Fullback

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Suzieb

Fullback

Post by Suzieb »

I feel that fullback is zaks best position,and when available bevan should slot into the three quarters,centre or wing.The only reservation I have about bevan in the centres is his defence,what does everyone else think.
Fujiman

Re: Fullback

Post by Fujiman »

Suzieb wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:17 am I feel that fullback is zaks best position,and when available bevan should slot into the three quarters,centre or wing.The only reservation I have about bevan in the centres is his defence,what does everyone else think.
Fench FB no brainer.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

100% french coz of the link and the attacking options he gives us........ maybe in really bad conditions ide ever choose zak there before him
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Suzieb wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:17 am I feel that fullback is zaks best position,and when available bevan should slot into the three quarters,centre or wing.The only reservation I have about bevan in the centres is his defence,what does everyone else think.
No

French FB
Hardaker Centre

That’s the best overall combo as proven last year
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Is this because French stayed in Australia and didn't inform you he was coming back late?
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Fujiman wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:55 am
Fench FB no brainer.
Agree 100%. Zak doesn't have the pace or skills to be as effective as Bevan.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:39 pm
Fujiman wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:55 am
Fench FB no brainer.
Agree 100%. Zak doesn't have the pace or skills to be as effective as Bevan.
As well as the fact French hasn’t ever played centre.

Ludicrous to even suggest it
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

French was probably our most effective attacking player last season, and we looked a bit limited in attack without his contributions. Given how well he played in that role it would seem strange to not play him there. I don't think it's disputed that fullback is also Hardaker's best position. His defence is stronger than French's but his attack isn't quite as dynamic. Coming into this season French should be considered 1st choice fullback. Hardaker was also pretty good at centre last season, and his defensive efforts played a bit part in us reaching the Grand Final.

Every season is different though. Hardaker currently has the chance to remind everyone how good he is at fullback. When French is ready to play he'll presumably go back there but if he doesn't play well enough this year and if we find someone who can play competently at centre then maybe things will change.

It's not really an issue right now though. Having both in our starting 13 gives us options, and if Bibby can have a good year there's scope to move those players around at any time.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

I think Zak is very reliable and consistent when he plays fullback, it's also evident he prefers this role.

For me though, (as a FB), he doesn't have the flair or pace that he demonstrated at Leeds or Cas.

I though years ago, he looked similar to Tomkins in his ability to return the ball and join the line.

Bevan French isn't a centre or 6. He is 1 or 5. I said last season, Gildart and French would be a lethal combination (IMO) and French would literally score for fun week in week out. There's no denying how much pace and how good French is ball in had at FB!

That said if we have further injuries in the back line and or the youth do strugle (for whatever reason, hypothetically) a back line of the following isn't too shabby IMO:

1. Hardaker
2. Manfredi/Marshall/Hanley
3. BIbby
4. Gildart
5. French
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

EagleEyePie wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:29 pm French was probably our most effective attacking player last season, and we looked a bit limited in attack without his contributions. Given how well he played in that role it would seem strange to not play him there. I don't think it's disputed that fullback is also Hardaker's best position. His defence is stronger than French's but his attack isn't quite as dynamic. Coming into this season French should be considered 1st choice fullback. Hardaker was also pretty good at centre last season, and his defensive efforts played a bit part in us reaching the Grand Final.

Every season is different though. Hardaker currently has the chance to remind everyone how good he is at fullback. When French is ready to play he'll presumably go back there but if he doesn't play well enough this year and if we find someone who can play competently at centre then maybe things will change.

It's not really an issue right now though. Having both in our starting 13 gives us options, and if Bibby can have a good year there's scope to move those players around at any time.
If Bevan doesn't play well then, in my opinion, there is no chance of silverware.