Wigan Warriors: Who is still out of contract?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Warriors: Who is still out of contract?

Post by josie andrews »

Jackson Hastings last night signed a new deal with Wigan - but who is still out of contract with the club?

Hastings, the reigning Steve Prescott Man of Steel, followed livewire full-back Bevan French in pledging his future to the Warriors.

This season, they have also retained highly-rated young prop Ethan Havard.

But there is still some business for the club to sort out.

Officially, Joe Burgess and fringe forward Jack Wells are out of contract, though this website has been reporting for weeks that both have agreed a deal with Salford Red Devils.

In these instances, it is usual for the recruiting club - in this case, Salford - to make an announcement, rather than the outfit they are leaving.

Captain Sean O'Loughlin is also out of contract and is set to hang up his boots and take a role on the club's coaching staff.

Kiwi halfback Thomas Leuluai's deal is up and, even though another half - Jai Field - has been recruited and promising Harry Smith is waiting in the wings, the 35-year-old looks likely to sign a new deal with Wigan for 2021.

That leaves prop Ben Flower, who - as this website reported this week - was due to join Toronto Wolfpack until their expulsion from Super League. He is now in the sights of ambitious Championship outfit Leigh Centurions.

Centre Oliver Gildart is under contract with the Warriors for 2021 but he has a clause allowing him to leave at the end of this month if an agreed (but unrevealed) transfer fee is paid. The England Test ace has never shied away from the fact he would like a crack at the NRL at some stage in his career.

And on the coaching staff, head coach Adrian Lam is expected to be retained for another year after guiding the club to the league leaders' shield.

Lead strength and conditioning coach Paul Johnson had already confirmed he will be leaving, to join Leigh and focus on his online training business, while it is understood assistant coach John Winder is also out of contract.

Of course, there may still be some movement in the winter months with the contracted players, but finalising the futures of Leuluai and Lam would seem the first priority.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... ct-3033263
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Exiled Wiganer

Re: Wigan Warriors: Who is still out of contract?

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I hadn’t realised that Gildart can only go if someone pays a transfer fee. Given how long he was out, and how hard the pandemic hit the bottom lines even of NRL clubs (and possibly how little he has played), I would not be surprised to see him in cherry and white for us next year. As part of a mouth watering back line.
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

Fingers crossed
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

We don’t need Tommy to go round again
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:13 pm I hadn’t realised that Gildart can only go if someone pays a transfer fee. Given how long he was out, and how hard the pandemic hit the bottom lines even of NRL clubs (and possibly how little he has played), I would not be surprised to see him in cherry and white for us next year. As part of a mouth watering back line.
Not sure what the relevance of he transfer fee is. Surely any player under contract should require a transfer fee unless the club decide it isn’t required. If Gildart was playing terribly or kicked up a huge fuss and was causing issues in the team, the club would change their mind.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Sad to see Flower go when we have Burgess, Clubb and Clarke still on the books but they’re under contract so nothing we can do.

If Gildart leaves, although I’m unsure who on the NRL would want him, we have to replace like for like.

With regards to Burgess, I worry on this one. Not because Burgess has been amazing but Marshall won’t be fit for the start of next season and there’s always a risk coming back after these injuries and Manfredi hasn’t been the same this year and seems to be picking up frequent smaller injuries. Plus I haven’t seen enough to say Bibby is good enough nor any of the youngsters.
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

Only reason Tommy goes again may be back up for Powel. If he picks up a knock we would have little cover at 9.
I could also see us taking an half on the bench at certain times especially if we sign another good prop.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

lucky 13 wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:41 am Only reason Tommy goes again may be back up for Powel. If he picks up a knock we would have little cover at 9.
I could also see us taking an half on the bench at certain times especially if we sign another good prop.
We already have a half on the bench for most games?