Ian Bentley

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Charriots Offiah

Ian Bentley

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Promoted from U19s to First Team Strength and Conditioner.
Nezza Faz

Re: Ian Bentley

Post by Nezza Faz »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:59 am Promoted from U19s to First Team Strength and Conditioner.
Do we know anything about him ? What are his credentials; is the promotion a big step up too far for this v important role ? I must profess I don't know of him, but that might be down to my ignorance if anyone can enlighten us.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Nezza Faz wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:44 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:59 am Promoted from U19s to First Team Strength and Conditioner.
Do we know anything about him ? What are his credentials; is the promotion a big step up too far for this v important role ? I must profess I don't know of him, but that might be down to my ignorance if anyone can enlighten us.
Ian’s a lecturer at UCLAN and highly qualified in sports science (PhD). He has been involved with our U19s for some time and also has considerable experience in other sports.
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

Need to be a miracle worker to get Burgess fit for the start of next season
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

pearsy wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:51 am Need to be a miracle worker to get Burgess fit for the start of next season
Get him up and down the plantations at Haigh Hall.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:14 am
Ian’s a lecturer at UCLAN and highly qualified in sports science (PhD). He has been involved with our U19s for some time and also has considerable experience in other sports.
Thanks for that insight Charriots, more confident now on his new position, entering the vitally important pre-season.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors' new fitness chief feels the need for speed - and power

Wigan Warriors are aiming to make their players faster and more powerful in 2021.

Ian Bentley, who will take charge of Wigan's strength and conditioning next season, has outlined the area as a major focal point of the pre-season training.

The 36-year-old has stepped up from his academy role and replaces former player Paul Johnson, who left at the end of last season and has linked-up with Leigh.

Bentley said: "There will be a big focus on power and speed, we'll be doing additional speed work. In the gym, for example, we'll be looking at equipment which monitors bar movements across different loadings, and hopefully that transfers over to the field.

“ I've spoken to Adrian (Lam) and the other coaches about the type of players they want and how they want to develop them.

"And once we've got the foundations, we want, fast, explosive-type actions which make a difference on game day."

Bentley, who has PhD in Applied BioMechanics and Performance, has left his job as an associate lecturer in sport and exercise science at the University of Central Lancashire to take on the role at Warriors.

"I've worked at Wigan for 10 years, first with the Under-16s and worked my way up," he said.

"To get the opportunity to work full-time in a high-performance environment is a dream job, and what I set out to do."

Mick Turner, with the first-team a few years ago, will return to the club to fill Bentley's old position.

Executive director Kris Radlinski added: "Ian's given up an amazing job to come and do his dream job, he’s very scientific and it’s a different direction for us.

"Mick has come back and one of his strengths is he’s a standard-driver, he will be jumping on kids who are in the wrong kit, not tidying the gym, punctuality - he’s military-driven."

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... er-3076954
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

pearsy wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:51 am Need to be a miracle worker to get Burgess fit for the start of next season
Tis the season for miracles :lol:
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

fozzieskem wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:25 pm
Tis the season for miracles :lol:
More chance of me doing the K2B walk (Keswick to Barrow) :lol:
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

To be fair its exactly the same step up Paul Johnson made thats all he had on his CV prior to the job
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure