One year contracts

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Rennox89

One year contracts

Post by Rennox89 »

Is anybody else a bit concerned about the amount of 1 year deals we tie people down too?

Hastings, French, Tommy, Adrian Lam.

Bit crazy to see a bright future if some key individuals up sticks next season!
Green Machine

Re: One year contracts

Post by Green Machine »

Wish we had done it with George Burgess :lol:
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Better this than not resigning Hastings and French at all. The longer Hastings stays, the harder it is for him to leave it seems. Look how hard it was to pry him from Salford despite them having no money.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Wasnt french on a 3 year contract?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Rennox89

Post by Rennox89 »

Yeah I think he was initially on a 2 and half year deal. It was one of those contracts were they have to commit to the final year. Bit weird for me. And true about hastings, it's just a bit unnerving when it comes to the back end and our important players havent made minds up and end up penning a 1 year contract.

Suppose that's just me though
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:59 pm Wasnt french on a 3 year contract?
Don’t think so but let’s be fair here contracts are meaningless of a player wants out he will go regardless of how long he’s signed for.

Someone mentioned Hastings and they’re right if he is happy then he will stay and maybe a good few years with luck,let him have the option of a one year deal just so long as he keeps on signing it
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

The other thing is that players don't know at present if they will be getting their full salary for the year, will some be furloughed?
When we will have crowds to fund their wages, and for how long? With all that uncertainty they have probably minimised their risk.

What could Wigan afford?
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Would you want us to tie Tommy down to a 4 year deal then?
Rennox89

Post by Rennox89 »

Nah 4 years isnt enough. I'd want a 5 year deal for leuleui hes only 35 👍
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

I don't think 1 year contracts are necessarily a cause for concern. They just reflect the reality of the situation that we're in. If you've got a quality player like French or Hastings who is only willing to commit to one year then you just weigh up the situation and see whether it works well for the club too. If we insisted that both signed for 3 years minimum they could have walked away, signed 1 year contracts with rival Super League clubs and we'd be left struggling to find adequate replacements.

The player willing to sign a long term contract isn't always the best one. If we said no to French on a one year deal what would be the alternative? Sign another available fullback. O'Brien from Toronto? Take a punt on Jai Field at fullback? Look for a centre and move Hardaker to 1. Which good centres are available?

I think the club has made the right decisions on those players. After all, Burgess has shown that long term contracts aren't always the best option either.