George Williams

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
DaveO

Re: George Williams

Post by DaveO »

Dan2266 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:04 am
The first refusal is basically Wigan saying "You cant sign for anyone else without letting us know prior to doing so, then its up to us if we want to offer you a deal or not"
So it's completely pointless then because what Wigan can't do is prevent the player form talking to other clubs
once he's spoken to Wigan.

No player is going to just listen to what Wigan put on the table and the term "first refusal" is misleading. It makes it sound as if Wigan offer him a deal he is contractually bound to take it which is not the case.

It's just another one of those silly terms IL is fond of using when Wigan lose a player to an NRL club to make it sound less painful but in reality is meaningless.

Even without "first refusal" any players agent would be talking to Wigan anyway but they would also want to listen to offers from several clubs so in reality it makes zero difference.
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

DaveO wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:23 am
Dan2266 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:04 am
The first refusal is basically Wigan saying "You cant sign for anyone else without letting us know prior to doing so, then its up to us if we want to offer you a deal or not"
So it's completely pointless then because what Wigan can't do is prevent the player form talking to other clubs
once he's spoken to Wigan.

No player is going to just listen to what Wigan put on the table and the term "first refusal" is misleading. It makes it sound as if Wigan offer him a deal he is contractually bound to take it which is not the case.

It's just another one of those silly terms IL is fond of using when Wigan lose a player to an NRL club to make it sound less painful but in reality is meaningless.

Even without "first refusal" any players agent would be talking to Wigan anyway but they would also want to listen to offers from several clubs so in reality it makes zero difference.

Exactly, its basically a fan pleaser, and only essentially means Canberra cant sell him without giving Wigan a heads up or opportunity to match a transfer fee.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:20 am Going back to my earlier point about why would GW sign for Wire when their best players are leaving. Yeah, we all know about the money and short careers etc. Built in to any contract will be bonuses for making finals, winning them and all sorts of incentives. Plus there is likely to be an incremental factor written in the deal.

Wire seem to be all over the place at the moment. With those players leaving they will leave a large hole in the squad but also plenty money available to bring in new talent. Spending a substantial amount of that on one player surely would be misguided. Powell is at Wire 2022 so his advice on signings is crucial. He knows those who are leaving and those who are nearing the latter years of their playing careers. Powell has a real re-construction job to do at the HJ.

Doing a deal with GW and his agent will be delicate but we've heard the lad wants to play at Wigan. A good stint of negotiations might well see him sign for us with Wigan being the better club and the one he is more likely to win trophies at. Plus the money will be quite tidy too.
Take home pay can't be that variable these days surely because of the cap?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Mike wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:29 pm
Wiganer Ted wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:20 am Going back to my earlier point about why would GW sign for Wire when their best players are leaving. Yeah, we all know about the money and short careers etc. Built in to any contract will be bonuses for making finals, winning them and all sorts of incentives. Plus there is likely to be an incremental factor written in the deal.

Wire seem to be all over the place at the moment. With those players leaving they will leave a large hole in the squad but also plenty money available to bring in new talent. Spending a substantial amount of that on one player surely would be misguided. Powell is at Wire 2022 so his advice on signings is crucial. He knows those who are leaving and those who are nearing the latter years of their playing careers. Powell has a real re-construction job to do at the HJ.

Doing a deal with GW and his agent will be delicate but we've heard the lad wants to play at Wigan. A good stint of negotiations might well see him sign for us with Wigan being the better club and the one he is more likely to win trophies at. Plus the money will be quite tidy too.
Take home pay can't be that variable these days surely because of the cap?

Everything counts on the cap, there is a squad bonus for winning the shield/GF/CC but each are a set figure (say £50k) split between the squad, then £150k of our cap is taken up by bonus'. Individual bonus's do not exist as far as I am aware (or if they do they are capped at a certain value within the salary cap).

Assuming Wigan won everything all 3 bonus's would be paid and we would still be under the cap,

As we can not win the CC this year, that squad bonus (£50k) could be used for however we see fit.

It could be used on players wages for the remainder of this year, but then comes the problem of trimming the wages back down for the next season.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

So individual bonus can easily beoffset by a bigger base salary. So you go where the base is more than base plus bonus at another club.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Mike wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:20 pm So individual bonus can easily beoffset by a bigger base salary. So you go where the base is more than base plus bonus at another club.
Pretty much what 99% of the players do, It goes without saying Williams will be the highest earner when he returns, I think this is the reason we as a club are happy to pass on the likes of Lawler and King, yes they are top players, but they were asking for too much money. King will no doubt be Marquee if he signs for KR & Wigan could not offer him that, and rightly so.

In my opinion based on what I know, Williams will be the first signing for next season, once that is finalised (signed) we will then focus on other areas of the squad.

I believe Gildart, Hastings, French, Hankinson & Clark will all definitely be moving on.

Manfredi's renewal is based on him proving fitness this year.
George Burgess is not out of the question for next year either

Its going to be very very busy the next few months, lets just hope those in charge get it right.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Jake Truman and George Williams looking like the half back pairing next year at Warrington :cry: :cry:
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

ddtftf wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:53 pm Jake Truman and George Williams looking like the half back pairing next year at Warrington :cry: :cry:
Fuckkkkk dreading hearing similar later on :( :( :( :(
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Dan2266 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:13 pm
ddtftf wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:53 pm Jake Truman and George Williams looking like the half back pairing next year at Warrington :cry: :cry:
Fuckkkkk dreading hearing similar later on :( :( :( :(

Still hearing the same, Williams to Wigan. One of us has been informed wrongly, I'm praying its not me :lol: :lol: be interesting to see what happens because both our info is usually spot on
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Hope i am wrong but my info is from a family member who said Warrington were looking favourites :? :? to sign him