New Prop

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Gerrumonside

Re: New Prop

Post by Gerrumonside »

Well I guess it’s a balancing act and if they are going to spend where do they strengthen? We have a couple of front line props and assuming Worst case clubb is injured all season we only have our young guns as backup.

We have 2 out and out wingers but with serious injury to their cv and not a fan of centres covering on the wing and ageing 2nd rows in Farrell and ISA both cracking players but what’s our cover there?

I’m sure the coaches see more than we do but I have a hunch Field and Bibby won’t be that effective when asked to cover on the wings and we may get found out a little - shame Burgess went to Salford!
Tricky Dicky1

Post by Tricky Dicky1 »

Firestarter wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:51 pm Sorry for being negative but all this prop thing has got me thinking........ we have 4 real backrowers(not including partington)..... smithies, bateman, faz n willie i think......... we have three out and out wingers including bibby( apart from the youngsters)....... now, considering marshy and dom arnt shy on injuries and faz and willie arnt getting any younger, wouldnt a back rower or winger be a better bet?........we have plenty props, so if we arnt confident then release and replace......... hopefully pearce paul will come through and solve the back rower thing....... too my knowledge we have lost 1 winger and gained none......and lost two back rowers and gained 1....... i could be wrong about this though
We also have Kai Pearce Paul who is an out and out 2nd row
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Tricky Dicky1 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:31 pm
Firestarter wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:51 pm Sorry for being negative but all this prop thing has got me thinking........ we have 4 real backrowers(not including partington)..... smithies, bateman, faz n willie i think......... we have three out and out wingers including bibby( apart from the youngsters)....... now, considering marshy and dom arnt shy on injuries and faz and willie arnt getting any younger, wouldnt a back rower or winger be a better bet?........we have plenty props, so if we arnt confident then release and replace......... hopefully pearce paul will come through and solve the back rower thing....... too my knowledge we have lost 1 winger and gained none......and lost two back rowers and gained 1....... i could be wrong about this though
I think I mentioned that in the original post pal....... hopefully he breaks through this year
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Levrier

Post by Levrier »

Tricky Dicky1 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:31 pm
So is James MacDonnell who has also looked useful but he also seems to be a bit behind the others who have already been blooded. Hanley, Halsall, MacDonnell, Paul, Kilner and Amir B(?) could all do with a bit of time out at a Championship club but with a smaller squad it is unlikely that they will all go this year. I know that Amir is at Halifax now and it should do him the world of good.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Gerrumonside wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:02 pm Well I guess it’s a balancing act and if they are going to spend where do they strengthen? We have a couple of front line props and assuming Worst case clubb is injured all season we only have our young guns as backup.

We have 2 out and out wingers but with serious injury to their cv and not a fan of centres covering on the wing and ageing 2nd rows in Farrell and ISA both cracking players but what’s our cover there?

I’m sure the coaches see more than we do but I have a hunch Field and Bibby won’t be that effective when asked to cover on the wings and we may get found out a little - shame Burgess went to Salford!
How many times have you watched Field play to make a decision he wouldn’t be used on the wing?

Do you not think Bibby did well on the wing at the end of last season?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

nathan_rugby wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:29 am
Gerrumonside wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:02 pm

I’m sure the coaches see more than we do but I have a *HUNCH Field and Bibby won’t be that effective when asked to cover on the wings
How many times have you watched Field play to make a decision he wouldn’t be used on the wing?

*Hunch; a feeling or guess based on intuition rather than fact.
doc

Post by doc »

Having watched him develop in the academy Shorrocks runs better lines at LF than any of the other candidates but needs to bulk up. Personally I see Isa starting the season there.

Long term I could also see Hastings making a good LF towards the end of his career as he has the size, ball handling skills and is a good defender. Given we have Powell, Field, Smith, Tommy, French, Hardaker and Hanley to fill in the rest of the pivot positions this could be a plan B rather than seeing Hastings filling in at Hooker like he did occasionally last year.
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

nathan_rugby wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:29 am
Gerrumonside wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:02 pm Well I guess it’s a balancing act and if they are going to spend where do they strengthen? We have a couple of front line props and assuming Worst case clubb is injured all season we only have our young guns as backup.

No mate - he’s steady but he’s no winger and we will get found out sooner or later
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Actually Field's never "winged it" so would be a whole new ball game for him, unless as a kid they plonked him there simply because he was rapid. But as senior, it's been FB and HB all the way, and wouldn't have the natural instincts a winger needs.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Like Greenwood you mean? :roll: