Ranking the top five rugby league pundits

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Ranking the top five rugby league pundits

Post by josie andrews »

Having successful pundits will always be a big part of rugby league and has been since the summer game came into being in 1996.

In those 25 years, the TV channel has seen many pundits come and go with some incredibly popular and some not so.
But, just which five pundits do we think rank as the best in rugby league?

5. Brian Noble

He’s been there and achieved everything possible in the game, so Brian Noble’s knowledge of rugby league is perhaps second to none. Always one to share excellent points for “viewers who are new to the game”, Noble gets on well with those in the studio and brings a bit of spark and humour to proceedings.

4. Jon Wells

Jon Wells gets stick from rival fans for the fact that he is well involved with Castleford, yet also sometimes analyses their games live on Sky Sports. However, his understanding of rugby league is staggering to say the least and his touch screen board used at half-time and full-time gives viewers unique demonstrations into team moves, structures and specific occurrences during a game. Wells also refuses to pull any punches and always gives his honest opinion.

3. Jon Wilkin

An ever-present for the BBC’s Challenge Cup coverage, Jon Wilkin is a very useful asset to have on the broadcasting channel that sometimes seems out of touch with the modern viewer. The ex-Saints and Toronto man only retired last season so he is still pretty much clued up about what it takes to be a professional rugby league player in the new decade. Plus, his knowledge and insight is extremely beneficial.

2. Tony Rea

Again, another pundit that knows what he is talking about, former London boss Tony Rea has impressed greatly whenever he has been asked to appear on Sky. Far away from the ‘fence-sitters’ that you would normally find with guest speakers, Rea voices his opinion charismatically and studiously, getting his point across without offending anyone. Giving Rea a more permanent role would certainly add spice to what appears to be a stagnant punditry set-up and would definitely be a popular choice.

1. Jamie Peacock

Like Jon Wilkin listed above, Jamie Peacock has become a regular with the BBC in recent seasons and provides welcome insight whenever he is on the punditry team. Revered throughout the game, Peacock undoubtedly attracts increased attention due to the way he commands an audience, plus he is actually a really good speaker too. A former prop that has won everything possible in the game, who better to speak from experience than Peacock?

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/ranking- ... its-38425/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Ranking the top five rugby league pundits

Post by josie andrews »

Agree with 4 out of the 5!

I’d replace Peacock with Kevin Brown, as he has always been very articulate, like Jon Wilkin, when he has been in the studio with the ‘always interrupting’ Brian Carney!!

(Does my head in that he doesn’t let anyone finish what they are saying before jumping in with something else 😤)

I would have both of those, Brown & Wilkin, along with the others mentioned, replacing all the idiots on Sky! 😊
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Jon Wells leaves Castleford

Jon Wells is set to leave his role as Director of Rugby at Castleford after over three years at the Tigers.

Wells, who is also an analyst on Sky Sports, tendered his resignation late last month and will leave Castleford in the weeks ahead after working his period of notice.

The former Castleford winger was appointed in March 2018, but is now set to focus on his Sky Sports commitments instead.

With Daryl Powell already confirmed to be leaving at the end of the year, it is set to be a busy time for Castleford behind the scenes.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/jon-well ... ord-38481/
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I like Jon Wells. He's one of the few that I feel give insight into the modern game. The rest tend to talk in generalities, and i won't even start on McDermott and O'Connor.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Mike wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:23 pm I like Jon Wells. He's one of the few that I feel give insight into the modern game. The rest tend to talk in generalities, and i won't even start on McDermott and O'Connor.
McDermott - absolutely terrible. Always comes up with things like “he isn’t really that type of player” or “he does have that in his locker”

Says it in every game for many players so it carries little value and he’s clearly making it up.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:28 pm
Mike wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:23 pm I like Jon Wells. He's one of the few that I feel give insight into the modern game. The rest tend to talk in generalities, and i won't even start on McDermott and O'Connor.
McDermott - absolutely terrible. Always comes up with things like “he isn’t really that type of player” or “he does have that in his locker”

Says it in every game for many players so it carries little value and he’s clearly making it up.
His party. piece is of course his medical reports, quite convinced said player has "over extended his flexing treacle muscle in his left bicep" or other such nonsense only for the player to get up and wander off to carry on playing.

Hes a nice guy but hopeless as a pundit
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Top of RL pundits/commentators, no question is Andrew Voss.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Nezza Faz wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:32 pm Top of RL pundits/commentators, no question is Andrew Voss.
The whole NRL punditry / commentary / analyst team get it spot on for me.

They just call it as it is. They don’t try to overhype or oversell anything.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Nezza Faz wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:32 pm Top of RL pundits/commentators, no question is Andrew Voss.
By a country mile pal...... he also gets excited by class players and plays..... he doesnt dwell on indiscipline like some commentators
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

From a Sky perspective, I'd have to say Jon Wells all day! I'm not sure if this is simply because he analyses games/players but, I think he does it well and is unbiased.

Baz n Tez are never going to quite be Eddie and Stevo are they lol.

BBC, I always think he sounds a bit thick (probably because of his Yorkshire accent).....Mr Peacock. Jon Wilkin seems to be in his element. Not a fan of Jonathan Davies, I think Paul Cullen talks a good game when commentating.