21-man squad vs Hull FC

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
morley pie eater

Re: 21-man squad vs Hull FC

Post by morley pie eater »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:18 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:49 pm Hastings deserved MoM. Singleton superb. Tommy and Bullock stood out too but great performance AND we got the rub of the green on ref's decisions - not that it would have made any difference to the result
Which decisions Morley?
Not biting on that one, Chariots. It's a time for celebration and looking forward to next week.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

What's that Shaun Edwards doing these days? You know, he used to play for us a good few years ago.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

People saying we were "appalling" first 20 are way off the mark. Yes, a couple of errors there with the pressure of the occasion, but we were forced into a defensive game because Hull threw everything at us in that period, had a few goes at our line but our D was great and kept them out. That would have had a negative effect on Hull, failing to score against us with all the possession and territory, when at that point, their kicking game had been better than ours, but we adjusted to that brilliantly, together with our line speed.

As for French looking "injured", you don't expect him to run 80 metres every week in the first 20, when defences are at their strongest. At the end of the day, his strengths at FB far outweigh his negatives. We've all seen the evidence. And at the end of the day, you don't win important games in the first minutes, it's the game plan and the grind that brings results.

Great performance tonight, one more to go.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

morley pie eater wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:01 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:49 pm Hastings deserved MoM. Singleton superb. Tommy and Bullock stood out too but great performance AND we got the rub of the green on ref's decisions - not that it would have made any difference to the result
Which decisions Morley?
Not biting on that one, Chariots. It's a time for celebration and looking forward to next week.
Fair enough. I wasn't having a dig at you I was just interested in why you thought that. I agree we should celebrate and look forward to next week. We will take some beating.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Awesome performance. Just like Watson, I don't like the idea of Hastings at hooker, but it does seem to work. Smith got some good game time in preparation for next week if we need him. Ref gave us all the calls which is worrying that it might even up next week. But the flip side is we'll probably see a hat trick of length of the field tries from French.

Bring on the Cats in the GF!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Mike wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:14 am Awesome performance. Just like Watson, I don't like the idea of Hastings at hooker, but it does seem to work. Smith got some good game time in preparation for next week if we need him. Ref gave us all the calls which is worrying that it might even up next week. But the flip side is we'll probably see a hat trick of length of the field tries from French.

I wouldnt say he gave us all the calls mike...... before the reverse penalty, isa didnt even knock on and i thought we deserved more set restarts than we got...... the disallowed try was debatable and wigans first try was forward though
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
morley pie eater

Charriots Offiah wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:54 am
morley pie eater wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:01 pm

Which decisions Morley?
Fair enough. I wasn't having a dig at you I was just interested in why you thought that. I agree we should celebrate and look forward to next week. We will take some beating.
Didn't think you were having a dig. I developed an attitude to refs during the 80s when I was taking my 2 young lads to games. I noticed that, even from 3 and 6 years old, they were starting to copy things like booing the ref, complaining about offside etc - some of it from me!

I remember John Monie being invited to comment on a ref and he said "Refs don't miss tackles, or drop the ball. We're here to control what we do, we can't control what refs do."

Thinking about how I wanted to bring up my sons, I decided to just accept refs' decisions. (The ones I criticised at a game often turned out to be right when I saw the replays on telly.)

I found it more enjoyable watching games and focusing on the play, not the ref.

I think Mike and others have detailed some of last night's decision, there were 2 or 3, that maybe went our way. I'm not against anyone who wants to analyse or discuss them. I just prefer not to get into the detail as I find it detracts from enjoyment of the game and appreciation of our great performance.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Very good disciplined performance and that 'disciplined' was crucial when Hull began to 'do a Leeds' and try to get reactions.
Personally, I'd have given MOM to Joe Burgess (the other half of the family would have given it to Zak). Great to see pressure being put on the kicker - it totally disrupted Sneyd and sorry to see Ben Flower in such distress. Greenwood to replace him seems obvious.
One thing about Harry Smith. If the club really sees him as the long-term half-back, (and it should) he needs to get regular outings and not just be brought in out of the cold in an emergency. A regular place on the bench means that we can spell Powell or Tommy to keep them fresh.
SOL played really well and that accolade by both sides at the end was impressive.
I thought Kendall did well, picking up the foul in the build-up to Hull's non-try and stamping down on Griffin's head-patting, giving the penalty as soon as he saw it. Kept up with play well - he was the only one to keep pace with Zak when he scored the try.
And was it just me or did Isa cop an elbow near the end? He thought so and so did Hastings behind him.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Firestarter wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:21 am
Mike wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:14 am Awesome performance. Just like Watson, I don't like the idea of Hastings at hooker, but it does seem to work. Smith got some good game time in preparation for next week if we need him. Ref gave us all the calls which is worrying that it might even up next week. But the flip side is we'll probably see a hat trick of length of the field tries from French.

I wouldnt say he gave us all the calls mike...... before the reverse penalty, isa didnt even knock on and i thought we deserved more set restarts than we got...... the disallowed try was debatable and wigans first try was forward though
I cite the single negative post about the ref from early in the first half as evidence. Other than that no one had any complaints at all. Almost unheard of!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
bill.inger

Post by bill.inger »

I cite the single negative post about the ref from early in the first half as evidence. Other than that no one had any complaints at all. Almost unheard of!
Mike, thanks for the above quote. I've just laughed my way through some tripe written by the Redvee rednecks on their site, Redvee.net
Anyone who has five minutes to waste ought to read their topic 'End of season playoffs' from page 16 onwards and decide how many of them watched the same game we did. We have got to be the dirtiest, ill disciplined rubbish team to ever get to a final and only did that because we have Kendall, the ref in our pocket. This is what it must feel like, as a Saints fan, to know you're NOT the finest team in English Rugby League.