21-man squad v Leigh

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: 21-man squad v Leigh

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I’d have jai field on the bench tbh because I think this to me is a game for getting through with no major injuries- it’s probably the most dangerous game of the season for injuries being the first one back

I think having field on the bench would allow us to bring him anywhere from 1-7 depending on how the game is going and will also take the pressure off him

That’s my view
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
bertina

Post by bertina »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:38 pm I’d have jai field on the bench tbh because I think this to me is a game for getting through with no major injuries- it’s probably the most dangerous game of the season for injuries being the first one back

I think having field on the bench would allow us to bring him anywhere from 1-7 depending on how the game is going and will also take the pressure off him

That’s my view
Fully agree. Our pack should be well on top, so hopefully there will be gaps for us to exploit. Good time then to give Field a run, and as you say, it takes some pressure off the lad.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:56 pm
warriors01 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:51 pm Can’t believe Jackson not on bench after watching our attack last week. Hastings on one leg is our best attacking player by a mile. If it was St. Helens we were playing no doubt he would be in the team. Old saying never underestimate the opposition. Lam playing at Hardaker just feel it’s to keep the player quiet especially as he is the only first choice centre in the squad and we are desperate for centre and wings. Doesn’t make sense. Would like to have seen Field at fullback, centres Hardaker and Isa with Bibby and Hanley on wings. Halfbacks Smith and Tommy. Singleton and Bullock props, Sam at hooker. Second rows Farrelll and Bateman.loose forward Partington. Subs Hastings, Harvard, Shorrocks and Smithies. Hope Lam gets it right.
its the opening game against Leigh - what is the point of risking any player at this stage - we dont need to win this game that bad. I assume if Hastings was ready to go he'd be in there - as he isnt its a perfect opportunity for some younger players like smith (who with Jai will now be on limited game time) some time on the field
We do need to win this game, building confidence is essential. We do not want to start the season poorly.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Leigh Centurions Name Squad To Take On Wigan Warriors In Betfred Super League Round One

Leigh Centurions Name Squad To Take On Wigan Warriors In Betfred Super League Round One

Leigh Centurions have announced their squad to face Wigan Warriors on Friday, March 26 at Emerald Headingley in their first game of the 2021 Betfred Super League season.

Several players are in line to make their debuts for the Club including half-backs Joe Mellor and Blake Wallace as well as former Catalans Dragons and Wigan Warriors winger Lewis Tierney.

Leigh Centurions Head Coach John Duffy has also included Josh Eaves who is with the Club on loan from St Helens.

The game is available to view on Sky Sports.

Leigh Centurions squad to play Wigan Warriors

Ryan Brierley – sponsored by GM Projects Ltd

Matty Russell – sponsored by GM Projects Ltd

Iain Thornley – sponsored by AB Sundecks

Lewis Tierney – sponsored My Tech Repairs

Blake Wallace – sponsored by My Tech Repairs

Joe Mellor – sponsored by RM Couriers Ltd

Liam Hood – sponsored by Caton Lloyd Audio Visual Solutions

Mark Ioane – sponsored by Hydramed

Ben Hellewell – sponsored by Elvis Eckhardt Recruitment Solutions

Jordan Thompson – sponsored by MH Garage Equipment

Matty Wildie – sponsored by Ask Platt Office Supplies

Alex Gerrard – sponsored by Forward Leasing

Nathaniel Peteru – sponsored by Meadowbank Gardening

Matty Gee – sponsored by Tommy Sale Development Youth Development

Nathan Mason – sponsored by PAM Ties

Adam Sidlow – sponsored by ADS Marquees

Tyrone McCarthy – sponsored by ADW Electrical and EV

Keanan Brand – sponsored by Expert Surveying Services

Josh Eaves – on loan from St Helens

Unavailable or not selected

Jamie Ellis – sponsored by HIS Leigh

Matty Foster – on loan from St Helens

Tom Spencer – sponsored by The Centurion Pub

Tom Burnett – on loan from Warrington Wolves

Junior Sa’u – sponsored by Impact Insurance

Ben Flower – sponsored by C & S Tyres

James Bell – sponsored by The Leigh Arms

Brendan Elliot – sponsored by CS (Civils and Groundworks) Ltd

Craig Mullen – sponsored by Leigh Centurions Fans Forum

Nathan Peats – available for sponsorship, email katy@leighrl.co.uk

Coaching staff

Head Coach John Duffy – sponsored by PM Sampling

Assistant Coach – Micky Higham – sponsored by JRs Taxis

Assistant Coach – Jay Duffy – sponsored by Leigh Centurions Fans Form

Assistant Coach – Kurt Haggerty – available for sponsorship, email katy@leighrl.co.uk

https://leighrl.co.uk/wp/v2/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:48 pm
warriors01 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:51 pm Can’t believe Jackson not on bench after watching our attack last week. Hastings on one leg is our best attacking player by a mile. If it was St. Helens we were playing no doubt he would be in the team. Old saying never underestimate the opposition. Lam playing at Hardaker just feel it’s to keep the player quiet especially as he is the only first choice centre in the squad and we are desperate for centre and wings. Doesn’t make sense. Would like to have seen Field at fullback, centres Hardaker and Isa with Bibby and Hanley on wings. Halfbacks Smith and Tommy. Singleton and Bullock props, Sam at hooker. Second rows Farrelll and Bateman.loose forward Partington. Subs Hastings, Harvard, Shorrocks and Smithies. Hope Lam gets it right.
its the opening game against Leigh - what is the point of risking any player at this stage - we dont need to win this game that bad. I assume if Hastings was ready to go he'd be in there - as he isnt its a perfect opportunity for some younger players like smith (who with Jai will now be on limited game time) some time on the field
We do need to win this game, building confidence is essential. We do not want to start the season poorly.
in our double winning year we only won 1 of our first 3 games - this isnt football the league is irrelavent confidence wont be lost if we lose this game given the team we are putting out

that said i still think we will beat them
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:17 am
Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:48 pm

in our double winning year we only won 1 of our first 3 games - this isnt football the league is irrelavent confidence wont be lost if we lose this game given the team we are putting out

that said i still think we will beat them
Been saying that for years.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Personally I hate that attitude; nobody says the early rounds don't matter in the NRL, why shouldn't the same apply here? Paradoxically, the more that attitude seeps into SL, the worse the standard will get.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

What's up with Ben Flower? Is he injured?
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

moto748 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:43 am What's up with Ben Flower? Is he injured?
Yep he must have trained with wigan 😉
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

3. Hardaker
22. Bibby
11. Isa
28. Halsall
30. Hanley
6. Field
7. Leuluai