Criteria for next super league club

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
nathan_rugby

Criteria for next super league club

Post by nathan_rugby »

What do we think of it?

- Either have played in Super league in 2018 or 2019 or finish in the top 6 of the championship in 2018 or 2019
- 2K average attendance
- 5k capacity stadium
- Finances to be examined
- Ability to host televised matches to be examined
- Consideration of social and digital footprint
- Community engagement
- Season ticket sales
- Merchandising
- Sponsorship
- Impact and contingency plans related to Covid will also be discussed

The aim is to pick a club that will be competitve on the field, sustainable off it and add commercial value to the competition.

What is most interesting is the club will only receive £1m of the central funding, normally £1.8m and they will get the additional £800k if they avoid relegation.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Charriots Offiah

Re: Criteria for next super league club

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Says nothing about the quality of the stadium, the future plans of the club and the statement about finances is woolly.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

i know i've posted previously about this when there was a discussion about Wakey, but we dont need / there shouldnt be allowed, another stadium like Cas or Wakey in the super league. One of the main criteria when SL was introduced was standard of stadium, but it has been quite conveniently forgotten by the Yorkshire mafia with Hetherington at the helm and those 2 grounds in particular fall way below that standard.

how many times have they been building a new stadium only for it to be overlooked and another season slipped by. Whilst i dont think anyone will argue that Cas have produced some quality on the pitch in the last 4 years or so, prior to that both them and Wakey have been somewhat yo-yo teams but now seem to be relatively secure in SL.

My personal opinion is that they should look at the 3 year franchise again but with the stipulation that all clubs spend up to the salary cap on players (plus any dispensations and marquee players) as the current TV contract covers that. The clubs then need to be targetted on production of A-team and youth teams, so you need to have them all in place to retain your SL place and lets see some marketing. Wire have led the way in the last couple of years and Wigan have over the last week or so stepped up to the plate (but that activity needs to be all year round), but only after several years after Simon Collinson has left where we were excellent and trying different things. i think it is all too easy for some clubs to think that the sky money has paid their way so they dont need to do anything else, but lets see someone make them do something. Lets create some rivalry created off the pitch to stoke up the fans by some clever marketing campaigns.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:28 pm What do we think of it?

- Either have played in Super league in 2018 or 2019 or finish in the top 6 of the championship in 2018 or 2019
- 2K average attendance
- 5k capacity stadium
- Community engagement
- Season ticket sales
- Merchandising
- Sponsorship

The aim is to pick a club that will be competitve on the field, sustainable off it and add commercial value to the competition.

What is most interesting is the club will only receive £1m of the central funding, normally £1.8m and they will get the additional £800k if they avoid relegation.
So Toronto then?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I can't believe that the required stadium capacity is as low as 5 000. No super league club can break even on that kind of attendance and, although theitr initial crowds could be below 5 000, they must surely aim higher. I wonder if this clause was put in to enable London to compete. Their ground is a nice firndly place but simply not big enough.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I think these are nathan's suggested criteria , rather than offical ones? Is that right?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Mike wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:58 pm I think these are nathan's suggested criteria , rather than offical ones? Is that right?
No
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:06 pm
Mike wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:58 pm I think these are nathan's suggested criteria , rather than offical ones? Is that right?
No

Oh - I misundersood

From league position qualification we have:
Toronto, London, Toulouse, Halifax, Featherstone, Leigh, York, Bradford, Widnes

Halifax are out on their 2019 attendance of 1761, Featherstone sneak in.
https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/20 ... increases/

London are out based on Trailfinders ground capacity of only 3K

Toronto are out on finances (and previously being excluded)

So that leaves:
Toulouse, Featherstone, Leigh, York, Bradford, Widnes

All being evaluated on the very concrete criteria of:
- Community engagement
- Season ticket sales
- Merchandising
- Sponsorship

It not going to be cut and dried is it?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

I'm back on familiar territory here, but put aside the survival of a club, how can the game survive if we admit a team to SL without considering junior development?

It should have priority over most, if not all of the criteria listed.

We've got by for 125 years with RU converts, second-rate Aussies, South Sea Islanders and even the odd athlete/boxer or whatever. For the game to have a future, we need quality players.

There's regular talk about a 14-team league, but nobody ever addresses the issue of where the players come from.

This is absolute madness!!!
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Just bring back Widnes