Shaun Edwards

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
ddtftf

Re: Shaun Edwards

Post by ddtftf »

Just watched the first half of Ireland v France the most boring 40 minutes of my life France dont need a defence coach as Ireland cannot attack pass or keep hold of the ball & the ref cannot see a knock on .

Going to watch some grass grow more exciting . :shock: :shock:
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

ddtftf wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:58 pm Just watched the first half of Ireland v France the most boring 40 minutes of my life France dont need a defence coach as Ireland cannot attack pass or keep hold of the ball & the ref cannot see a knock on .

Going to watch some grass grow more exciting . :shock: :shock:
It’s so boring isn’t it. I watched England Scotland last weekend with an open mind and the amount of time the ball isn’t in play it’s staggering.

It’s so stop start, penalties, simple errors and barely any eye catching attacking play.

It was half time then full time in the blink of an eye.

Not being totally bias as I have seen some cracking England rugby union games.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Ahhhhhh i have just sussed it there are too many players on the park lol
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

ddtftf wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:04 pm Ahhhhhh i have just sussed it there are too many players on the park lol
:lol:
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Firstly cards on the table. I like both RL and RU. I have never seen the logic that if you like one, you must dislike the other. I prefer RL which partially explains why I am on this forum and not the Sale one, but there you go.

Having played/watched both codes a *ahem* few years ago, it's interesting to compare/contrast.

Instinctively RU should be the more fluent game. RL has removed all competition for the football over the years (removing the ball steal with 2 players and ending competitive scrums the latest examples).

In RU competition for the football remains there for as long as the ball is in play (and this is what has shaped the tactics of the game).

The current rules and thinking in RU are ultimately geared around the above. That is why kicking is so prevalent- better to compete for the football further up the field than keep possession and risk losing it near your own tryline. Before RL fans are so quick to judge this, look how popular the "kick on the last" (or even before) is in RL- and the ball carrier in RL is largely protected from the opposition competing for the ball). It's the same principle.

Ironically rules that have been designed to make the game fluent, mean that fair interpretation of those rules is vital and risk is moved towards area of the pitch rather than possession.

So RL, which sometimes gets accused of "stop start", is actually, currently, more fluent than RU. Quicker play the balls and rule changes that encourage this further consolidate this position.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Whatever we think about him, and I've changed my mind drasticvally in the past year, Shaun is doing an excellent job with the Frence defense.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

southportcdm wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:23 am Whatever we think about him, and I've changed my mind drasticvally in the past year, Shaun is doing an excellent job with the Frence defense.
You are spot-on. His desire for success, his hatred of failure, his willingness to constantly improve and develop have made him a great coach. His track record in Rugby Union is testimony to his great qualities. Anybody who knows Shaun knew he would be a success, because winning and being the best is part of his DNA.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

They need an attacking coach not defensive if no one can score a try then whats the point, or as i said before just totally boring
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:46 pm
southportcdm wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:23 am Whatever we think about him, and I've changed my mind drasticvally in the past year, Shaun is doing an excellent job with the Frence defense.
You are spot-on. His desire for success, his hatred of failure, his willingness to constantly improve and develop have made him a great coach. His track record in Rugby Union is testimony to his great qualities. Anybody who knows Shaun knew he would be a success, because winning and being the best is part of his DNA.

How can they know? It would have been a possibility yes, but nowhere near a certainty.

Hanley was perhaps the most driven RL player of his generation. He wasn't a success as coach.

Anyway we will never know because SE/IL* can't write contracts or keep their word.

* delete as appropriate
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

medlocke wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:17 pm Deffo pissed on his chips :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐