Why Adrian Lam has team selection dilemma for Challenge Cup tie

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Why Adrian Lam has team selection dilemma for Challenge Cup tie

Post by josie andrews »

Adrian Lam admits he faces a “tricky” balancing act when it comes to selecting his team for Friday’s Challenge Cup tie.

The Warriors take on Championship outfit York City Knights looking to secure a place in the quarter-final.

Wigan will be strongly fancied to claim the victory, particularly after their comfortable 34-6 win against Wakefield last Thursday to secure back-to-back wins on their return to Super League action.

On the one hand, Lam may see this as a good chance to give some of his squad players some game-time – particularly as there is no reserve competition this year.

Experienced props Tony Clubb and Mitch Clark haven’t figured in their opening two rounds, while youngsters Sam Halsall and James O’Donnell have also twice been unplaying members of the 21-man squad.

But on the flipside, Lam has seen combinations in his side develop in the opening two rounds and may not want to disrupt that.

And players who have been moved out of position – such as Liam Farrell and Willie Isa to centre – may benefit from another match in their makeshift roles.

“It’s a tricky one, because with so many changes in the side, do you run with that to get some repetitions into them and combinations into them?” said Lam.

With no reserves, we have to take into consideration the players who have been in the 21 and not been in the 17, do we get them some game time?

“So I’m not too sure yet.

“But I know it’s a competition we’re very passionate about, as a club we have a love affair with the Challenge Cup.”

While Lam is undecided about his team plans, he has no doubt about the quality of their opponents.

York have been promoted to the Championship this term, coach James Ford is highly-rated and his squad includes Super League veterans such as Adam Cuthbertson and Ryan Atkins.

Lam, interestingly, is a City Knights fan because of his love of the Yorkshire city – which he describes as his “favourite place in the UK”.

“We want to respect York and put our best team out there, it’s not going to be as easy as some people will try and build it up to be – a Championship team against a Super League team,” he added.

“It’s at York, they’re building as a club, I’ve watched them quite closely and it’s going to be a tough game.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... ie-3188972
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
southportcdm

Re: Why Adrian Lam has team selection dilemma for Challenge Cup tie

Post by southportcdm »

I'd like to see Clark given a match, we need him in the next couple of weeks and we need to see if he's improved from last season. Clubby probaby needs a game but I'm not sure if both he and Clark with play. I think I'd start Harry Smith with Tommy on the bench. Jackson needs game time so he will play and I'd give Umyla another game too as we'll proably need him later in the season. I was interested to see that Shorrocks played a few minutes at hooker near the end of the game and. if Lammy thinks this could be a viable option, perhaps he should be givemn more time there. As Faz and Willie will have to play centre for another week or two they should both start (Faz more so than Willie?). I know it's a must win game and York will be highly motivated but their new ground is modern, the pitch is good and there's no crowd so I don't see any reason why there should be a shock result even if we rest a couple.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Play the kids!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Mike wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:34 pmPlay the kids!
I would not its a game we need to win we have done this in the past and got egg on our face.We need to select a balanced team as we have only played 2 games its not the time to have a weakened side they all need match fitness .
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Do we need to win it? personally id like to see us focus on the league this year - CC is great but without fans i feel like a cup competition loses all its glory and teams that win it rarely go on to win the league.

We know we might have a big turnover in players at the end of this season - so personally id like to see us focus on winning the main comp and at the moment we havent got the depth through injuries to risk our first team or close to it on this match

let the kids have a go - and see if we can get through but for me dont risk a squad in which the back line is so thin on the ground in this match
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

jaws1 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:34 pm
Mike wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:34 pmPlay the kids!
I would not its a game we need to win we have done this in the past and got egg on our face.We need to select a balanced team as we have only played 2 games its not the time to have a weakened side they all need match fitness .

If you can't play kids and fringe players in this game, they'll never have played at all when injuries force you to use them. If they can't beat York then we're in trouble.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:53 pm Do we need to win it? personally id like to see us focus on the league this year - CC is great but without fans i feel like a cup competition loses all its glory and teams that win it rarely go on to win the league.

We know we might have a big turnover in players at the end of this season - so personally id like to see us focus on winning the main comp and at the moment we havent got the depth through injuries to risk our first team or close to it on this match

let the kids have a go - and see if we can get through but for me dont risk a squad in which the back line is so thin on the ground in this match
There’s more money winning the CC than there is winning the GF!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wigan_forever1985

josie andrews wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:44 am
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:53 pm Do we need to win it? personally id like to see us focus on the league this year - CC is great but without fans i feel like a cup competition loses all its glory and teams that win it rarely go on to win the league.

is that still true with no/little fans?
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
pedro

Post by pedro »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:12 am

id imagine so as there have been bigger attendances in the GF for the last 3 years that the CC
Wigan_forever1985

pedro wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:28 am
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:12 am

id imagine so as there have been bigger attendances in the GF for the last 3 years that the CC
but Josie is saying that the CC is the biggest earner - my understanding (and i could be wrong) is that the CC is worth more to the clubs because of fan money - with little or no fans again probably this year is the CC worth more?