Lam previews Leigh

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
CheshireWarrior

Re: Lam previews Leigh

Post by CheshireWarrior »

For me, I'd like to see Bateman start at 13 but I think he is better suited to second row (on previous performances). Would only play him in the centre as a last resort.

Definitely Zak at FB, would like to see how Field looks at 6.
pedro

Post by pedro »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:08 pm For me, I'd like to see Bateman start at 13 but I think he is better suited to second row (on previous performances). Would only play him in the centre as a last resort.

rather play him at centre than 13
jackthelad

Post by jackthelad »

Its not going to happen but the most obvious player to play in the centres is Hankinson, its that simple

All this uncertainty about who's fit who's not, who's available, distrupting the pack etc...it's a bit of a pantomime
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Agree about Hankinson but we have to acknowledge that Lam isn't going to bring him back and if IL/Rads did our coach wouldn't play him.
Nothing Lam says ever convinces me he's on top of matters and knows his best 17 and when that isn't available he has a decent idea of what will bring a win.
I'm still of the opinion that we won the LLS and made the GF in spite of Lam and not because of him. A top class coach (McGuire ) with the right tactics and team selection would have won the GF with 10 points to spare.
We have an excellent squad and not withstanding injuries we should be incredibly confident of beating Leigh with 20 points plus. However, I'm just not that confident at all and think it could be a closely contested match.
Hope we win with a bag full!
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

pedro wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:36 pm
CheshireWarrior wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:08 pm For me, I'd like to see Bateman start at 13 but I think he is better suited to second row (on previous performances). Would only play him in the centre as a last resort.

I know people have said they have seen him play 13 In the NRL, but Batty at loose in a Wigan shirt is an 'unknown quantity'. I'm sure I've read before than he himself prefers the 2nd row!

medlocke

Post by medlocke »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:13 pm

I know people have said they have seen him play 13 In the NRL, but Batty at loose in a Wigan shirt is an 'unknown quantity'. I'm sure I've read before than he himself prefers the 2nd row!

Deal with it

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/jo ... eing-home/
pedro

Post by pedro »

medlocke wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:22 pm

Deal with it

yeah can see him doing it, if Lam does then hes a fool, as better managers than him didnt
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

pedro wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:35 am
medlocke wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:22 pm
Deal with it

yeah can see him doing it, if Lam does then hes a fool, as better managers than him didnt
Going to reserve judgment until I’ve seen him play there for a bit.

But I also agree, he’s played under a few coaches and all have predominantly played him as right second row.

Strange Lam has made a decision before even coaching Bateman. Nothing is set in stone though, it’s just a plan and number on a shirt. He could easily be moved and we add Partington or Harvard to loose and play with an extra prop.

If you have good link up at 1, 6 and 7, a ball playing loose isn’t necessarily required. It’s just more a luxury in all honesty, a very good and powerful one but not a deal breaker for winning games
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
pedro

Post by pedro »

yeah weve not had one for a couple of years now with Lockers injury record, id play Havard there
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

I'm sure Andy Farrell and Paul Sculthorpe started at 2nd row before moving to loose forward, and they did alright didn't they?

Let's see how it goes before moaning!!!