Sky Commentary AGAIN

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
moto748

Re: Sky Commentary AGAIN

Post by moto748 »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:11 pm
Super league commentary and punditry is absolutely dire and amateur. Watch the NRL and watch premier league football and you’ll realise.
Indeed. or even rugby union. I'm not a big fan of the sport, but the professional way it is presented and explained on both BBC and ITV/Channel5 is light-years ahead of us.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

I'd say BBC have considerably improved coverage this year, their presentation of the Challenge Cup was better than Sky, with Mark Chapman (Chappers) fronting it with a degree of knowledge, professionalism and enthusiasm. They also had good studio guests (John Wilkin has found his true vocation :) !), with expert comments also from the likes of Brian Noble and Jamie Peacock. At least they talk sense and don't talk the game down like the people on Sky - Bill Arthur (thanks 'Charriots') is the worst commentator of the lot, he needs to go on a rules course with the referees and he's as dull as ditch water to listen to. The least said about B. Mc and T. O'c the better, always trying to get the last word in and outdo one another.
And for each round of the CC that I watched, they also did a studio review after the game, for 30 minutes or so, talking about other aspects of the game in general. I've even got used to Tanya Arnold holding down the BBC highlights package, something Sky have stopped showing, despite them having the SL contract.
There's also importantly, much less bias being shown by them, a neutral stance is much fairer for a national audience, Sky the complete opposite.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

I wonder who is in charge at Sky and makes the decisions on commentary, pre match analysis, guests etc?

I wonder how long they’ve been involved with rugby league, if they’re a fan and for how long.

Would be great if we could write in and give them our opinion!
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Nezza Faz wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:46 pm I'd say BBC have considerably improved coverage this year, their presentation of the Challenge Cup was better than Sky, with Mark Chapman (Chappers) fronting it with a degree of knowledge, professionalism and enthusiasm. They also had good studio guests (John Wilkin has found his true vocation :) !), with expert comments also from the likes of Brian Noble and Jamie Peacock. At least they talk sense and don't talk the game down like the people on Sky - Bill Arthur (thanks 'Charriots') is the worst commentator of the lot, he needs to go on a rules course with the referees and he's as dull as ditch water to listen to. The least said about B. Mc and T. O'c the better, always trying to get the last word in and outdo one another.
And for each round of the CC that I watched, they also did a studio review after the game, for 30 minutes or so, talking about other aspects of the game in general. I've even got used to Tanya Arnold holding down the BBC highlights package, something Sky have stopped showing, despite them having the SL contract.
There's also importantly, much less bias being shown by them, a neutral stance is much fairer for a national audience, Sky the complete opposite.
Agree re: Wilkin excellent behind the mic really insightful and incredible well spoken

I think skys issue is mainly on the Game commentary

I think Carney is pretty good even though he is very anti-wigan, Clarke is useless tends to try and tie in absolutley pointless information and make it somehow relevant like "you know 20 years ago on this pitch a game of cricket was played and on that day one of the players scored 100 runs, he had the same name as one of the players today and i wonder if that has any meaning" - no, no it doesnt Phil

Wells is really good i think hes really insightful

The commentary team though is really bad - Barry and Terry just come across as two blokes trying to out northern eachother and it to be honest makes them sound thick. Bill Aurther is ok but his tone irritates me and then theres the other one i cant remember his name but he talks like hes a mouth full of Jam all the time
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:42 am
Nezza Faz wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:46 pm I'd say BBC have considerably improved coverage this year, their presentation of the Challenge Cup was better than Sky, with Mark Chapman (Chappers) fronting it with a degree of knowledge, professionalism and enthusiasm. They also had good studio guests (John Wilkin has found his true vocation :) !), with expert comments also from the likes of Brian Noble and Jamie Peacock. At least they talk sense and don't talk the game down like the people on Sky - Bill Arthur (thanks 'Charriots') is the worst commentator of the lot, he needs to go on a rules course with the referees and he's as dull as ditch water to listen to. The least said about B. Mc and T. O'c the better, always trying to get the last word in and outdo one another.
Agree re: Wilkin excellent behind the mic really insightful and incredible well spoken

I think skys issue is mainly on the Game commentary

I think Carney is pretty good even though he is very anti-wigan, Clarke is useless tends to try and tie in absolutley pointless information and make it somehow relevant like "you know 20 years ago on this pitch a game of cricket was played and on that day one of the players scored 100 runs, he had the same name as one of the players today and i wonder if that has any meaning" - no, no it doesnt Phil

Wells is really good i think hes really insightful

The commentary team though is really bad - Barry and Terry just come across as two blokes trying to out northern eachother and it to be honest makes them sound thick. Bill Aurther is ok but his tone irritates me and then theres the other one i cant remember his name but he talks like hes a mouth full of Jam all the time
What I hate most about Barrie is how often he throws out terms like:
"He isn't that sort of player"
"He loves to do that sort of thing"
"Thats a pass he always looks for"

He literally says it so many times throughout a match. I appreciate some of them will be true if he knows the player or its a player we have seen a lot in Super League, but he throws those type of remarks so often it cannot be possibly true.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Smithy82

Post by Smithy82 »

Cant stand Brian Carney , Phil Clarke & Jon Wells
Always negative and talk crap same with jenna brooks so aragant and negative with her interviews

Love Barry McDermott & Terry O Connor thou
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

While I like Mark Chapman and agree about John Wilkin (off the pitch) - be very careful what you wish for if you think the BBC can do a better job at covering SL and remember what it used to be like and what it's like now.
Robbie Hunter-Paul wandering around the margins of the pitch - the cameras cutting away to the agonised face of a coach just when something interesting is happening on the pitch and when crowds are allowed back, the frantic search for a small child crying when his/her side is losing. And the commentators and past their sell-by-date summarisers like Jonathan Davies are awful as well.

Better to try and improve Sky coverage by contacting them. At least you get lots of live coverage at regular times and although it badly needs a weekly magazine programme of highlights, preferably to be run by someone different from the usual presenters, you have to wonder if we would still have RL if it had been left to the BBC, although, obviously, SL players would be appearing on Strictly Come Whatever.
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

Few years ago it looked like Sam T was been groomed to take over the rugby on sky
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Scott taylor shown the door?!? He wanted to leave. Terry needs to get his facts right. Prat
benjamaphone

Post by benjamaphone »

Anyone else hear the audible sigh from one of the commentators when the Hull try was chalked off because of the push? Properly sounded gutted! Hitting new lows tonight :roll: