Super League’s 12th club to be announced on Monday

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Super League’s 12th club to be announced on Monday

Post by Mike »

The sport is incredibly depressing for me at times. Replacing Toronto with Leigh just sums it up. Surely this reduces the appeal of the sport to TV companies? I must be wrong.

We're on the march back to a regoinalised semi-pro competition just like the old days IMO.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Mike wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:34 pm The sport is incredibly depressing for me at times. Replacing Toronto with Leigh just sums it up. Surely this reduces the appeal of the sport to TV companies? I must be wrong.

We're on the march back to a regoinalised semi-pro competition just like the old days IMO.
You think Sky care whether it’s Leigh, Fev, York or London?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

I still don’t understand the need to turn our league into French or Canadian teams.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

nathan_rugby wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:16 am
Mike wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:34 pm The sport is incredibly depressing for me at times. Replacing Toronto with Leigh just sums it up. Surely this reduces the appeal of the sport to TV companies? I must be wrong.

Yes.

A superleague with foreign interests is more likely to be of interest to viewers than a borough of Wigan.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Yes I do.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Mike wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:37 pm

Yes I do.
i personally think this is why London or a London presence can only be good for the game as virtually all the major media outlets are based there.

Despite what many may think the grassroots game has grown massively in London over recent years, but without a developed amateur and professional team (s) to provide a pathway i am assuming that the majority will be lost to the sport or picked up by a RU team
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Yes I do.
Why?
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

the pieman wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:43 pm

Yes I do.
i personally think this is why London or a London presence can only be good for the game as virtually all the major media outlets are based there.

Despite what many may think the grassroots game has grown massively in London over recent years, but without a developed amateur and professional team (s) to provide a pathway i am assuming that the majority will be lost to the sport or picked up by a RU team
What did it bring last time London were in the Super League?
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

nathan_rugby wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:18 pm
the pieman wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:43 pm

Yes I do.

What did it bring last time London were in the Super League?
A chance of nationwide press coverage, increased exposure out of the heartlands, increased viewing figures out of the heartlands, therefore a potentially larger TV contract. To get those outcomes you need to maximise the potential of one or more London based clubs which the sport has not been able to do. If you maximise the potential of Leigh, you don't get any of those things.

Its really looking like a return to the Lancs and Yorks leagues to minimise travel costs in 10 years to me.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

As opposed to increasing international travel just to watch your team play? For some reason you want teams like Toulouse or Toronto in the league as they appeal more than Leigh but I don’t believe that increases the television prospects at all - the current teams that prop up the league and will keep the league going still need supporting, and these exotic foreign teams may not be always financially viable in the future - what then? Remember PSG?!?

If I want to go to an away league match I don’t want to go via an airport - this only works in football as it’s a cup match as opposed to a league game. And whilst I’m on one in my humble opinion to increase the tv money we need to increase the number of teams in the league that can be accessible to supporters. How many Toronto of Tolouse fans do we think would have flocked here to watch the games?