Betfred up for the Cups

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Betfred up for the Cups

Post by josie andrews »

Betfred have secured the Rugby League “Double” for 2021, with a one-year deal to become title sponsors of the Challenge Cup to add to their long-running partnership with the Super League.

It means the Betfred Challenge Cup winners will be crowned at Wembley in July, with the Betfred Super League trophy to be presented at Old Trafford in October.

The deal also includes sponsorship of the Women’s Challenge Cup, completing another double with the Betfred Women’s Super League.

And Betfred will complete an historic Challenge Cup treble in 2021 as they will become the first title partners of the Wheelchair Rugby League Challenge Cup.

All three Challenge Cups are currently held by Leeds Rhinos, whose men’s team beat Salford Red Devils at Wembley last October to follow the triumphs of their Women’s and Wheelchair teams in 2019.

The Betfred Challenge Cup is set to kick off the 2021 Rugby League season on the weekend of 21st March, with eight ties involving clubs from Betfred Championship and League 1 – before the 12 Betfred Super League clubs enter at the Third Round stage on the weekend of 11th April.

The draw for the First and Second Rounds will be held next Thursday (11th February).

The Quarter Finals are scheduled for the weekend of 8-9th May, and the Semi Finals on June 5, leading to the Final at Wembley on Saturday 17th July.

Details of the Betfred Women’s and Wheelchair Challenge Cups for 2021 will be announced soon.

Ralph Rimmer, the RFL chief executive, said: “We are excited to announce an extension of Rugby League’s partnership with Betfred to include the Men’s, Women’s and Wheelchair Challenge Cups in 2021.

“The Challenge Cup is Rugby League’s oldest knockout competition and even in the challenging circumstances of 2020, we were reminded of its enduring appeal with a national television audience of 1.6m watching Leeds Rhinos beat Salford Red Devils in the first – and hopefully last – Final played behind closed doors.

“The Women’s and Wheelchair competitions are more recent additions to the Rugby League landscape but already they have a history of memorable moments, and after the frustrations of 2020 I know all our players and clubs will be relishing the prospect of returning in 2021.

“Betfred have already shown their commitment to Women’s Rugby League by becoming the first title partners of the Betfred Women’s Super League in 2019, a reflection of the growing prestige of that competition.

“I’m especially pleased that they will also become the first title partners for the Wheelchair Challenge Cup, and at the RFL we are delighted to have the opportunity to work with them to increase the profile of all three of our Challenge Cups – building on their support for the Women’s Super League and also Betfred Championship and League 1.

“This follows the recent confirmation of an enhanced three-year extension of the BBC’s long-term relationship with the Challenge Cup which also includes coverage of the Women’s and Wheelchair competitions.

“We are convinced that sport will play a key role in the regional and national recovery from Covid through 2021, and determined that Rugby League and the three Betfred Challenge Cups will be a big part of that story.”

Betfred boss, Fred Done, said: “I am delighted to be able to announce further support for the sport of Rugby League in what are incredibly difficult times. The Challenge Cup obviously has a rich heritage and I was also very keen to include both the Women’s Challenge Cup and the Wheelchair Challenge Cup in what is such an important year for the whole sport culminating with the World Cup in October/November.”

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2021/02/ ... -the-cups/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
morley pie eater

Re: Betfred up for the Cups

Post by morley pie eater »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55958315

May not appear directly connected, but the betting companies don't shell out millions in sponsorship for anyone's benefit but their rich owners.

Meanwhile families suffer.

I hardly refer to the official club web page as it is, because every short article about Liam Marshall's injury or Willie Isa's new contract is followed by invitations to buy something from the club shop. Our reputation for involvement in the community is undermined if we push bookies names at every opportunity.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

morley pie eater wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:46 am https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55958315

May not appear directly connected, but the betting companies don't shell out millions in sponsorship for anyone's benefit but their rich owners.

I hardly refer to the official club web page as it is, because every short article about Liam Marshall's injury or Willie Isa's new contract is followed by invitations to buy something from the club shop. Our reputation for involvement in the community is undermined if we push bookies names at every opportunity.
The club aren’t getting much revenue & are pushing items in the club shop to try & raise as much as they can from the merchandise.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

josie andrews wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:51 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:46 am https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55958315

The club aren’t getting much revenue & are pushing items in the club shop to try & raise as much as they can from the merchandise.
yet they advertise free postage and dont deliver....... ive recently been refunded for the tracky top i ordered before xmas...... waste of space that store and its not the first time....... most famous rugby club in the world and leigh have s better souvenir shop...... embarrassing...... not a dig at you by the way josie but my family spend a lot of money on wigan rugby and deserve better
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

But it's fine to promote tobacco companies and breweries and have done for decades. Where thousands die with illness generated by their products. If morality is part of who we have as sponsors there would never be any and no sport sorry but true
pedro

Post by pedro »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:12 pm

But it's fine to promote tobacco companies and breweries and have done for decades. Where thousands die with illness generated by their products. If morality is part of who we have as sponsors there would never be any and no sport sorry but true
thought that had been banned, I could be wrong, I do miss the silk cut challenge cup, regal trophy (jps trophy also)
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Firestarter wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:56 pm

yet they advertise free postage and dont deliver....... ive recently been refunded for the tracky top i ordered before xmas...... waste of space that store and its not the first time....... most famous rugby club in the world and leigh have s better souvenir shop...... embarrassing...... not a dig at you by the way josie but my family spend a lot of money on wigan rugby and deserve better
I’ve never had a problem with delivery ever!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I’ve never had a problem with delivery ever & I spend a lot of money too. If you have a problem, you should let them know I’m sure they will sort it for you 😊
jobo

Post by jobo »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:12 pm

Tobacco and booze have been barred as sponsers for years.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

josie andrews wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:42 pm

I’ve never had a problem with delivery ever & I spend a lot of money too. If you have a problem, you should let them know I’m sure they will sort it for you 😊
We have josie...... it was a proper b——-p from start to finish lol
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE