Burgess leaves on medical grounds

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
pedro

Re: Burgess leaves on medical grounds

Post by pedro »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:31 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:52 pm
Wintergreen wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:41 pm

Firstly I share your sentiment. Firstly and most importantly I hope he gets fit and healthy. Secondly if he can resurrect his playing career then good luck to him. A real shame we never got to see a good player at somewhere near his best.

But, giveover! :D

Nowhere near one of the best prop forwards to play the game!!!! :lol: :lol:
Our opinions obviously differ but his record in the NRL will stand the test of time. Perhaps my comment was a bit over the top but he was excellent in Australia and there is a reason why he was named in the Rabbitohs team of the decade.
Was he ever in the NRL team of the season?
no
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

jao711 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:33 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:08 pm
jao711 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:25 am
I didn’t say “Wigan” shouldn’t be in a hurry.
"A year of his career gone.So let’s not be in too much of a hurry to spend the money."

If not Wigan then who? Us the fans? Why shouldn't we want Wigan to spend the money and replace him.
Just a simple suggestion that “us” the fans might show a little more patience and compassion and let the lad get through the door before we start to re-allocate his wages.The club will give us any good news all in good time.
THIS!! ⬆️

Such a sad end to what could have been here at Wigan. I just hope he makes a full recovery from his operation, & gets back to full fitness.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

josie andrews wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:51 am
nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:08 pm
"A year of his career gone.So let’s not be in too much of a hurry to spend the money."

If not Wigan then who? Us the fans? Why shouldn't we want Wigan to spend the money and replace him.
Just a simple suggestion that “us” the fans might show a little more patience and compassion and let the lad get through the door before we start to re-allocate his wages.The club will give us any good news all in good time.
THIS!! ⬆️

Such a sad end to what could have been here at Wigan. I just hope he makes a full recovery from his operation, & gets back to full fitness.
I fully agree that is really sad he has had to leave on medical grounds, that his career may be over and there could even be an impact to his every day life.

That being said, he was a marquee signing, huge wages and we are short on quality props. The idea that us fans or Wigan should wait to replace him out of sentiment/the sad situation is non-sensical in my opinion.

It is sport, it is entertainment, fans pay money, we have gone two seasons without a trophy, we shouldn't wait if a suitable replacement is available.

I think you can show appreciation to George B and situation whilst wanting the club to replace him ASAP. The two are mutually exclusive in my opinion.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Conflicting explanations on what the operation he needs is. It sounds like his medical team are trying to get away with just resurfacing the head of the hip bone but that was tried by Andy Murray and he could not get back to playing top grade tennis before giving in and going for the full hip replacement and he is still struggling to get back to the top level even now.
All that suggests to me, and I have now had 3 hip replacements so some experience of what's in front of him, suggests that he should forget any idea he has of ever playing a rough game like rugby league again and concentrates on his recovery to the position he can have a normal future.
It would have been good to see him playing at his best in a Wigan shirt but alas.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

ian.birchall wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:26 pm Conflicting explanations on what the operation he needs is. It sounds like his medical team are trying to get away with just resurfacing the head of the hip bone but that was tried by Andy Murray and he could not get back to playing top grade tennis before giving in and going for the full hip replacement and he is still struggling to get back to the top level even now.
All that suggests to me, and I have now had 3 hip replacements so some experience of what's in front of him, suggests that he should forget any idea he has of ever playing a rough game like rugby league again and concentrates on his recovery to the position he can have a normal future.
It would have been good to see him playing at his best in a Wigan shirt but alas.
My sister has had a double hip op and she’s still not right even a year yes I know it’s a different scenario to a sportsman but I doubt the experience is the same no matter who you are.

His playing days are over sadly as I just don’t see him making a comeback.
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

ian.birchall wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:26 pm Conflicting explanations on what the operation he needs is. It sounds like his medical team are trying to get away with just resurfacing the head of the hip bone but that was tried by Andy Murray and he could not get back to playing top grade tennis before giving in and going for the full hip replacement and he is still struggling to get back to the top level even now.
Maybe they're trying to go down the route of the least invasive because of his age. How long does a typical hip replacement last? 15 - 20 years at the most, so at 28 it's not something that the surgeons will want to go into without exploring all alternatives. A colleague of mine has just had a double hip op and they were extremely wary about doing it because he's only in his early 40's.
I can't imagine how he must be feeling, having to give up a sport he loves, at such a young age. I'm 47 and if I suddenly had to give up competing in the sport that I love I'd be absoultely devastated.

up the junction

Post by up the junction »

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:22 pm
josie andrews wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:51 am
THIS!! ⬆️

I fully agree that is really sad he has had to leave on medical grounds, that his career may be over and there could even be an impact to his every day life.

That being said, he was a marquee signing, huge wages and we are short on quality props. The idea that us fans or Wigan should wait to replace him out of sentiment/the sad situation is non-sensical in my opinion.

It is sport, it is entertainment, fans pay money, we have gone two seasons without a trophy, we shouldn't wait if a suitable replacement is available.

I think you can show appreciation to George B and situation whilst wanting the club to replace him ASAP. The two are mutually exclusive in my opinion.
No Trophy for 2 years ??? We have just won the league leaders or doesn’t that count ???
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Sadly, it seems to count when we win it but it becomes 'The Hubcap' when others do. I've always thought whoever wins it should be congratulated for the achievement but I sort of understand the emphasis on being fit for the whole season and not coming to grief in the run-up to the Grand Final.
They should be two equal value trophies.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Southern Softy wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:49 pm Sadly, it seems to count when we win it but it becomes 'The Hubcap' when others do. I've always thought whoever wins it should be congratulated for the achievement but I sort of understand the emphasis on being fit for the whole season and not coming to grief in the run-up to the Grand Final.
They should be two equal value trophies.
I think it is a great achievement, and one worth celebrating, especially given the unique backdrop to it. And we did it in such style! I would settle for that every year.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

The issue with the hubcap is it does mean nothing but it really shouldnt it should mean a lot. I get that Sky have made the GF the target of everyones affection but to me since leeds won it from 5th it rendered the league and therefore the trophy for the league meaningless.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure