Burgess *not* guilty of Intimidation

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Wintergreen

Re: Burgess guilty of Intimidation

Post by Wintergreen »

By the sound of it he needs some serious advice before it's too late.
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

The plot thickens....
Original decision overturned.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

The booze hound wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:45 am The plot thickens....
its weird i dont believe either party

i dont believe that burgess would of been that intimidating and not actually assualted him - rubgy players arent known for self control and if he was as off the rails as is made out im sure a wound of sam would of physically got invovled

i dont believe sams version either than someone would start mouthing off at a 6ft lump of muscle ex rugby player unless its another equally well built party
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:43 am
The booze hound wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:45 am The plot thickens....
its weird i dont believe either party

i dont believe that burgess would of been that intimidating and not actually assualted him - rubgy players arent known for self control and if he was as off the rails as is made out im sure a wound of sam would of physically got invovled

i dont believe sams version either than someone would start mouthing off at a 6ft lump of muscle ex rugby player unless its another equally well built party
You'd be surprised how some people see that as a challenge or are just plain stupid.

i used to work behind a bar, and would often go out for nights out with some of the doormen. it was unbelievable how many (particularly smaller) men would try and have a go at them and try to start a fight.

another instance very similar i was on holiday in Turkey with my mates. Out on a night out with some lads from Nottingham, one of them big fella and could handle himself. We were walking between bars, and we hears Rambo, hey d***head Rambo, before a local taps him on the shoulder. Hey d***head Rambo, so the guy looks around and just ignores him, before he pulls a pool cue out and smashes it across his shoulders. Doormen on the club we were going to were watching all of this, and told us to come inside quickly, and next thing there was a full scale riot going on, with groups of locals, basically trashing anything they could get their hands on. Same scenario little guy picking fight with big guy but this time it went off good style and luckily we were inside having a pint :)
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Yeah i know on a night out you get a lot of small man syndrome but this a 64 year old bloke

like i say i don't trust either if im honest
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Think he got let off. I saw something the other day.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Sam Burgess: Ex-Rugby League star's intimidation conviction quashed

Former England Rugby League captain Sam Burgess has won an appeal to overturn his conviction for intimidating his former father-in-law in Australia.

Last month, a court ruled Mr Burgess had intimidated Mitchell Hooke with the aim of causing physical or mental harm.

The charge related to an alleged incident at Mr Hooke's home in 2019.

But an appeal court judge ruled that Mr Burgess's version of events should have been considered in the original verdict as cause for reasonable doubt.

"This was a case of the word of Burgess against the word of Hooke," Judge Mark Williams told a New South Wales court on Friday.

He quashed Mr Burgess's conviction and removed his penalty of a two-year good behaviour bond.

The alleged row between the pair had happened during a visit by Mr Burgess to his children after separating from his ex-wife, Phoebe Burgess.

The trial heard competing accounts, with Mr Hooke alleging Mr Burgess had said: "I'm going to get you. You've set all of this up."

Mr Hooke testified he had felt "absolute terror" that his former son-in-law would hit him during the argument.

Mr Burgess said that Mr Hooke had threatened him by saying: "I'm going to destroy you and your career."

The former sportsman asserted that his father-in-law had been the aggressor.

Justice Williams ruled the original verdict had not been proven beyond reasonable doubt.

Mr Burgess, one of Rugby League's biggest stars, was forced to retire in 2019 due to injury.
He was forced to step down from his assistant coach position at the South Sydney Rabbitohs club last October, after police began investigating other allegations against him.

The Australian newspaper reported that the National Rugby League (NRL) club had covered up alleged drug use and domestic violence by Burgess. Burgess has strongly denied the allegations.

The former Bradford Bulls player first joined the Rabbitohs in 2010, rising to become their star player and captain over 182 NRL appearances for the club.

He played 24 matches for England and two for Great Britain.
Burgess also had a short spell in Rugby Union and won five England caps.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-56452908
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

In the light of a court of law's ruling, shouldn't the title of this thread be altered ?
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Burgess *not* guilty of Intimidation

Post by Mike »

I think you're right!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Nezza Faz

Re: Burgess *not* guilty of Intimidation

Post by Nezza Faz »

Mike wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:49 pm I think you're right!
Well corrected, m'lud !