Set up

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Rennox89

Set up

Post by Rennox89 »

Not necessarily gossip, but heard hastings might be playing 13 this season. He was asked on social media about playing hooker and he replied loose forward. Anyone else hear this? Would be a great spine if we had French Field Leuleui Powell Hastings
nathan_rugby

Re: Set up

Post by nathan_rugby »

Rennox89 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:22 pm Not necessarily gossip, but heard hastings might be playing 13 this season. He was asked on social media about playing hooker and he replied loose forward. Anyone else hear this? Would be a great spine if we had French Field Leuleui Powell Hastings
He was asked what?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Rennox89

Post by Rennox89 »

He was asked if the rumour was true that he would be playing 9 this season and he replied "No, loose forward I think"
Tricky Dicky1

Post by Tricky Dicky1 »

He was taking the mick
Rennox89

Post by Rennox89 »

Argh right, is that we he told you?
bill.inger

Post by bill.inger »

After the dross he's read on this site, and others, (Redvee) about himself, I'm surprised he took time out to answer at all.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

I'd be ok with Jacko at 13. A scrum back three of Farrell, Bateman & Hastings would be one quality pack with Bullock, Powell & Singleton.
That would give us three halfbacks of Smith, Field & Leuluai with one off the bench.

We have a lot of quality in the squad and it's up to Lam to get the best out of the individual players and collectively as a squad/team.
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

I saw JH tell someone on Instagram the moon was made of cheese as well so that must also be true. 🙃
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:50 pm I'd be ok with Jacko at 13. A scrum back three of Farrell, Bateman & Hastings would be one quality pack with Bullock, Powell & Singleton.
That would give us three halfbacks of Smith, Field & Leuluai with one off the bench.

We have a lot of quality in the squad and it's up to Lam to get the best out of the individual players and collectively as a squad/team.
Hastings won MOS as a half and he had a great season for us in the same position last year setting up lots of tries.

Why move him from a position he has played his whole career so far?

Our downfall the last two years has been field kicking and a lack of go forward / metres making by the forwards. Moving Hastings to 13 will not help with the meters making, it will make it worse than having another Prop or Second Rower there.
It would be a case of too many cooks if he stayed at 13.

If you remove the “split halves” idea, having a 7 and 6 is enough hands to get the ball to the 1 and/or centres in space.

I’m denying the value of a true ball playing 13 but Hastings would be a half moved to 13.

His defence at 9 proved he’s capable and he does take a lot of drives in but a move to 9 or 13 could come later in his career if he continues growing. (His words on his podcast).

Hastings to 13 is a round peg square whole at the moment. Completely unnecessary.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Bateman will be Loose Forward