Wigan Warriors' support for George Burgess

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Charriots Offiah

Re: Wigan Warriors' support for George Burgess

Post by Charriots Offiah »

superleague wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:29 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:11 pm
superleague wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:41 pm The guy is finished, he needs to retire.
If i couldn't do my job i would be out of one!
Would you not be on sick leave if it was an illness/injury?
No I'm self employed so would have zero income
So you would sack yourself 😀
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

And then claim wrongful dismissal.
superleague

Post by superleague »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:50 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:11 pm

Would you not be on sick leave if it was an illness/injury?
Stupid comment.
I'm a self employed contractor so i would have to get fit and healed up if injured or well if i was ill.
I'd simply have no income if i wasn't fit or well to work.

I'm simplifying the situation and i get why he wouldn't want to retire, but that just stems from frustration of having a player clearly unfit to play and taking a huge amount of our cap space.
Its a crappy situation all round.
Charriots Offiah

superleague wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:57 pm

Stupid comment.
I'm a self employed contractor so i would have to get fit and healed up if injured or well if i was ill.

I'm simplifying the situation and i get why he wouldn't want to retire, but that just stems from frustration of having a player clearly unfit to play and taking a huge amount of our cap space.
I don’t think so. What is stupid is your announcement that he is finished and should retire. Unless your name is Professor Brooks or you are GB’s personal doctor I simply don’t know how you are qualified to come to that decision. Now, you may be right but I don’t think your comment is based on medical facts, it is simply a layman’s view based on his performances and his injury record this season. Do you remember Doug Laughton? The same was said about him when Wigan signed him and he went on to captain the club and play for Great Britain. Give the lad a break and let the medical people, George and the Club come to the right decision. Hopefully, he will get fit and show us all how good he is.
superleague

Post by superleague »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:52 am

Stupid comment.

I don’t think so. What is stupid is your announcement that he is finished and should retire. Unless your name is Professor Brooks or you are GB’s personal doctor I simply don’t know how you are qualified to come to that decision. Now, you may be right but I don’t think your comment is based on medical facts, it is simply a layman’s view based on his performances and his injury record this season. Do you remember Doug Laughton? The same was said about him when Wigan signed him and he went on to captain the club and play for Great Britain. Give the lad a break and let the medical people, George and the Club come to the right decision. Hopefully, he will get fit and show us all how good he is.
Don't think anyone needs to be doctor to see how knackered his hip is!
Its well known down under that it is a chronic condition and it ain't going to get better.
Even rads said it was affecting him in everyday life FFS. I highly doubt he's just going to get fit, the lad probably needs a hip replacement and if so he is FINISHED.

Yes i am speculating as I am not GB or his doctor but with what I've read/heard its a chronic condition and he potentially needs a hip replacement.
I've nothing against the lad personally, just frustrated that we have huge chunk of cap sat in stands with no return on it.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

superleague wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:30 am

Stupid comment.

Its well known down under that it is a chronic condition and it ain't going to get better.
Even rads said it was affecting him in everyday life FFS. I highly doubt he's just going to get fit, the lad probably needs a hip replacement and if so he is FINISHED.

Yes i am speculating as I am not GB or his doctor but with what I've read/heard its a chronic condition and he potentially needs a hip replacement.
I've nothing against the lad personally, just frustrated that we have huge chunk of cap sat in stands with no return on it.
I also have no connection with George Burgess nor am I in the medical profession, but I agree, as I've said on a different post, George has never looked comfortable all season (from start to finish and including weeks off in-between games attempting to return). It almost feels like the club have played 'trial and error' in trying to return George. Although it is speculation (medical, fitness, chronic injury), I think in this case there is no smoke without fire. Of course I hope he returns to full fitness and returns to his NRL form, but ALL things considered I think its a big ask. The speculation I read from Aus claiming that Burgess might need to retire hasn't helped too. If Burgess has successful surgery (to improve his normal day life), is it wise/safe to expose himself to risk? Fingers crossed for the lad!

Singleton, Partington, Bullock, Byrne and Havard aren't too shabby though for next season.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:33 am

I also have no connection with George Burgess nor am I in the medical profession, but I agree, as I've said on a different post, George has never looked comfortable all season (from start to finish and including weeks off in-between games attempting to return). It almost feels like the club have played 'trial and error' in trying to return George. Although it is speculation (medical, fitness, chronic injury), I think in this case there is no smoke without fire. Of course I hope he returns to full fitness and returns to his NRL form, but ALL things considered I think its a big ask. The speculation I read from Aus claiming that Burgess might need to retire hasn't helped too. If Burgess has successful surgery (to improve his normal day life), is it wise/safe to expose himself to risk? Fingers crossed for the lad!

Singleton, Partington, Bullock, Byrne and Havard aren't too shabby though for next season
Forgotten Clubby ;)
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Nezza Faz wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:12 pm

Singleton, Partington, Bullock, Byrne and Havard aren't too shabby though for next season
Forgotten Clubby ;)
I think its a disgrace Clubb has lost his 8 jersey! Feel slightly aggrieved! What does Singleton offer? :lol:
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:20 pm

Singleton, Partington, Bullock, Byrne and Havard aren't too shabby though for next season.
Forgotten Clubby ;)
I think its a disgrace Clubb has lost his 8 jersey! Feel slightly aggrieved! What does Singleton offer? :lol:
Cue for a Pythonesque response:
"OK, I'll give you he's younger, plays more minutes, has aggression, go forward, and less injuries.....but apart from that, What has Singleton ever done for us?"
:lol:
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Charriots Offiah

Forgotten Clubby ;)
Clark and Kilner.