

“ We've been a lot more consistent this year. When we originally went into lockdown, we were top of the table then so we've been up there or thereabouts all year."

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... 009?r=9399
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Re: Adrian Lam hopes to know his Wigan Warriors future "in next week or two"

Post by medlocke »

Hope he stays
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

medlocke wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:35 pm Hope he stays
Me too 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Hastings I hope stays but Lam should get another season at least,no coach should get the sack after this season.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

It looks like Lam will be here next year.
If we win the LLS and make the GF let alone win it then I'd assume he'll get the gig for 2021.
At least it give IL a full season to find a top quality coach.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

fozzieskem wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:11 pm Hastings I hope stays but Lam should get another season at least,no coach should get the sack after this season.
No, two swallows don't make a summer.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

ian.birchall wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:58 am
fozzieskem wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:11 pm Hastings I hope stays but Lam should get another season at least,no coach should get the sack after this season.
No, two swallows don't make a summer.
If he wins the grand final he will stay for sure........if not, who knows........ we seem to be getting there slowly but surely
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

1 utterly convincing game in 2 years doesn't not warrant am extension, however if he wins the LLS on Friday and we make it to the GF (a semi final drop out isnt enough) then he has earned a extra year.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I see no rush to get this done from our perspective. Let’s wait and see where we are in 2 weeks. As others say, win the LLS and the semi final and all will be well. Choke tomorrow night and fail to get there, and we can find someone else.
jao711

Post by jao711 »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:13 pm It looks like Lam will be here next year.
If we win the LLS and make the GF let alone win it then I'd assume he'll get the gig for 2021.
At least it give IL a full season to find a top quality coach.
Does this man know what he said.