Zak Hardaker's joy at returning to full-back role for Wigan Warriors

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Zak Hardaker's joy at returning to full-back role for Wigan Warriors

Post by josie andrews »

Zak Hardaker’s excitement about the new season has gone up a notch after being reinstated to his preferred full-back role.

The Yorkshireman made a career for himself in the No.1 with Leeds and Castleford, and enjoyed a successful debut campaign with Wigan in that spot.

But the arrival of Bevan French saw him move to centre last season, a switch he admits took some adjusting.

With French late back from Australia after being given extra time to spend with his family, Hardaker has spent the last few weeks training at full-back.

I’m really looking forward to doing it, whether it’s two weeks, four weeks, I’m not sure,” said the 29-year-old.

“If Bevan comes in and he’s flying, it may be a case of me going back to centre. There’s no time frame, we’ll take it each game.

“Full-back is my favourite position and I’m looking forward to it but going forward, it’s wherever benefits the team.”

Hardaker settled into the right centre role and did a good job but by his own admission, he took time to make the adjustment.

I had those conversations with Lammy after lockdown, I’d play centre and not get as much ball or as many involvements as I’d like,” he said.

“But three or four weeks into it I grew into it and by the back end I really enjoyed the physicality of it.

“We felt we had the best right edge in the comp’.”

As full-back, he will take charge of the backs against Leigh on Friday night with youngsters Umyla Hanley, James O’Donnell and Sam Halsall on standby to play.

They have all played one competitive match for the club, against St Helens last year, and Hardaker said: “The young lads train hard, we all go hard together, we wrestle each other, we go toe for toe, so I’m confident as a senior lad that they will turn up and do their job.

“As a back five, I’ll be full-back, it’s my job to guide them and tell them what positions to be in and my role goes up a little bit. I’m fully confident in them.

“We’re gifted at Wigan of having youngsters coming through, and they keep getting better and better.

“I remember being at Leeds, one game I saw eight or nine names on the teamsheet I didn’t know and they beat us at the DW.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... rs-3175698
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Charriots Offiah

Re: Zak Hardaker's joy at returning to full-back role for Wigan Warriors

Post by Charriots Offiah »

I’m concerned about Zac mentioning playing fullback for four weeks.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:24 am I’m concerned about Zac mentioning playing fullback for four weeks.
Could be an indication of when the club think Bevan is likely to be back and fit to play.

Zak isn’t the sharpest tool so may not be anything in it at all.

Given our lack of options at Centre abs Wing, everyone would have guessed Field would start there.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Wes

Post by Wes »

Personally don’t think Bevan will come back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Wes wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:29 pm Personally don’t think Bevan will come back.

Lam said he arrived in UK over the weekend Due to his arrival back in the UK this week, Lam said that Bevan French: “Wouldn’t be considered for round 1.”
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Wes wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:29 pm Personally don’t think Bevan will come back.

Based on what?
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:26 am

Based on what?
Just his "personal opinion" he said Nathan !

Obviously wrong, perhaps unaware Wigan gave him extra time at home with sick parent.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Nezza Faz wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:03 am
nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:26 am

Based on what?
Just his "personal opinion" he said Nathan !

Obviously wrong, perhaps unaware Wigan gave him extra time at home with sick parent.
I can still ask him based on what. Personal views will still be based on some form of fact or opinion.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Just my opinion, if you had a really sick parent and your job was half way around the world would you want to go back to work, I sure wouldn’t.

If he’s back in the country the guy has some serious commitment to the club knowing he may lose a parent and not be in the same country and fair play to him on that basis.

I’d be happily proven wrong as I said it’s just my opinion based on zero evidence or in the know so to speak.

If he is here I actually feel for the bloke.