Wigan Athletic takeover is complete - ending club's spell in administration

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Wigan Athletic takeover is complete - ending club's spell in administration

Post by josie andrews »

Latics spent nine months facing uncertainty in administration

The Phoenix 2021 Limited group have become the new owners of Wigan Athletic.

The group, who are from Bahrain but are based in the United Kingdom, have formally completed the deal on Tuesday March 31 to rescue the Latics and finally put an end to one of the darkest chapters in the club's 89-year history.

The sale allows for the non-football creditors to be paid a minimum dividend of 25p in the pound which means that Latics will avoid a 15-point deduction and bolster their chances of remaining in Sky Bet League One.

Phoenix 2021, who are owned by former investment banker Abrulrahman Al-Jasmi, are fronted by Bahraini businessman Talal Mubarak Al-Hammad.

The incoming Wigan Athletic chairman has already made a connection with the Latics supporters via social media due to his motivational messages and thoughtful gestures.

While the group is based in Bahrain, they have a very experienced football team in place to run the operations domestically.

The group of football advisors includes Mal Brannigan, whose recent experience of running football clubs was in the Republic of Ireland with Dundalk and in Scotland at Dundee United, football finance and strategy expert Doctor Thomas Markham, Doctor Oliver Gottmann, and long-serving Latics' Finance Director Richard Bramwell.

Over the last nine months in administration, there is no denying that it has been an incredibly tough period for everyone associated with the club, but Latics fans can now feel relieved that their special football club will have a future for everyone to look forward to.

On a historic day for Wigan Athletic Football Club, incoming chairman Mr. Talal Al-Hammad said:

“ This is the start of a new chapter in the history of Wigan Athletic. We feel extremely proud and happy at Phoenix 2021 Limited, in having completed the acquisition and I would like to congratulate Mr. Al Jasmi and everyone who participated in completing this new and promising acquisition.

“Personally, I feel excited and happy to start this new challenge. When I read messages from the supporters, I automatically feel positive and optimistic about the club's future. I thank all the fans who stood by the club, especially in the last nine months. Wigan Athletic fans are no different from a family standing together through thick and thin.

All of the staff and players have gone to great lengths for this club despite the limited resources and tools in recent months. For the sacrifices of all the staff – not just the football staff – we are very thankful because they are the real heroes here. We can only thank them for all they have provided and for supporting the club in such circumstances.

“As a group, we have been looking forward to this day for what seems an eternity. The day has now come and I must thank the Wigan Athletic Official Supporters’ Club and Wigan Council for their excellent support. Our communication has been extremely encouraging, as has the dialogue with our local MP, Lisa Nandy. I would also like to place on record my thanks for the efforts of Rob Turner and his team at Brabners LLP.

“Above all, the encouragement we have received from all Wigan Athletic supporters everywhere has been overwhelming and heartfelt, underlining that the decision to be part of Wigan Athletic’s future is the right one. The fans have stayed with the Club through a very dark period and we will do all we can to make sure the future of the Club is a much healthier and stable one.”

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... 90221e51bd
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Caboosegg

Re: Wigan Athletic takeover is complete - ending club's spell in administration

Post by Caboosegg »

I thought that everything should be english these days? Why are we letting our countries institutions be run by foreign companies and owner.....
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
morley pie eater

Re: Wigan Athletic takeover is complete - ending club's spell in administration

Post by morley pie eater »

Can someone enlighten us on any implications for Wigan (us)? Living in darkest Yorkshire and not being in the habit of reading soccer reports, I have no idea who owns the ground or if there are other effects on rugby.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐