Today’s team

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Today’s team

Post by josie andrews »

fozzieskem wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 1:01 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:55 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:28 pm Hanley looked well out of place on the wing but again why have Hardaker there?

I dont know Salford are so poor without Watson at the helm Wigan will win but this constant playing players out of position is mind boggling even with injuries pick a side and stick to it or as near as is possible but Lam seems unable to do this.

As others have said surely with that academy of ours there should be ready made replacement for positions to stop this constant playing of players out of position
We aren’t very good at producing centres for some reason.

Only Gildart and Goulding in last 10-12 years come to mind.
Fair point but unless the youngster who is in the academy side isn’t getting a chance when injuries come calling when will they get one?

Surely giving a kid a chance is better than this obsession of player merry go round?
Sam Halsall was there today, was in the warm up & he is a centre!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Firestarter wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 1:36 pm Doesnt look good for french but in all honesty i really dont think his hearts in it for wigan anymore…… i hate to admit this as he puts bums on seats
He seemed happy today, if anything it’s John Bateman who hasn’t looked happy since he came back & it shows in his play IMO
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Firestarter wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 1:36 pm Doesnt look good for french but in all honesty i really dont think his hearts in it for wigan anymore…… i hate to admit this as he puts bums on seats
He limped out after the game & said it was his hamstring. I did offer to massage it for him if needed which made him titter 😂😂
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

josie andrews wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 5:50 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 1:01 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:55 pm

We aren’t very good at producing centres for some reason.

Only Gildart and Goulding in last 10-12 years come to mind.
Fair point but unless the youngster who is in the academy side isn’t getting a chance when injuries come calling when will they get one?

Surely giving a kid a chance is better than this obsession of player merry go round?
Sam Halsall was there today, was in the warm up & he is a centre!
I couldn’t remember Sam’s name but yes he was always Impressive in his academy games so really why wasn’t he given a start today because against that Salford side that was the time to try the young ones out
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

josie andrews wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 6:03 pm
He seemed happy today, if anything it’s John Bateman who hasn’t looked happy since he came back & it shows in his play IMO
Let’s cut to the chase Josie,John has been fairly woeful,by his high standards since his return I know it takes them awhile to get back in the groove once they return but he’s been well off the mark so far this season.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Top of the league!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Mike wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 6:54 pmTop of the league!
🙌🏼 👍🏼
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

Bateman had a poor game today but I think the expectations people are placing on him are unrealistic (not people on here as such but just in general) He won’t make line break after line break and score a couple of try’s a game now just because he’s had a good stint in the NRL. He didn’t do that before and it’s the same bloke. I read people saying how poor he was at Leigh last week. He made 37 tackles and ran for 162 metres in that game. He was one of the only players to come out of the Hull game with any credit. Is he at his best? I wouldn’t say so but if he cuts out the silly errors he’s let creep in, it won’t take much to get back there.

We have far far bigger issues than the form of John Bateman. The man trying to get the best out of Bateman being a major one.
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

I agree in Lam we have problem. I don’t think Shorrocks as ever played centre in the academy never mind the first team. Our attack is getting worse by the game and when we have a player like Hastings that’s difficult to understand. Yes we are top of the league but let’s not kid ourselves, that’s because we’ve played Leigh twice, Salford and Wakefield. If we continue to play like have been doing it could get embarrassing against Catalan. Big test for our forwards next week. Something needs to change with our attack would suggest moving Hastings to hooker and bring Tommy into the halves. Maybe Hastings can get us on the front foot like he did in the play offs against Hull. Sam offers very little in attack.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

NICKYKISS wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 7:34 pm Bateman had a poor game today but I think the expectations people are placing on him are unrealistic (not people on here as such but just in general) He won’t make line break after line break and score a couple of try’s a game now just because he’s had a good stint in the NRL. He didn’t do that before and it’s the same bloke. I read people saying how poor he was at Leigh last week. He made 37 tackles and ran for 162 metres in that game. He was one of the only players to come out of the Hull game with any credit. Is he at his best? I wouldn’t say so but if he cuts out the silly errors he’s let creep in, it won’t take much to get back there.

We have far far bigger issues than the form of John Bateman. The man trying to get the best out of Bateman being a major one.
It’s not a Bateman issue it’s a team issue. We are so disjointed in attack that it is hard to believe.