New Prop

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
DaveO

Re: New Prop

Post by DaveO »

Am I the only one who thinks the club won't replace Burgess?

He was a marquee player on a big wedge and the club made a big financial loss. I think they will just save the cash.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

No Dave I don't think they will. Said in another thread think they will sign a prop from a lower division with good potential.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

I think the decision will be taken when they see how our younger forwards go this season.
When it comes to props there's Byrne, Kilner & Havard who are all in the first team squad and deserve a chance. Burgess' replacement, if there is one, won't be here before the start of the season.
So there is every reason for the club to play those three props in the first team before we go looking.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I guess that when we signed Burgess, everyone reckoned we needed a big prop. But now we have one unexpectedly in Singleton. So perhaps if noone of the right caliber is available we already have the replacement for Burgess.

Is prop the position we need to strengthen most? We did struggle to make metres in quite a few games last season, and i think our younger prop options aren't the greatest at that side of the game yet. So perhaps it is still a high priority area.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Mike wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:52 pm I guess that when we signed Burgess, everyone reckoned we needed a big prop. But now we have one unexpectedly in Singleton. So perhaps if noone of the right caliber is available we already have the replacement for Burgess.

Is prop the position we need to strengthen most? We did struggle to make metres in quite a few games last season, and i think our younger prop options aren't the greatest at that side of the game yet. So perhaps it is still a high priority area.
No Gelling, Sarginson, Charnley or Davies to help them out :o
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:00 pm
Mike wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:52 pm I guess that when we signed Burgess, everyone reckoned we needed a big prop. But now we have one unexpectedly in Singleton. So perhaps if noone of the right caliber is available we already have the replacement for Burgess.

Its true, wingers, FB and centres do the majority of metre making these days. I thought losing Marshall was a big blow for us last year as most of the metres from the back three came from him.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Mike wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:03 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:00 pm

Its true, wingers, FB and centres do the majority of metre making these days. I thought losing Marshall was a big blow for us last year as most of the metres from the back three came from him.
I agree about Marshall.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

DaveO wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:16 pm Am I the only one who thinks the club won't replace Burgess?

He was a marquee player on a big wedge and the club made a big financial loss. I think they will just save the cash.
Im the same mind Dave,saves a few quid on the wages to maybe be spent later on in the season.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Singleton came in and was outstanding. Really made a difference with his go forward and energy. Him and Bullock made a great pairing when starting.

When you look through the list of props on our books we do seem a little short of experience.

Singleton
Bullock
Clubb
Partington
Byrne
Havard
Clarke
Kilner
jao711

Post by jao711 »

With Bullock and Singleton up front the pack is more mobile.It had got a bit one paced.Bateman at loose and Farrelland Partington plus a choice from the bench or rotation there is no panic.