Sports Personality of the Year: Contenders revealed for 2020 BBC award Last updated on

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Sports Personality of the Year: Contenders revealed for 2020 BBC award Last updated on

Post by josie andrews »

A shortlist of six contenders has been announced for the 2020 BBC Sports Personality of the Year award.

The nominees are cricketer Stuart Broad, jockey Hollie Doyle, boxer Tyson Fury, Formula 1's Lewis Hamilton, footballer Jordan Henderson and snooker star Ronnie O'Sullivan.

Voting will be open to the public during the Sports Personality programme on BBC One on Sunday, 20 December.

The show is being broadcast live from Media City in Salford.

How the Sports Personality contenders were revealed
Football pundit Alex Scott will join the presenting line-up alongside Gary Lineker, Clare Balding and Gabby Logan to look back on a truly unusual year of sport in front of a huge virtual audience and millions of BBC One viewers.

The ceremony will champion the teams that triumphed despite the pandemic, sports stars that achieved greatness even with interrupted schedules and the coaches and local heroes that made it possible.

The public can vote by phone or online on the night for the main award, with full details announced during the show.

Other awards to be announced include Team and Coach of the Year, World Sport Star of the Year and Unsung Hero, while Manchester United forward Marcus Rashford will receive a special award in recognition of his work to raise awareness of child food poverty in the UK.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/sports-pers ... 0_sport%5D
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Sports Personality of the Year: Contenders revealed for 2020 BBC award Last updated on

Post by josie andrews »

What a fecking joke!! 🤬
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
nathan_rugby

Re: Sports Personality of the Year: Contenders revealed for 2020 BBC award Last updated on

Post by nathan_rugby »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:48 pm What a fecking joke!! 🤬
What’s the problem?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

nathan_rugby wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:11 am
josie andrews wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:48 pm What a fecking joke!! 🤬
What’s the problem?
The problem is there are many people more worthy of this award especially more than Lewis effing Hamilton!

When there’s people like Kevin Sinfield running seven marathons in seven days & beating the global average marathon time, 4 hours and 21 minutes, on all seven occasions! Raising 1.8 million pounds to help research into a disease that is slowly killing one of his best friends

1 - 3hrs 39mins
2 - 3hrs 38mins
3 - 3hrs 34mins
4 - 3hrs 44mins
5 - 3hrs 43mins
6 - 3hrs 48mins
7 - 3hrs 41mins

It’s the same with the Honours list a load of rubbish ‘luvvy’ nominations when there are more worthy people. Does my head in!

Rant over!
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I don't know any of them other than Hamilton and thats not saying much
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

fozzieskem wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:33 pm I don't know any of them other than Hamilton and thats not saying much
Haha! I've heard of Fury, but never seen him box, seen O'Sullivan for an odd 5 minutes here and there, and not heard of the others, except Hamilton, who I think deserves it.

I'd like Rugby League to be better represented, but accept that we're a minority sport. The BBC do report on and show League, giving better coverage that most media. Sinfield's marathons were well covered - I suspect too late for him to be included in SPOTY, but we'll see - maybe a special award like the hugely deserved one for Marcus Rashford....or perhaps give the award to Rob Burrow?
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐