Wigan to play Leigh in Round 1

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan to play Leigh in Round 1

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors will face local rivals and newly promoted Leigh Centurions in Round 1 on the opening night of the 2021 Betfred Super League season at Leeds’ Emerald Headingley Stadium, live on Sky Sports.

Super League can announce that following a meeting of the fixtures working group and their recommendations agreed by the Super League Board, the 2021 Betfred Super League season will commence on Friday 26th March.

The season will kick-off with six games live on Sky Sports Arena across the weekend of 26-28th March. Super League club season ticket holders will also be able to watch their teams game via Our League and clubs will be in contact with details of how to access this ahead of the season.

The double header fixtures will be played behind closed doors on consecutive days, and in line with current Government protocols, at Emerald Headingley Stadium.

In a change to the initial 2021 format, the revised structure will now see teams compete over 25 rounds, including Dacia Magic Weekend. The season finale, the Betfred Super League Grand Final will take place as originally scheduled at Old Trafford on Saturday, 9 October. The change in format is due to the two-week delay from the original 11th March start date announced in December 2020.

The first game of new season sees a repeat of the 2019 Grand Final with reigning Champions St Helens facing last year’s Challenge Cup finalists Salford Red Devils (kick-off 6pm) before 2020 runners-up Wigan take on Leigh (kick-off 8:15pm).

Dacia Magic Weekend remains part of the calendar for 2021, however due to on-going Covid-19 crowd restrictions at sporting events, the proposed date for the St James’ Park showpiece, has been moved to 4-5th September.

For those who already hold tickets for the 2021 event, updated FAQs can be found here. Details of when any additional tickets will go on sale will be announced in due course.

On the announcement Rhodri Jones, Super League chief commercial officer, said: “With the start of the season a little over a month away, Super League would like to thank all our clubs, Sky Sports, our partners and the RFL for their tireless work in helping us make these announcements today.

“We look forward to continuing to work together throughout the 2021 season to deliver what promises to be another fantastic season.

“Confirmation that Dacia Magic Weekend remains an important part of the 2021 season shows our commitment to the event and thanks must go to Newcastle United in supporting us to achieve this.

“Whilst it is frustrating for all involved to not be welcoming fans back into our stadiums for the start of the season, we are hopeful that as the situation in the country continues to improve and the vaccine rollout nears completion, we will be seeing fans enjoying live sport again soon.

“We will continue to work with all of our stakeholders to ensure that we are ready to deliver the return of fans in a safe and secure way.”

Round 1, Emerald Headingley Stadium (all games live on Sky Sports Arena):

Friday 26th March

St Helens v Salford Red Devils, 6pm
Leigh Centurions v Wigan Warriors, 8:15pm

Saturday 27th March

Wakefield Trinity v Leeds Rhinos, 3pm
Catalans Dragons v Hull KR, 5:15pm

Sunday 28th March

Hull FC v Huddersfield Giants, 12:30pm
Castleford Tigers v Warrington Wolves, 2:45pm

Full fixtures for the 2021 Betfred Super League season will be published on Friday 26th February, marking one month to go until the new season kicks-off.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2021/02/ ... n-round-1/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
ancientnloyal

Re: Wigan to play Leigh in Round 1

Post by ancientnloyal »

Easy 2 points 🙄
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Easy two points or not I'd still play the strongest 17 we can. Further fixtures and maybe that 17 will not be available due to injuries, suspensions or so.
Best 17 to make sure as far as we can the two points are won.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

ancientnloyal wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:23 pm Easy 2 points 🙄
Not sure I'd say that to Ben Flower's face! Mind you, it's a bit like Wigan v Ex-Wigan.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Likely to be a higher than normal injury rate coming out of this derby, and this just the 1st game of the season.
doc

Post by doc »

Interestingly only round 1 fixtures have been released. What are SL playing at? Surely they could have announced the entire season at the same time rather than hanging on til the 26th?

Also no mention from the club re ST sales yet. I believe the Latics administrators shut down the ticket office as it was an unnecessary cost during lockdown so how are they going to get round this?

Hopefully we will be back to going to matches again in a few months.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

doc wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:20 pm Interestingly only round 1 fixtures have been released. What are SL playing at? Surely they could have announced the entire season at the same time rather than hanging on til the 26th?

Also no mention from the club re ST sales yet. I believe the Latics administrators shut down the ticket office as it was an unnecessary cost during lockdown so how are they going to get round this?

It is true that the ticket office being closed is causing a delay for us. But why would the administrators want it sorted any time soon when they will be raking in a pretty penny in fees!

I have been told that the club are hopefully going to release details about ST by the end of next week.

Quote from an email I received earlier this week;
I’m also pleased to confirm that after a lot of discussion yesterday, we believe that we’re almost there with the season ticket structure, subject to our legal team checking all the final drafts of the documentation. Fingers crossed we should have something to update everyone by the end of next week from the way things are looking.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

doc wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:20 pm Interestingly only round 1 fixtures have been released. What are SL playing at? Surely they could have announced the entire season at the same time rather than hanging on til the 26th?

What happens is that clubs are issued an initial fixture list and then they contact the RFL to discuss any changes they think maybe necessary. This is then looked at by the RFL and the list amended where practical. The final list is then issued to the clubs for approval before they get published to the fans. That's why there is a delay until the 26th.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Nezza Faz wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:50 pm Likely to be a higher than normal injury rate coming out of this derby, and this just the 1st game of the season.
Why do you think that?

What was the injury rate when the season resumed last year after such a long break?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:40 am
Nezza Faz wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:50 pm Likely to be a higher than normal injury rate coming out of this derby, and this just the 1st game of the season.
Why do you think that?

What was the injury rate when the season resumed last year after such a long break?
Because its leighs grand final and beating wigan means everything to them...... believe me i know more than most....... they also have a history of pushing the rules to the max when they play us....... that along with a lot of ex wiganers makes it pretty obvious
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE