Clubb suspended

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
medlocke

Re: Clubb suspended

Post by medlocke »

8 games and £500 fine Release him and finally bring in the much needed prop
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

If it's word against word then surely the club will appeal?
With something as important as these allegations then it does seem odd that it may be evidence is not required.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

https://www.superleague.co.uk/article/1 ... tony-clubb

I'm sorry but what on earth does this mean

" reasonably satisfied, taking into account the seriousness of the charge, that the words were said"

Since when did the "seriousness of the charge" have an impact on the degree to which "reasonable satisfaction" (whatever that is) needs to be there?

I don't know whether Clubb is guilty or not, but the RFL are laughable.

Imo it smacks of a Wigan player being hung out to dry for the RFL to "prove" they are not racist in the current climate.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Wintergreen wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:23 pm https://www.superleague.co.uk/article/1 ... tony-clubb

" reasonably satisfied, taking into account the seriousness of the charge, that the words were said"

Since when did the "seriousness of the charge" have an impact on the degree to which "reasonable satisfaction" (whatever that is) needs to be there?

Imo it smacks of a Wigan player being hung out to dry for the RFL to "prove" they are not racist in the current climate.
So Guy Kearl QC, the chair of the panel, doesn't know his bottom from his elbow? :P :P
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Lazy J

Post by Lazy J »

In this case when it’s he said she said, the club and clubb couldn't win, so they should take the 8 matches support the player and move on
There are 10 types of people, those who get binary and those who dont!
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

morley pie eater wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:26 pm
Wintergreen wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:23 pm https://www.superleague.co.uk/article/1 ... tony-clubb

So Guy Kearl QC, the chair of the panel, doesn't know his bottom from his elbow? :P :P
His words not mine. He's admitted as much. *shrugs*

Looks like the RFL got their wish.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

It also says that they do not believe that Clubb is a racist. Now if that is the case then why does he get an eight match ban when, a player questioning a referees parentage as well as accusing him of being biased gets considerably less?
Fan4Fifty

Post by Fan4Fifty »

It certainly sounds like there is no direct evidence from mics or the like and that they have taken Savellio's word. There is maybe a hint in the 'minimum sentence' that it's a case of the RFL not feeling able to 'do nothing' in the current environment but equally not comfortable throwing the book at Clubb. In other words, potentially something of a cop out (and that comment is not intended to justify racist comments in any shape or form. If Clubb made the alleged comments then some punishment is justified).

What must happen now is that our forwards maintain discipline in the cup game and not go hunting Savellio if they feel that their mate has been badly done to. There will be niggle - though maybe less if Connor is banned. The best thing we can do is put up a strong winning performance and move on.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

There was no way Clubb was walking away from this Scott free after a year of “taking the knee”he just wasn’t,now it does seem to have come down to a he said/she said situation which given the gravity of the charge,and how it’s likely to follow him round for evermore is not good enough.

Wigan should now quietly release him in the hope he can get on with his life as I’m now sure he has a career in RL left after this.
Welski

Post by Welski »

I don’t know if I’ve missed it but surely If there is no evidence to prove what was said what’s to stop any player alleging racist remarks against another in order to get them banned for 8 weeks?
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League