Wigan Warriors' support for George Burgess

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Charriots Offiah

Re: Wigan Warriors' support for George Burgess

Post by Charriots Offiah »

wall_of_voodoo wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:38 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:29 pm Regarding the signing of George, he had a medical in Australia and passed it with flying colours. I cannot see that happening if he had a ‘chronic condition’! Either that or the doctor carrying out the medical has been negligent and I just can’t see that either. Do you honestly think Wigan would have signed George if they had major concerns about his fitness/health?
I think you have hit the nail on the head. Did he have a medical? Who carried it out? How thorough was it?

Wigan DO have a history for signing inured players though. David Vaeliki / Sam and Joel Tomkins are perfect examples of players signed with a known injury problem at the time. Vaeliki from torn ankle ligaments, Sam from his knee and Joel with a back problem

Wigan (unfortunately) have form for this and it appears as though lessons are still not learned
He did have a medical which was carried out in Australia. It was as thorough as all NRL players have. GB obviously passed that medical, I am not sure how the club can be blamed.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:00 pm
josie andrews wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:48 pm
CheshireWarrior wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:20 pm

I think its a disgrace Clubb has lost his 8 jersey! Feel slightly aggrieved! What does Singleton offer? :lol:
At least he’s fit & can play! And to think Ben Flower had his shirt number 10 took off him by, sadly, a player who clearly isn’t fit! 🤨 crazy.

Think anyone coming into the club should not be given a starting 13/17 shirt until they have proved themselves.

At least Singleton has proved himself worthy of the number 8 shirt 😊
Many wont agree but id have personally given Ben another 12 month contract (especially after Toronto fell through) and taking into consideration Burgess and Byrne are not fit. Always gave 100% IMO
Last edited by ian.birchall on Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:46 am
CheshireWarrior wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:00 pm
josie andrews wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:48 pm

At least he’s fit & can play! And to think Ben Flower had his shirt number 10 took off him by, sadly, a player who clearly isn’t fit! 🤨 crazy.

Think anyone coming into the club should not be given a starting 13/17 shirt until they have proved themselves.

At least Singleton has proved himself worthy of the number 8 shirt 😊
Many wont agree but id have personally given Ben another 12 month contract (especially after Toronto fell through) and taking into consideration Burgess and Byrne are not fit. Always gave 100% IMO

I would rather have given Ben the two years instead of Tony Clubb if I’m honest.
+1
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

pedro wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:56 am
Exiled Wiganer wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:26 am Each to their own, and I know there are a range of views, but I would have sacked Flower after what he did to the club and the game (and Hohaia’s health). He would have gone to prison in other contexts.

As for Burgess, I like this statement, as it makes it clear that the club is seriously considering his retirement. It reassures those fans like me who look on and wonder what we are doing to get a grip on this. After the events around Tomkins’ self inflicted long term industry on massive wages, I hope the club has learnt lessons around contractual and insurance protection against long term injuries.

The ideal outcome of course is the real George Burgess in cherry and white smashing Saints, but it is clear from this that we will be getting expert opinion to see whether the right outcome is the end of the road for him.
you could go to prison for any high tackle if it wasnt on the pitch, to be fair Hohaia could have gone to prison for the elbow/forearm to the face of flower to spark it off
Think a few people forget about that incident & that Hohaia continued to play!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:30 pm
Exiled Wiganer wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:26 am Each to their own, and I know there are a range of views, but I would have sacked Flower after what he did to the club and the game (and Hohaia’s health). He would have gone to prison in other contexts.

As for Burgess, I like this statement, as it makes it clear that the club is seriously considering his retirement. It reassures those fans like me who look on and wonder what we are doing to get a grip on this. After the events around Tomkins’ self inflicted long term industry on massive wages, I hope the club has learnt lessons around contractual and insurance protection against long term injuries.

The ideal outcome of course is the real George Burgess in cherry and white smashing Saints, but it is clear from this that we will be getting expert opinion to see whether the right outcome is the end of the road for him.
you could go to prison for any high tackle if it wasnt on the pitch, to be fair Hohaia could have gone to prison for the elbow/forearm to the face of flower to spark it off
Sorry can't make what flower did right Whatever hohai did. He hit him in retaliation but to then punch him when he was clearly out is nothing but thuggery and deserved everything he got.
As for giving him another year think it's the right time to let him go.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:31 pm

Sorry can't make what flower did right Whatever hohai did. He hit him in retaliation but to then punch him when he was clearly out is nothing but thuggery and deserved everything he got.
yea he did it in a split second....... the extra slow motion replays make it a lot worse........ beni deserved an extension with his effort
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Firestarter wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:09 pm

yea he did it in a split second....... the extra slow motion replays make it a lot worse........ beni deserved an extension with his effort
It's funny how you only ever see the incident in slow motion and without Hohaia's vicious elbow attack which make it so controversial, Just how the media like it
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Punched a man whilst down on the floor and not defending himself. Can’t be excused. Everyone should give up trying to explain otherwise.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

nathan_rugby wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:15 pm Punched a man whilst down on the floor and not defending himself. Can’t be excused. Everyone should give up trying to explain otherwise.
Where has anybody excused him, Fact is Hohaia reaped what he sowed, Flower shouldn't have punched him a second but SKY shouldn't have played it up so much by cutting out the elbow or by only showing it in slow motion, It was bad but no way as bad as SKY made it look
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

medlocke wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:58 pm
Firestarter wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:09 pm

It's funny how you only ever see the incident in slow motion and without Hohaia's vicious elbow attack which make it so controversial, Just how the media like it
Benny should have gone down, Hohaia sent off, Wigan win with a cricket score.