Wigan Warriors duo on shortlist for Steve Prescott Man of Steel award

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Warriors duo on shortlist for Steve Prescott Man of Steel award

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan pair Liam Farrell and Bevan French are both on the shortlist for the coveted Steve Prescott Man of Steel award.

And fans will be able to watch next Monday evening's awards show on Sky Sports this year.

Brian Carney will host the annual awards, which recognise the best individual contributions over the course of the season in categories such as Young Player of the Year, Coach of the Year and the Spirit of Super League. The show ends with the announcement of the Steve Prescott MBE Man of Steel for 2020.

Five players are in contention - Aidan Sezer (Huddersfield Giants), Bevan French (Wigan Warriors), Lachlan Coote (St Helens), Liam Farrell (Wigan Warriors) and Paul McShane (Castleford Tigers).

Super League Executive Chairman Robert Elstone said: “We are extremely grateful to Sky Sports for giving us the platform to celebrate the best of the 2020 Super League season.

“Last year, a live audience at the Lowry Theatre, very passionately cheered home 2019 winner, Jackson Hastings. The 2020 awards will be very different.

“However, what has remained constant has been the exceptional performance levels displayed by every Super League player.

“Games have come thick and fast and schedules have been changed at short notice.

Throughout all that, our players have been magnificent. The commitment they have shown to their clubs and fans in such demanding circumstances has been a credit to the game.

In these tough times, it is important that we take time to celebrate the achievements of our players.

“I hope all fans will join us on Sky Sports on Monday evening to see revisit the very best of this season’s action.”

The Betfred Super League Awards will be on Sky Sports Mix at 7pm on Monday 23 November.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... rd-3038631
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
pearsy

Re: Wigan Warriors duo on shortlist for Steve Prescott Man of Steel award

Post by pearsy »

If it's down to Carney we know which two players won't get it
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Has to be Farrell for me from that list.

Bevan has the ex factor but best alround player.. no, only farrell on that list is that.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Just a thought but doesn't having two players nominated from the Warriors mean that it is less likely that either will win? The way I see it is that a player has to be one of the best three players (on either side) in a match to score points. If Bevan and Faz have been competing with one of the other 'best 5 players' (i.e. each other) in every game it must be more difficult for then than it is for e.g. Sezer or McShane who don't have as many top players in their side. In a nutshell, don't top players in weaker sides have more chance of looking good on the day? Another way of looking at it is to say that we only have two decent players and they always look good compared with the others but I don't think that is the case.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

It does seem like its going to be difficult for either wiganer to win if they've been taking points off one another. Perhaps they've always been 1 and 2 on the list which wouldn't be a problem. I'd forgotten about the voting a bit TBH. Should be publicised a but more i reckon.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Mike wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:51 pm It does seem like its going to be difficult for either wiganer to win if they've been taking points off one another. Perhaps they've always been 1 and 2 on the list which wouldn't be a problem. I'd forgotten about the voting a bit TBH. Should be publicised a but more i reckon.
thats why i dont agree with the points system........ how can one player score less because his team mate played better........ imo, and im not being biased, faz has been easily SLs best player
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE