Wigan Warriors' Ben Flower

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Warriors' Ben Flower

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan prop Ben Flower is in the sights of ambitious Championship club Leigh.

The Welsh prop is out of contract with Wigan later this month and is set to depart, ending a nine-year spell with the club.

The 33-year-old had agreed a deal to join Toronto Wolfpack for next season.

But after the decision to leave the expansion club out of Super League in 2021 – following their withdrawal this year – he was left searching for a new future employer.

It is understood several clubs have expressed interest, with the Centurions among the front-runners for his signature.

They yesterday signed Joe Mellor from the Wolfpack and have recently acquired another ex-Warrior, Matty Russell, for their 2021 squad.

Flower – who joined Wigan from Crusaders in 2012 – would add a wealth of experience, having won three Grand Finals, a World Club Challenge and a Challenge Cup with the Warriors.

Leigh could even be in Super League next season, if their bid to join the top-flight is successful.

Clubs have until the end of this month to apply, with a decision scheduled for December 16.

Toulouse, London, York, Bradford, Featherstone and Halifax and Widnes are also eligible to apply.

Flower has recently returned to Wigan’s first-team squad after a spell on the sidelines, and is likely to be in the mix for their next game – a semi-final next Thursday night.

He is not the only Wigan player set to depart this season – winger Joe Burgess is heading to Super League rivals Salford, though the move hasn’t been confirmed, while fringe backrower Jack Wells is also expected to join him at the Red Devils.

Halfbacks Thomas Leuluai and Jackson Hastings are both out of contract at the end of this season, and have had talks with the club about their future, while captain Sean O’Loughlin is set to retire.

Meanwhile, it has been confirmed Lord Jonathan Caine, a Conservative peer who is vice chair of Rugby League’s All-Party Parliamentary Group, will chair a seven-strong panel that will decide the 12th Super League club for 2021.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... ub-3031934
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Wigan Warriors' Ben Flower

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

At present id rather sell them Burgess
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

I hope the lad gets something sorted ASAP regardless of whom its with. Been a superb servant!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

First of all I think this is a bloody shame to let Ben go! He’s better than Burgess, Clark & Clubb IMO. And I think our club should reconsider his contract even if only for another year.

It would give our younger props time to mature for a start, instead of playing them week in week out & risking burnout.

Clubb is classed as ‘one of the lads’ always up for a bit of banter & a drink!
————————-

On the last point, I hope to God they don’t decide or even contemplate Bradford for returning to SL!

What a dump of a ground?? It’s worse than Castleford & Wakey who have still not upgraded their grounds to the level that a majority of Championship clubs have.

I think they should bring back 3 year licencing & stop this yo-yo up & down every season limiting a club to get to a SL level & causing more monetary problems when they try to compete in the first year by buying loads of players. The only club in recent years that I can remember was London Broncos last year.

That’s just my opinion of course!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I agree re: licensing Josie i think it gives a club a fighting chance of staying in the league and like you say stops the yoyo. Its not like football were if you drop down to the championship you possibly cant provide for your family
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:47 am I hope the lad gets something sorted ASAP regardless of whom its with. Been a superb servant!

+1
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Agree with all that. Flower is indeed better than Clubb, Burgess and Clark, and especially in the current febrile climate, the re-introduction of licensing would make sense.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

My view on Flower is that he should never have played for the club again after that Saints GF. Nevertheless, I hope he gets fixed up with a new club, and Leigh seems as good a destination as any.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:55 am First of all I think this is a bloody shame to let Ben go! He’s better than Burgess, Clark & Clubb IMO. And I think our club should reconsider his contract even if only for another year.

It would give our younger props time to mature for a start, instead of playing them week in week out & risking burnout.

————————-

On the last point, I hope to God they don’t decide or even contemplate Bradford for returning to SL!

What a dump of a ground?? It’s worse than Castleford & Wakey who have still not upgraded their grounds to the level that a majority of Championship clubs have.

I think they should bring back 3 year licencing & stop this yo-yo up & down every season limiting a club to get to a SL level & causing more monetary problems when they try to compete in the first year by buying loads of players. The only club in recent years that I can remember was London Broncos last year.

Have to agree with you on all points especially Bradford ridiculous to even consider them given the tip of a ground they claim as theirs.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

fozzieskem wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:06 pm
josie andrews wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:55 am First of all I think this is a bloody shame to let Ben go! He’s better than Burgess, Clark & Clubb IMO. And I think our club should reconsider his contract even if only for another year.

————————-

Have to agree with you on all points especially Bradford ridiculous to even consider them given the tip of a ground they claim as theirs.
I have heard that Odsal has fallen into a really poor state of repair (which to be fair it wasn't much cop in the first place)

Back onto topic. I hope Flower's (and the rest) future gets sorted. From the rumours it appears to be Leigh doing most of the Toronto recruiting
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll: