Field: Very exciting

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Field: Very exciting

Post by josie andrews »

Newcomer Jai Field discusses pre-season and settling into life in Wigan.

Field: “It’s definitely a great squad here, it’s very exciting and hopefully we can perform this season.”
Watch the full interview on Wigan TV today.

Jai Field is finding his new surroundings ‘very exciting’ as he begins his first pre-season at Wigan Warriors.

The Aussie put pen to paper back in early November 2020 and begun training with the Cherry and Whites at the end of last week.

Speaking to Wigan TV, the 23-year-old explained how coming from the Australian summer into the depths of the English winter had caught him off guard.

“It’s certainly been a bit of a shock, from sweating all day to coming here when it’s snowing. It’s a little different [he joked].”

The versatile speedster, who can be deployed in a number of positions, discussed his eagerness to be involved in a strong Wigan side in 2021.

“It’s definitely a great squad here, it’s very exciting and hopefully we can perform this season.”

However, the Wollongong-born Field admitted that because of the strength of the side, he doesn’t expect to walk into a starting position.

“Coming off a Grand Final loss, with most of that squad still here, it may be me coming off the bench to begin with for me.

“I could also be playing in the halves or filling in at full back at times, so we will see how we go.”

Hear more from Jai as he discusses pre-season and more on the upcoming campaign on Wigan TV. Click here to watch today.

Don’t have a subscription? You can access all of the great Wigan TV content including match highlights, exclusive interviews, behind the scenes footage, classic games and more for just £38.99 per year!

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2021/01/ ... -exciting/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
nathan_rugby

Re: Field: Very exciting

Post by nathan_rugby »

See's himself as a halfback first and a fullback second based on that.

OR

He has looked at Wigan's squad and determined that is the order of likelihood.

He may well be filling in on the wing for a couple of weeks if not months. Depends on the form of Bibby, recovery of Marshall and the emergence of a young winger coming through.

Having the speed of him and French will be frightening at times if we can create the space.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:03 pm See's himself as a halfback first and a fullback second based on that.

OR

He may well be filling in on the wing for a couple of weeks if not months. Depends on the form of Bibby, recovery of Marshall and the emergence of a young winger coming through.

Having the speed of him and French will be frightening at times if we can create the space.
And Manfredi also has to be considered, hoping his form returns to what he was once regarded as one of the best wingers in the league.

Yes, as you say, there's no replacement for speed
pedro

Post by pedro »

Nezza Faz wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:39 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:03 pm See's himself as a halfback first and a fullback second based on that.

OR

And Manfredi also has to be considered, hoping his form returns to what he was once regarded as one of the best wingers in the league.

good interview with Dom also on Wigan TV explains his injury last year, in full pre season so think he will be first choice winger
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Nezza Faz wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:39 pm

OR

I was assuming Manfredi as a starter.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Yeah, hope it works out for him Nathan, his best form makes him one of the best (Waney's got him in his England Training Squad, after all).
However we have to be mindful of his recurring, serious knee injuries and as he himself has stated, it would be the end of his rugby career if he picked up another one.
Fingers crossed the gods of fortune are with him in 2021 - he deserves it.
Tricky Dicky1

Post by Tricky Dicky1 »

Field on the bench instead of Harry Smith provides cover for full back, wing, halves and hooker.

I think field will start a lot of this year playing off the bench.

The player who will suffer in loss of game time i think is Harry Smith
warriors01

Post by warriors01 »

I think your right about Harry Smith. Didn’t need to buy Field could have gone with Hastings and Smith, with Tommy as back up. Better off getting another prop, as our pack is very mobile but lacks some grunt.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I hope Harry Smith gets the chance to continue his progress this season. Strong competition isn't a bad thing so long as we can keep the players happy. At the moment Field looks like a luxury signing but a couple of injuries or players losing form and he becomes essential. I think the club expected either or both of French and Hastings to be leaving when they signed Field so I can't blam them for signing Jai. If we can just sort the Burgess situation I'd be very confident about our chances of winning something this season.