Hank to Broncos

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
CheshireWarrior

Re: Hank to Broncos

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Fizz Bomb wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:07 pm With a move to London Wigan can monitor him as and when he plays and if the regular game time brings an improvement he is still a Wigan player.If Oliver Gildart is going why not cover as many options as possible, after all no- one has seen a lot of Mr. Hankinson.
I agree, there's no harm in monitoring any progress made by Hankinson, but my concerns are the 'regular game time' is at championship level and not SL. In addition, I for one would be massively concerned if Wigan think Hankinson is an appropriate replacement for Gildart (should he leave of course).

I take your point about conversions too! As I've said, there's no doubt he can slot goals but that for me doesn't justify a starting line up place. I think Zak on his day, is more than capable of slotting the most difficult of kicks. I dont think he is consistent as previous kicker's we have had though.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Hanks hardly played last season. If we are going to loan him to London then as has been said we will probably be paying part of his salary. Also he won't be playing against us.
Is this year long loan an instance whereby we cannot recall him should we need him? Most loan deals mean he can't be brought back within the first month but does this one mean he can't return in any event?
I thought Hanks was a decent player, many going around in SL who aren't anywhere near as good IMO.
What looked very odd was that Lam wouldn't select him under any circumstances. What happened to squad rotation?
As for where would he play, I'd play him centre with Zac on the wing. I'm not a fan of Bibby and would have Hanks over him anytime. His goal kicking is a very important asset too.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

I wonder if the club would consider a goal kicking coach for Hardaker, as they have done in the past. I think Sam became a reliable kicker for us going down this route, and is Catalans 2nd choice now after Maloney (who's one of the best in the world !).
If we could rely on Hardaker even more, this would take the burden off buying a goal kicking player, in any position.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:23 pm Hanks hardly played last season. If we are going to loan him to London then as has been said we will probably be paying part of his salary. Also he won't be playing against us.
Is this year long loan an instance whereby we cannot recall him should we need him? Most loan deals mean he can't be brought back within the first month but does this one mean he can't return in any event?
I thought Hanks was a decent player, many going around in SL who aren't anywhere near as good IMO.
What looked very odd was that Lam wouldn't select him under any circumstances. What happened to squad rotation?
As for where would he play, I'd play him centre with Zac on the wing. I'm not a fan of Bibby and would have Hanks over him anytime. His goal kicking is a very important asset too.
Really !! An established International Centre/FB out on the wing, replaced by a Championship player with few credentials and a distinct lack of pace.
Akin to Wayne Bennett playing Blake Austin on the wing for England, and what a huge error that was.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

ddtftf wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:51 pm Gilly off to oz after this year but not to Canberra he said it is too cold there
West Tigers?
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Nezza Faz wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:37 pm
Wiganer Ted wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:23 pm Hanks hardly played last season. If we are going to loan him to London then as has been said we will probably be paying part of his salary. Also he won't be playing against us.
Really !! An established International Centre/FB out on the wing, replaced by a Championship player with few credentials and a distinct lack of pace.
Akin to Wayne Bennett playing Blake Austin on the wing for England, and what a huge error that was.
Definitely not a winger Zak IMO!
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Hank can play right and pass left to right which Zac, Bibby, Bateman and Sarge can't and couldn't do.
As for Zac being an Intl centre, although he's played there I for one don't consider him one. Intl full back, yes, every day of the week but not an Intl centre.
We don't know how Hanks would have gone if he'd been given a run of 10+ first team games but Lam was determined he wouldn't play.
Anyway, Lam has got rid. Pity but there it is!
jackthelad

Post by jackthelad »

Nezza Faz wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:14 pm
jackthelad wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:40 pm
Nezza Faz wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:14 am Yet interestingly not 1 coach or club in Super League was prepared to offer him a deal, maybe professionally they know more than us on here and by design think he's more Championship standard.
I'd definitely be more than concerned if anyone at the helm of our club, think he's a replacement for Gildart, goalkicker or not.
Hank has a deal thru to 2022 I've mentioned this before, How do you know no other SL club has offered a deal?

Most of you know I'm a suppprter of Hank and despite others options or thoughts he has performed to a SL standard, yes he's no world beater but I feel he has had a raw deal in this past difficult period, I wish him well and hope he builds his confidence, if he does play for wigan again I'd be surprised tbh maybe he could come back into SL and prove the doubters wrong I hope so
The hard evidence ! If a SL club was more than interested in him than London were, they'd have put in a better offer for him ? And none apparently were ? On the basis he's gone to London, and not a Super League club, at the end of the day the money on the table to offer the player was at Championship and not SL level. I'm not even sure London are operating at Full Time, or PT level ?
I'm not talking about whether people have a "favourite" player here, more interested in his actual ability and what professionals consider his attributes to be. In general, I trust those opinions more, despite the wider forum's views - but I stand to be corrected on his standard in SL.
Curious about the hard evidence you state??
You have provided no factual details whatsoever only speculation and assumptions, pretty much the same as everyone else, unless you do know??

So I can only assume we are all guessing and no idea what's going on in the inner circles?

Regards what professionals consider his attributes? Wigan signed him and extended his contract awarded him the no 3 shirt!!!! (a big mistake) this is a hard fact, not opinion

He certainly deserves and has earned my respect as a player and was a great lad when meeting him in the past

As I previously said I can only wish him well and look forward to him having a few good years in 2021/22 if that still at Wigan it's a win win for me