Clubb suspended

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Smithy82

Re: Clubb suspended

Post by Smithy82 »

Time for wigan to cancel his contract
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

josie andrews wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:20 pm When are players going to stop this “take the knee?”

I don’t think there is a need for it especially when players raise their arm & make fist!
Why josie? Racism and lack of equality aren't a problem?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Mike wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:20 am
josie andrews wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:20 pm When are players going to stop this “take the knee?”

I don’t think there is a need for it especially when players raise their arm & make fist!
And at present what is this action achieving?

Nothing hard come from it has it unless I’ve missed something,rascism is a much larger problem as we know that to boil it down to this.
Last edited by fozzieskem on Wed May 05, 2021 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

josie andrews wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:04 am
Mike wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:20 am

I just don’t like it Mike. Racism works both ways IMO but that’s just me I suppose.

We are told we can’t fly the Union Jack or an England flag at our homes in case it upsets someone! Can you imagine telling patriotic Americans they can’t fly the Star Spangled Banner outside their homes?

We, as English, are always worried about upsetting others with no regard about how it upsets us.

The world is just bloody crazy & I hate being a part of it now if truth be known!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Well said Josie its served its purpose so lets move on regarding Clubb i would release him and move on
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

exiled wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:34 pm
thegimble wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:11 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:05 pm

A lot of people writing on this post need education.
Go on then educate us. Seems its only your education we should be allowed. Ecerone has an opinion you do not like it go educate yourself on it.

Looking at what was on Facebook, it was stated that Clubby called him a 'polynesian c##t'. to me that is not racist, hence my post. If he had said you brown c##t, then yes he deserves everything. However, i bet everyone who goes to a game calls players, the ref, touch judges and opposition supporrters names. My point, is that, if calling a player by his origin (e.g. Yorkshire scum) deemed as racism, then where ,does it stop!!!
Not sure if we are straying into legality but

"It is against the law to discriminate against someone because of:

gender reassignment
marriage and civil partnership
pregnancy and maternity
race
religion or belief
sex
sexual orientation"

Is what Clubb and others on the sports field have breached or is it Sports Body rules?
stevethegas

Post by stevethegas »

Calling for Clubb’s head over this seems inappropriate to me. He appears to have made a mistake, but then who hasn’t?
Surely we have a duty of care for all the people who work for our great club. No employer should treat their employees as disposable, that’s too cynical and uncaring.
Other players in the past have had issues, but by support we have got the best from them.
Tony Clubb is a good player, I look forward to seeing him play in the future.
Stevethegas
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

stevethegas wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:02 am Calling for Clubb’s head over this seems inappropriate to me. He appears to have made a mistake, but then who hasn’t?
Surely we have a duty of care for all the people who work for our great club. No employer should treat their employees as disposable, that’s too cynical and uncaring.
Other players in the past have had issues, but by support we have got the best from them.
Tony Clubb is a good player, I look forward to seeing him play in the future.
I understand what you mean but Clubb a good player? You must of watched different games to me
stevethegas

Post by stevethegas »

That seems unkind Barney.
Clearly I was watching games differently
And have no intention of kicking someone when they are down.
Stevethegas
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

DaveO wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:41 pm
fozzieskem wrote:
stevethegas wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:22 pm The RFL is a civil rather than a criminal court, so the burden of proof moves to the “most probable” rather than the “beyond any reasonable doubt” which would apply in a criminal trial.
Most people when falsely accused of something are vehement in their denial. We haven’t heard such a denial, so I guess that’s why the verdict is guilty.
Racism is wrong. No place for it now or ever. Rugby League has a proud history of inclusion, producing the first ever black captain of a British team, and great heroes such as Boston, Hanley, Offiah and so on.
It’s a history to be proud of and one we need to protect. So while lots may be said in the heat and excitement of a full blooded game, there is a line that can’t be crossed. This event sounds like it was, unfortunately.
I agree with you,as the weekend dragged on and no word coming from Clubb I felt it was going to end like this,becuase club or no club if someone accused me and I hadn't said it id have been on the phone to a lawyer or some sort,regardless of what the club had told me to do.
Hard to say why there was nothing from Clubb but the window of opportunity to say anything was short. Savelio was all over the media with his claim and Clubb could have reacted instantly but soon after it was a disciplinary issue and it’s virtually unheard of for a player facing a potential disciplinary charge to comment publicly.

Wigan could have also banned him from commenting.

Whether his silence put him at a disadvantage we don’t know.

The QC and the panel had to make a judgement without the benefit of any recording but it’s not unusual for judgements to be made based on the balance of probabilities.
Sorry but that is simply not true.