21-man squad v Hull FC

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: 21-man squad v Hull FC

Post by josie andrews »

Andre Savelio details allegation of racist remark during Wigan-Hull clash

Adrian Lam vowed to tackle any incidents of racism "head on" after Andre Savelio made an allegation of a "racist remark" during Wigan's 16-14 win against Hull FC.

The controversy marred another victory for Lam's unbeaten Warriors, in a dress-rehearsal for their Challenge Cup meeting in nine days.

Towards the end of the first-half, referee James Child called the captains together to inform them he was putting on report an "allegation of a racist remark".

FC forward Andre Savelio is caught on TV footage naming Wigan prop Tony Clubb - who was not on the pitch at the time - for the comment.

Savelio has since issued a statement on Twitter, not naming Clubb specifically but identifying him as a player who left the action and didn't return - which would refer to Clubb.

He wrote: “Listen there’s no reason at all for me too (sic) lie, I didn’t report it initially as I was going to deal with it myself the next time we came into contact, he got taken off the play after - and never came back on.

"For him too (sic) call me a STUPID POLYNESIAN **** in a game where 30% are of that heritage hell I won’t sit quietly, I’ve seen these things happen enough to know most of the time there’s never enough proof on these - but I swear it on my Mums’… I’m just hopeful a camera or microphone clocked it and it’s dealt with."

Lam said he hadn't spoken to Clubb before speaking to the media via Zoom, and said the allegation was not the reason why the prop didn't appear in the second-half.

He said: "I’ve come down from the gantry and got the news from down below. I have no comment at the moment until we get to the bottom of what the allegation is.

“As a club we’ll follow protocols and see how it unfolds over the next 24 hours.

"It’s a hard one to comment on until I know what’s actually been said or what the allegation is... we will make sure when it’s brought up that we take it head on."

The RFL's match review panel will now scrutinise footage and possibly speak to those involved and nearby before deciding whether to issue any charges on Monday.

Lam's counterpart Brett Hodgson said Savelio was "pretty upset" after the game.

“I don’t know too much about it, I heard the same thing you have but we’ll have to wait and see what comes of it," said the FC coach.

“If it is the case it’s pretty disappointing, but I don’t want to speculate, I don’t know the details.

“He’s not good, he’s pretty upset. I don’t want to speculate on what was said, we need to work out exactly what happened and see what progresses."

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... sh-3219905
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

My take on the game.

1 - Hastings was great, went missing early second half but came alive again towards the end. Needs to improve his kicking game massively and stop booting it high in the air for the sake of it.

2 - Smithies improving game on game at left second row and looks absolutely solid there. He is making great meters in attack and not giving away penalties.

3 - smith not the finished product. Glimpses of quality followed by stray passes and bad decisions on the last tackle.

4 - Hardaker was trying too hard and ended up having an average game abs making mistakes

5 - Farrell solid at centre

6 - Byrne has great energy and enthusiasm. Needs to run at gaps and angles rather than straight at the defenders as he doesn’t make many yards. Cannot fault him in defence though. That aggression is fantastic.

7 - quiet games from French, Bibby, Isa, Havard, Shorrocks,

8 - Bateman , what’s going on? Doesn’t really seem to be offering much above being solid?

9 - Powell solid as always but I wish he would offer a little bit more on attack.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

josie andrews wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:03 am Andre Savelio details allegation of racist remark during Wigan-Hull clash

Adrian Lam vowed to tackle any incidents of racism "head on" after Andre Savelio made an allegation of a "racist remark" during Wigan's 16-14 win against Hull FC.

The controversy marred another victory for Lam's unbeaten Warriors, in a dress-rehearsal for their Challenge Cup meeting in nine days.

Towards the end of the first-half, referee James Child called the captains together to inform them he was putting on report an "allegation of a racist remark".

FC forward Andre Savelio is caught on TV footage naming Wigan prop Tony Clubb - who was not on the pitch at the time - for the comment.

Savelio has since issued a statement on Twitter, not naming Clubb specifically but identifying him as a player who left the action and didn't return - which would refer to Clubb.

He wrote: “Listen there’s no reason at all for me too (sic) lie, I didn’t report it initially as I was going to deal with it myself the next time we came into contact, he got taken off the play after - and never came back on.

"For him too (sic) call me a STUPID POLYNESIAN **** in a game where 30% are of that heritage hell I won’t sit quietly, I’ve seen these things happen enough to know most of the time there’s never enough proof on these - but I swear it on my Mums’… I’m just hopeful a camera or microphone clocked it and it’s dealt with."

Lam said he hadn't spoken to Clubb before speaking to the media via Zoom, and said the allegation was not the reason why the prop didn't appear in the second-half.

He said: "I’ve come down from the gantry and got the news from down below. I have no comment at the moment until we get to the bottom of what the allegation is.

“As a club we’ll follow protocols and see how it unfolds over the next 24 hours.

"It’s a hard one to comment on until I know what’s actually been said or what the allegation is... we will make sure when it’s brought up that we take it head on."

The RFL's match review panel will now scrutinise footage and possibly speak to those involved and nearby before deciding whether to issue any charges on Monday.

Lam's counterpart Brett Hodgson said Savelio was "pretty upset" after the game.

“I don’t know too much about it, I heard the same thing you have but we’ll have to wait and see what comes of it," said the FC coach.

“If it is the case it’s pretty disappointing, but I don’t want to speculate, I don’t know the details.

“He’s not good, he’s pretty upset. I don’t want to speculate on what was said, we need to work out exactly what happened and see what progresses."

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... sh-3219905
Well this doesn't look good for Clubb then, you hope that a player wouldn't be stupid enough to post it all over twitter unless there was truth in it.

If there isn't I hope there's come back for Savelio,
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:21 am My take on the game.

1 - Hastings was great, went missing early second half but came alive again towards the end. Needs to improve his kicking game massively and stop booting it high in the air for the sake of it.

2 - Smithies improving game on game at left second row and looks absolutely solid there. He is making great meters in attack and not giving away penalties.

3 - smith not the finished product. Glimpses of quality followed by stray passes and bad decisions on the last tackle.

4 - Hardaker was trying too hard and ended up having an average game abs making mistakes

5 - Farrell solid at centre

6 - Byrne has great energy and enthusiasm. Needs to run at gaps and angles rather than straight at the defenders as he doesn’t make many yards. Cannot fault him in defence though. That aggression is fantastic.

7 - quiet games from French, Bibby, Isa, Havard, Shorrocks,

8 - Bateman , what’s going on? Doesn’t really seem to be offering much above being solid?

9 - Powell solid as always but I wish he would offer a little bit more on attack.
Good post that nathan……… only thing i disagree with is bibby…… i think his workrate has improved massively
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Just watching the game fully and i cant believe how much s@@t the sky team are trying to cause between the fullbacks and bevan etc……concentrate on the good points of the game please……. They really do pee me off…… controversy rules
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:21 am My take on the game.
I agree with most if your take apart from I though Shorrocks had a very good game

Isa was the same as always ran in hard , defended well and had some good passes to Bibby.

I think Bibby just looked quiet as most of our plays favour the wing French is on with it switching only when that gets shut down.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
warriors01

Post by warriors01 »

Good result. Bevan was poor at fault for both of their tries. Hardaker made some poor decisions in attack and needs to leave the goal kicking to Smith who is a natural kicker. Could be costly in CC. The young forwards got us through Byrne, Smithies and Shorrocks who is getting better all the time, and is going to put pressure on Partington at loose forward because he has better handling skills, as seen in the pass he threw to Hastings in assisting Bibbys try. As for Clubb if true should not play again for Wigan and Kilner should be given a chance.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

warriors01 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:10 am Good result. Bevan was poor at fault for both of their tries. Hardaker made some poor decisions in attack and needs to leave the goal kicking to Smith who is a natural kicker. Could be costly in CC. The young forwards got us through Byrne, Smithies and Shorrocks who is getting better all the time, and is going to put pressure on Partington at loose forward because he has better handling skills, as seen in the pass he threw to Hastings in assisting Bibbys try. As for Clubb if true should not play again for Wigan and Kilner should be given a chance.
What is Smiths goal kicking conversion ratio from the academy?

I don’t think there’s any pressure on Partington at loose, he’s doing great!
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

My take on the game was

It was a hard game for both team and neither I felt ever got into a flow they missed Reynolds composure

We were a bit sloppy but for the job done I think Zak was in the crest of his early wave tonight and was trying too hard but still had a decent game. Hastings was class and I thought singletons first stint was excellent

Bateman seems quiet not playing badly but very much a bit part player and french also seems very quiet

On the clubb incident - it’s sounds a very odd insult to through at someone - not calling him a liar but usually racially inspiring insults are simpler terms - Polynesian isn’t something you’d expect to be on the top of someone’s tongue but that said it’s that random that it’s a weird thing to make up so who knows - if it is true then clubb needs to be dealt with properly no room for it in our clubb or our game
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
warriors01

Post by warriors01 »

Can’t quote figures for Smith. But was the goal kicker when playing for England academy, so suggest he’s with go. Partington’s doing ok,a real grafter and aggressive but just lacks something in attack. IMO Shorrocks in time could fill a ball playing loose forward role better. Time will tell and it’s good to have competition.