Adrian Lam's plan of attack for Wigan Warriors

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
morley pie eater

Re: Adrian Lam's plan of attack for Wigan Warriors

Post by morley pie eater »

Mike wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 11:45 pm We are happy with the 7 from 7 dross. :lol:
:lol:

If we'd blown away the 6 teams we've played, there would be legitimate concern that we were peaking too soon/using all our best moves/"wait til we get injuries" and so on. People and, it seems, Wigan fans in particular, like a good moan.

Marvin the Paranoid Android would fit in well on here:
Arthur: I lived on a beautiful planet once.
Marvin: Did it have oceans?
Arthur: Oh yes; great big rolling oceans.
Marvin: I hate oceans.
If we'd been offered 7/7 at the start of the season, who would have said "Only if we play everyone in the position I think is best, and we don't give any penalties away, and Lammy says the right things...."?

"We've got improvement in us" may be a cliché, but with Gilly, Tommy, Field, Marshy and more sitting in the stands, there's surely room for a pinch of optimism?

Has it occured to anyone that it may not be the dross that puts people of, but the constant moaning from the fans?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

morley pie eater wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:38 am
Mike wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 11:45 pm We are happy with the 7 from 7 dross. :lol:
:lol:

If we'd blown away the 6 teams we've played, there would be legitimate concern that we were peaking too soon/using all our best moves/"wait til we get injuries" and so on. People and, it seems, Wigan fans in particular, like a good moan.

Marvin the Paranoid Android would fit in well on here:
Arthur: I lived on a beautiful planet once.
Marvin: Did it have oceans?
Arthur: Oh yes; great big rolling oceans.
Marvin: I hate oceans.
If we'd been offered 7/7 at the start of the season, who would have said "Only if we play everyone in the position I think is best, and we don't give any penalties away, and Lammy says the right things...."?

"We've got improvement in us" may be a cliché, but with Gilly, Tommy, Field, Marshy and more sitting in the stands, there's surely room for a pinch of optimism?

Has it occured to anyone that it may not be the dross that puts people of, but the constant moaning from the fans?
Whilst I agree 7 wins in 7, best start to a super league season ever for us and consideration for our injuries should not be scoffed at. My issue is the way in which we are playing, the manner of our wins and the fact this is Lam's 3rd season and we look like the same team that took over.

So far we have lost almost every big game we have played under him.
- Saints in GF
- Leeds in CC semi
- Hull just knocked us out in the semi
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

Yes we all agree it’s a good start, but the way the fixtures have fallen, we should have been disappointed if we hadn’t been top. Our performances have been poor and that’s because our attack has been awful, especially in the last 2 games when we have had French, Manfredi, Hardaker, Bibby , Smith and Hastings available. We should be doing better. It will have to be better this week or it could be embarrassing. It’s a long season but for me, for Lam to be here next season, it’s a GF win or a change is needed. 3 years without a major trophy is a failure with the squad Lam has had to choose from.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

After just watching the cats saints game i think wigan should beat them.Neither team looked anything special and we all know wigans attack is going to click sooner or later
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Saints are much like Wigan at the moment spluttering but winning (for the most part at least)the biggest danger is Catalan as you never know what Catalan side will turn up on the day,if Wigan play as they have been doing then they will turn Wigan over assuming they in turn remember that they’re playing that day of course.

Happy with the start but the style of play is atrocious so far from Wigan and while I’m not expecting miracles with the injuries but I do find odd this constant chopping and changing of players and playing them out of position
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

I think Woolf has changed Saints style of play. They seemed to have gone more defensive, typically Aussie and less expansive. I think that’s also down to Roby not being as quick as he was around the rucks. If we don’t win the forward battle against Catalan, the match will go the same way as it did against Hull.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I must admit I didn't expect Cats to get past Saints without Sam Tomkins. Or even with him, tbh.

Maybe, instead of saying that it just proves how Saints have regressed (not saying they haven't, a bit), we should accept that Catalans will also be a challenge?
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Going back to a previous point which has been overlooked:

(Pre-Covid), Wigan's crowds are falling. I guess that the age profile is weighted towards over-60s - not a viable business model. Adding the "Warriors" tag hardly created a Bradford Bulls-type surge in numbers (and should be dropped imo, but that's a side-issue).

My view is that we'll only attract more younger fans with a sense of excitement and, most of all, atmosphere on match days.

I admit that I watch a game and, though I shout a bit, I'm more likely to discuss events than help create any atmosphere.

So what do we think is the problem? Or is there none?

And to what extent does the answer lie in our hands, rather than IL's or Rads'?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Free tickets, fill the place. Make it an event that everyone wants to be at. Generate a buzz. Just like Toronto was able to do.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

morley pie eater wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 6:35 pm Going back to a previous point which has been overlooked:

(Pre-Covid), Wigan's crowds are falling. I guess that the age profile is weighted towards over-60s - not a viable business model. Adding the "Warriors" tag hardly created a Bradford Bulls-type surge in numbers (and should be dropped imo, but that's a side-issue).

My view is that we'll only attract more younger fans with a sense of excitement and, most of all, atmosphere on match days.

I admit that I watch a game and, though I shout a bit, I'm more likely to discuss events than help create any atmosphere.

So what do we think is the problem? Or is there none?

And to what extent does the answer lie in our hands, rather than IL's or Rads'?
Crowds have been falling for a good few years and it’ll take more than giving a few tickets away to remedy the issue,as I’ve said I don’t see a massive return to full house signs once the green light is given people have gotten out of the habit of going to the game and that was pre pandemic.

I look up at the south stand and see that “it’s a rugby town”flag up there and I don’t think that’s the case anymore,football has always been there in the background but now it’s sucked away the youngsters and I doubt the sport will get them back ever and what we are left with is an aging fan base (count me in in that)and no one coming behind to replace me once,many moons from now I’m no longer able to go.

The sport is looking down the barrel and I can’t see a way back for it at present as gloomy as that sounds