Season start delayed

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
fozzieskem

Re: Season start delayed

Post by fozzieskem »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:48 am I know it seems weird and I don’t want to stray into political territory, but how else can it be described? We chose to go alone and have ended up with far more doses of the world’s most valuable commodity far earlier than any other major western country. Kate Bingham on procurement and John Bell on development deserve their own statues.

I am desperate to see our 21 squad in action, as I think we have so much potential, and so am spending too much time learning about stuff I never thought I would need to know!
That they took a chance on buying a fair slice of vaccine is about the only thing this inept government of ours has done right,tons of test kits that don’t work,PPE that wasn’t fit for purpose,the ridiculous “eat out to help out” which while not single handed caused the 2nd wave it was certainly was in the box seat (another reason that the country will not rush to reopen)those are just a couple of things the “brilliant” government has achieved through this pandemic.

They’ve let people down and they’re dead and gone now and they should be ashamed of themselves and their handling of this once ina lifetime crisis,and my when we needed a political giant,a Thatcher type leader we have Johnson and his cronies it’s no wonder the virus is running rampant still and given there’s more and more reports that this supposed virus is just a killer of the middle aged and older more and more reports that teenagers and upwards are getting it,it’s not going away anytime soon that’s for sure.

When this mess is over I trust the people will start to ask the questions on how we where so spectacularly by the government and our useless opposition,no one should be able to walk away from the handling of COVID Scott free it’s been a shambles and continues to be so,but still the hogs got rich in the COVID bonanza that we will all have to pay for.
jobo

Post by jobo »

pedro wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:13 am https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/league-l ... KqNyusBptE

hope its not true about easter
If crowds aren't back by Easter, it's probably a wise move to be fair.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:48 am I know it seems weird and I don’t want to stray into political territory, but how else can it be described? We chose to go alone and have ended up with far more doses of the world’s most valuable commodity far earlier than any other major western country. Kate Bingham on procurement and John Bell on development deserve their own statues.

I am desperate to see our 21 squad in action, as I think we have so much potential, and so am spending too much time learning about stuff I never thought I would need to know!
Sorry EW - I cheered your informative posts up to this point, but I think you've been misled by a rather fawning piece in the Torygraph by Juliet Samuel, who is probably got her info from Kate Bingham herself (or her PR advisors).

The fact is that the major reason we're well-supplied with vaccine is because of supplies from Oxford-Astrazeneca. This partnership came about through Professor Sir John Bell at the Oxford School of Medicine talking to a former colleague from the board of Roche who is now head of Astrazeneca.

They put their proposal to the government, who agreed an advance payment to fund research on the basis that we'd receive the supply of vaccine we now have. I doubt that Kate Bingham's "procurement skills" had much to do with it.

Bingham's husband is Jesse Norman, Tory MP and financial secretary to the treasury. "Jobs for the boys" seem to have been extended to the girls. Bingham spent £670 million of taxpayers' money on a PR company.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... her-in-law

Sorry, I've not managed to find the original article, but will add a link if/when I do.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I am confused now, Morley. Somebody was in charge of procurement, and hers was the name I got when I googled. I could have mentioned the minister in charge, I suppose, but that would have taken us into politics! By the way, I think even the Guardian is only suggesting it was 670k rather than 670 millions. Though I would not put it past them. :D
Anyway, whoever it was that ordered the ones we did, and secured the delivery slots they did, did a fantastic job. And we will ALL reap the benefits.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:18 pm I am confused now, Morley. Somebody was in charge of procurement, and hers was the name I got when I googled. I could have mentioned the minister in charge, I suppose, but that would have taken us into politics! By the way, I think even the Guardian is only suggesting it was 670k rather than 670 millions. Though I would not put it past them. :D
Anyway, whoever it was that ordered the ones we did, and secured the delivery slots they did, did a fantastic job. And we will ALL reap the benefits.
We will all reap the Benefits of a moronically implemented tier system as well that worked so well they had to add a tier.....

Lets see if everything goes to plan but after 5 years of false promises i'm not going to say a great jobs been done yet.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Be careful what you believe with regards to how easy it will be to handle different strains and mutations. For example:

"The new coronavirus has a 79 percent genetic similarity to the SARS virus."

Sars has been around since 2003 (in fact Covid 19 is SARS CoV2). How prepared were we for this?
pedro

Post by pedro »

pretty prepared since the work on HIV has increased the understanding on virus's
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:18 pm I am confused now, Morley. Somebody was in charge of procurement, and hers was the name I got when I googled. I could have mentioned the minister in charge, I suppose, but that would have taken us into politics! By the way, I think even the Guardian is only suggesting it was 670k rather than 670 millions. Though I would not put it past them. :D
I absolutely agree with you that our procurement has been good. My point is that Kate Bingham wasn't responsible for the bulk of it. She was appointed on 16th May, see -

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/kate ... -taskforce

The gov's deal with Oxfotd-Astrazeneca had been reported well before that.

According to the BBC:
"The UK has ordered 100 million doses of the Oxford vaccine - enough to inoculate 50 million people.

This, when combined with the 40 million ordered Pfizer jabs, will cover the entire population, Health Secretary Matt Hancock has said.

The UK also has significant orders of the newly-approved Moderna vaccine and four other candidates."
I've read that the Moderna order is for 7 million.

This means that Kate B, despite her self-serving PR claims, is responsible for less than 50% of our procurement, I'd estimate around 35% to 40%.

My point wasn't a disagreement about vaccine procurement but pointing out that many people in and around government are self-publicists, so treat what you read about them with caution.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Thanks, Morley, I will be more careful in future. Whoever and however and whatever, I hope we are now cautiously optimistic that we will be back where we belong sometime (relatively) soon. And what a team we will have... (oh and one last thing, a delayed season gives us longer to work on the wingers’ fitness, and sort out GB’s position).
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

I am not convinced that supporters will be able to see any live games. If SAGE gets its way we will be locked down until this time next year!