New Badge

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
culinator

Re: New Badge

Post by culinator »

Mike wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:53 pm Here's some interesting info about the town crest - which is what our current logo is with Wigan Warriors written underneath..

I didn't know that the crest dates back only to 1922. The club predates that by quite a while, so what was our logo before that? Anyone know?
First of all Hello all, this is my first post here but have been a lurker for, well years, posted on the other board a few times but generally just like to read other peoples views.

I just thought i would add a link to some interesting information about the crest, im not sure the 1922 is 100% correct, maybe in some forms or other but this is an interesting read never the less, im not an expert either just read a few bits and pieces on it.
It wont let me post the url but if you go to the wiganworld website, then stuff, dropdown menu to ancient and loyal
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Welcome to the site, You should be able to post URLs now.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
culinator

Post by culinator »

wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

I'm going to rock the boat and admit I rather like the new badge

If this is done for marketing purposes only because the old crest couldn't be copyrighted due to the fact it was a town crest rather than a Warriors crest then I "get" that

Just don't like the idea it might have some sort of links with the supporters that called themselves "the brigantes". Weren't these the ones setting flares off and generally causing nuisances home and away?

Just don't buy into the iron age man story especially when Yorkshire is where they were supposedly based in the main
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

wall_of_voodoo wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:48 pm I'm going to rock the boat and admit I rather like the new badge

If this is done for marketing purposes only because the old crest couldn't be copyrighted due to the fact it was a town crest rather than a Warriors crest then I "get" that

Just don't like the idea it might have some sort of links with the supporters that called themselves "the brigantes". Weren't these the ones setting flares off and generally causing nuisances home and away?

Just don't buy into the iron age man story especially when Yorkshire is where they were supposedly based in the main
I believe so yes.

Also who had heard of the actual tribe before? Certainly no-one I grew up with.
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

The "subtle" W W on the cheeks of the mon on the badge is a well thought out touch.
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

Yes, it’s growing on me. When it was alongside the other 5 in the play offs ours was looking dated. I’m sure Leeds fans didn’t like the Rhino when it came out. Funny thing is, what does a warrior look like. It’s like Canberra, what’s a raider.

Plus it’s most oldies like me complaining about the badge and shirt, when younger ones seem to quite like both.

I think the shirt is a great off the pitch shirt, will go well with jeans or shorts, I wear my Queensland top all the time out and about.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

I've had several days to let it sink in. It doesn't get any better I'm afraid. :cry:
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Sadly they showed the Mickey Mouse badge on Sky.

In comparison the badge on the players jerseys really did look good.

What a complete, unadulterated horlicks from the club.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

It actually looks better the shirts 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan