Lam extends for 2021

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
fozzieskem

Re: Lam extends for 2021

Post by fozzieskem »

Happy enough no one should lose their job the season the sport has just gone through so happy enough hes staying, but more than that there have been improvements and cant ask for more.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

fozzieskem wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:18 pm Happy enough no one should lose their job the season the sport has just gone through so happy enough hes staying, but more than that there have been improvements and cant ask for more.
+1
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:12 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:18 pm Happy enough no one should lose their job the season the sport has just gone through so happy enough hes staying, but more than that there have been improvements and cant ask for more.
+1
Yep,100% was a big improvement the longer the season went - in a season we'll all remember. Looking forward with some optimism to '21 as the squad virtually becomes "his" team, which offers sustainability to his and the club's planning.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I always think it isn’t always the results as the manner of them that counts with a manager in any field of life. He inherited a number of problems - Wane’s style was effective but ugly, we had too many small props and so never made any metres, and we had lost a number of senior players (while Lockers was playing less and less). Plus, of course, he was here as a stop gap and then became the go to man.

There are a few matters which we look to from a coach:

- recruitment (alongside IL of course): has been very good, and looks even better for next year. In particular, we are getting proper props who can actually dent a line. Had Havard and Burgess been fully fit we would have been champions comfortably. Getting French from reserve grade was inspired, and has helped us play a more attractive style than I can remember since the early noughties (flashier than Wane, MaGuire and Noble);
- fitness: after the lockdown, we were clearly much fitter and sharper, and have let go the conditioners who were in charge last year. These things may be connected. Looks to me that he has got a grip and the results are clear - we can now go toe to toe for the full 80 with anyone;
- motivation and in game management: until beating Saints recently, he had lost every match of importance. However, that win, the semi against FC and the GF itself showed us with excellent plans, which we stuck to and adapted as we needed; and
- strategic planning: I am as excited about next year as for any year since Sam T emerged and Maguire took over, through a combination of the above and a sense that we have wonderful youngsters maturing alongside top class recruits.

I have been very critical indeed of Lam’s performance in the past, as until post semi he had failed to convince me (though on reflection there were signs of progress even before the semi). Those doubts have now been banished completely. And, of course, he is a great man, with far more style than the big bad Woolf. Onwards and upwards.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Very fair appointment overall. Can't say more than that.