Thomas Leuluai new deal to be 'sorted out in the next week'

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Thomas Leuluai new deal to be 'sorted out in the next week'

Post by josie andrews »

Adrian Lam is confident Thomas Leuluai will play on with Wigan next season.

While Sean O’Loughlin has announced he will retire this month, Kiwi Leuluai is keen to play on beyond his 36th birthday.

And Lam, who is also expected to stay on, reckons a deal could be completed within days.

“In regards to Tommy, he’s similar to Sean in that he’s been a part of this club for a long time and I’m quite confident he’ll get sorted out in the next week,” said Lam.

“ His focus has been on him playing well and being successful rather than a contract.”

Jackson Hastings and Bevan French have recently been retained while Jai Field, who can play full-back and halfback, will further strengthen Wigan’s arsenal in 2021. Asked where they would all play, Lam said: “That’s the hard one, we’ll worry about that in February.”

Hastings, preparing for Thursday’s semi-final with Hull FC, says he has learned a lot from his halfback partner Leuluai.

“It’s so much easier having that voice that everyone listens to,” he said. “You don’t have to do as much talking.

“ He plays like the general and I get to run around both sides of the field with Bev (French). We get all the raps for the tries and the assists but without Tommy none of that happens.

I’ve learned so much off him and I’m hoping he does play on and helps us be successful again next year.”

O’Loughlin, who has made only six appearances so far this year, announced last Friday his intention to hang up his boots at the end of the season and is hoping to bow out on a high with a fifth Grand Final ring. “He was fit last week,” said Lam, offering no promises he’ll be picked. “We made a decision late to leave him out.

“He’s been training with us for the last three weeks, he’s been good to go since then.”

Lam, who is still assistant to Australia head coach Mal Meninga, says O’Loughlin’s coaching role will be finalised at the end of the season and has also revealed that his captain could have had his pick of the NRL clubs at the height of his career.

“I know for a fact that every NRL coach inquired about trying to get him over to play in their team in Australia,” he said.

“I know (Sydney Roosters coach) Trent Robinson regards him as one of the best players in rugby league he’s set his eyes on.

“I know that the Kangaroos, when we prep England, you’re always a bit more confident when Sean isn’t a part of that squad. As much as we hype him up here, the respect is worldwide.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... ek-3037455
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Thomas Leuluai new deal to be 'sorted out in the next week'

Post by Mike »

We'll worry about that in February?

Seem to me that recruitment strategy should be all about planning where people will fit into the squad and where you need strength in depth etc, rather than grabbing whoever is available and dealing with it later?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Mike wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:48 pm We'll worry about that in February?

Seem to me that recruitment strategy should be all about planning where people will fit into the squad and where you need strength in depth etc, rather than grabbing whoever is available and dealing with it later?
I see it as Wigan signing a project , utility player who we will hope gets chances and takes them next year and then ultimately replaces French or Hastings in 2022 when they could leave.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Tommy to captain next year, spend the year developing smith

2022 - field and Smith in the halves as Hastings goes to the NRL and Tommy retires
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:26 pm Tommy to captain next year, spend the year developing smith

2022 - field and Smith in the halves as Hastings goes to the NRL and Tommy retires
Exactly
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Bateman will be captain.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:52 pm Bateman will be captain.
I think there are several better candidates.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

moto748 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:15 am
Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:52 pm Bateman will be captain.
I think there are several better candidates.
Me too!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Bateman could end up captain in the future but he has everything to prove again. Once you leave and return the slate is clean and you start from scratch.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Mike wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:48 pm We'll worry about that in February?

Would you prefer us to sort out a replacement for French or Hastings only when they leave so there is no transition?