Hoarding Halves?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mike
Site Admin

Hoarding Halves?

Post by Mike »

When Wane was coach we seemed to sign as many second row/prop forwards as were available whether we needed them or not. All players seemingly in the Wane mold.

Now-a-days we're looking stacked in the halves, perhaps overly. Whilst ex-scrum half Lam is our coach.

Do coaches look for players in their own image?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
the pieman

Re: Hoarding Halves?

Post by the pieman »

Mike wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:32 pm When Wane was coach we seemed to sign as many second row/prop forwards as were available whether we needed them or not. All players seemingly in the Wane mold.

Now-a-days we're looking stacked in the halves, perhaps overly. Whilst ex-scrum half Lam is our coach.

There is probably something in it, as i think in all walks of life we have a tendancy to go with the things we feel most comfortable with i.e. as a manager if i could ask someone who worked like me and would do the job as well as me, i would ask that person, instead of trying to explain to someone else who i know has a different approach and perhaps wouldnt do it as well.

In regards to Wane, there is no doubt that our best attacking play was when he had a half back as attacking coach to complement his coaching team. He could get the forwards to run through brick walls for him (and some of the backs to be fair) and then Harris / Deacon were the craft and guile in our attacking play
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Mike wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:32 pm When Wane was coach we seemed to sign as many second row/prop forwards as were available whether we needed them or not. All players seemingly in the Wane mold.

No, they try and recruit and retain the best players they can. This cannot always be achieved because they don’t hold the purse strings.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

You could be right
PF Warrior

Post by PF Warrior »

There is a looming problem which needs sorting out. With signing Jia Field and Jackson Hastings signing again what happens to our home grown half back Harry Smith? If Tommy decides to go round again, Harry's future may be limited at Warrior.
Having seen Harry's progression through the junior ranks and his injection into the first team, when he proved his ability in the role of scrum half, I would not wish him to move on to another club, and come back and bite us in the arse!
jobo

Post by jobo »

PF Warrior wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:23 pm There is a looming problem which needs sorting out. With signing Jia Field and Jackson Hastings signing again what happens to our home grown half back Harry Smith? If Tommy decides to go round again, Harry's future may be limited at Warrior.
Having seen Harry's progression through the junior ranks and his injection into the first team, when he proved his ability in the role of scrum half, I would not wish him to move on to another club, and come back and bite us in the arse!
Not too sure this is a looming problem. He isn't quite ready for a first team spot. No doubt he'll get there but not just yet.
Just my opinion of course.
jobo

Post by jobo »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:31 pm

No, they try and recruit and retain the best players they can. This cannot always be achieved because they don’t hold the purse strings.
+1
PF Warrior

Post by PF Warrior »

jobo wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:28 pm
PF Warrior wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:23 pm There is a looming problem which needs sorting out. With signing Jia Field and Jackson Hastings signing again what happens to our home grown half back Harry Smith? If Tommy decides to go round again, Harry's future may be limited at Warrior.
Not too sure this is a looming problem. He isn't quite ready for a first team spot. No doubt he'll get there but not just yet.
JOBO. All allowed our opinion that's what it's all about. I would argue that he needs regular first team game time. Like other youngsters who earned their way into the squad, Harry would not let us down.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

I have a feeling that Smith will sign a new contract and then be sent out on loan for part of the 2021 season.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

PF Warrior wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:49 pm
jobo wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:28 pm
JOBO. All allowed our opinion that's what it's all about. I would argue that he needs regular first team game time. Like other youngsters who earned their way into the squad, Harry would not let us down.
Sometimes luck plays it’s part and a key injury always a youngster to come in and grab their chance.

With forwards there’s a lot more opportunity through available positions, injury, rotations, less pressure etc.

The problem is when you are at the top or near you can’t always take risks and play youngsters because they have the potential.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."