Bateman to auction boots for Masoe

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Bateman to auction boots for Masoe

Post by josie andrews »

John Bateman is set to auction off his playing boots from Friday’s Betfred Super League game against Wakefield Trinity in support of Mose Masoe.

The Wigan Warriors forward will sign the boots and all of the proceeds from the winning bid will be donated to The Mose Masoe Foundation.

The Foundation has been launched to raise funds to help relieve the financial and mental hardship of players who suffer spinal injuries affecting their welfare and quality of life.

Former Samoan international Masoe, who suffered a career-ending and life-changing spinal injury last January when playing for Hull Kingston Rovers, will be the first beneficiary.

It is hoped the fundraising campaign will raise enough money to be able to help Mose, his partner Carissa and their three young children, daughters Evie-Rose and Marlowe and baby son Lui, whilst they are living in the UK and when they return home to Australia.

Speaking to Sky Sports after the comprehensive victory against Wakefield Trinity, Bateman explained why his match-winning boots will be up for grabs:

“With round two being dedicated to him and obviously he and his family are going through a tough time at the moment with everything that has happened, I just wanted to put my boots up for auction for them.

“These ones are match worn, obviously, so if anyone out there wants to put a bid in, everything that’s raised will go to him and his family.

“Every penny helps and I’m sending my best wishes to him and his family.”

Interviewer Jenna Brooks even provided him with chance to have a playful exchange with former Warriors forward Terry O’Connor, claiming that he was keen on acquiring the boots, only for Bateman to reply:

“I think they’re too big for him – they’re size nine-and-a-half!”

Details of how to bid on the boots will be released in due course.

For this weekend’s Betfred Rugby League round of fixtures, fans are being urged to buy ‘virtual tickets’ as the sport comes together in a huge fund-raising effort to support Masoe.

Fans can choose to donate either £5, £10, £15, or £20. The virtual tickets will be a donation only, as a gesture of solidarity within the Rugby League community, meaning a Sky Sports subscription is still required to watch the games as normal.

Virtual Tickets can be bought now to start the huge fundraising effort

The ‘Virtual Ticket’ is the first money-raising effort announced, with those supporting Mose hopeful the togetherness of Rugby League will help raise a huge initial amount over the weekend of 1st-3rd April.

To find out more about the Mose Masoe Foundation visit www.mosemasoefoundation.co.uk

How to buy your ‘virtual ticket’

Text 70085 and;

5MOSE to donate £5
10MOSE to donate £10
15MOSE to donate £15
20MOSE to donate £20
Texts cost amount donated plus one standard rate message.

Make sure you don’t miss a minute of Wigan’s 2021 campaign – stay in touch with all the action by ordering a season ticket now!

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2021/04/ ... for-masoe/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Bateman to auction boots for Masoe

Post by josie andrews »

I’ve donated twice for the “Virtual Ticket” bought the second one this morning when I got my pension.

I had trouble both times with the text number & ended up donating via the HKR Community Fund & then today direct to the Mose Masoe Fund.

I’ve got confirmation emails with both donations for Mose. That’s in case anyone else has difficulty with the text number.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Number was ok for me Josie.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:55 pm Number was ok for me Josie.
It just kept saying there was a fault. Glad you got through 😊

I did donate twice through the two foundations for Mose 😊