George William's released by Canberra

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Charriots Offiah

Re: George William's released by Canberra

Post by Charriots Offiah »

medlocke wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 10:11 am Austin to Canberra
George to Wire on a fee with immediate effect
Question mark, Question mark
:D
Seizer to Canberra.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

fozzieskem wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:21 am I said in another thread this virus and the restrictions being placed on us will surely focus players mind on both sides of the world I fully expect to see a wave of players return home after this season ends and quite where that leaves the World Cup is anyone’s guess

As for Williams clear he told them enough was enough and I applaud him for it,if nothing else this pandemic has shown the value of family and no job is worth missing them for if you get homesick.

Will Wigan sign him I suspect so to me he was settled here before he left I always felt he would return probably more than Bateman to be honest.

We shall see.
George was homesick from day one, he is a home bird.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

He gave it a go and showed he can thrive over there. Now he can come home. While the standard and profile is far higher over there I would much rather be in Standish, or Bryn, or Orrell (or lots of other parts of the Ancient and Loyal Borough!) than Canberra.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:08 am From what I see Bevan French is very happy at wigan My money is on him staying. He is a family man why would he be having builders starting extension on his home in next week if he was going back. We will see .
Thought Bevan was living in George Williams house in Springfield 🤔
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

josie andrews wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:07 am
keptinthedarkfans wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:08 am From what I see Bevan French is very happy at wigan My money is on him staying. He is a family man why would he be having builders starting extension on his home in next week if he was going back. We will see .
Thought Bevan was living in George Williams house in Springfield 🤔
Two words josie…….spanner and works
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Dan2266 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:58 am
Firestarter wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:50 am
Dan2266 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:44 am

I mentioned the Luke Thompson rumours on another thread because Wigan felt they could of used French as part of a potential transfer in the off season.

Now French is linked with an immediate release (and we need a prop) I thought the rumours would re surface that the Bulldogs would be happy to release Thompson for us if we released French for them.

I know for a fact we have spoken to Thompson and given how he left saints he would have no issue playing for Wigan.

Williams will be a Wigan player again 100% (just when) French will also not be here next season.

I think Player welfare comes into it with French, something isn't right here.
Cheers dan its plain to see regarding bevan.Its also real funny how lam said wigan would see the extent of his injury on monday but still nothing said.All a bit fishy but wigan always act fishy when negotiations are in progress.It all makes sense what you say as they have clearly been holding back on a prop till other things are finalised.It got me thinking early season when zak kept harping on about returning to fullback
French may of played his last game for Wigan, possibly out for the season.
kitdf beat you to that one!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Mike wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:08 am
Dan2266 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:58 am
Firestarter wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:50 am
Cheers dan its plain to see regarding bevan.Its also real funny how lam said wigan would see the extent of his injury on monday but still nothing said.All a bit fishy but wigan always act fishy when negotiations are in progress.It all makes sense what you say as they have clearly been holding back on a prop till other things are finalised.It got me thinking early season when zak kept harping on about returning to fullback
French may of played his last game for Wigan, possibly out for the season.
kitdf beat you to that one!
I'm just happy when I hear the same things as him
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 10:48 am

Should never have gone then. I have long thought players need to examine why they really want to go to Oz more carefully than they seem to do.

When Pat Richards came here he used his RL ability to get him a job so he could experience life in the UK and Europe. The motivation wasn't the RL but the chance to experience living here and look how long he stayed. He could have earned more by staying put in the NRL. A positive attitude and reasons beyond RL to go and live somewhere else.

I am sure the offer of lots of $$$$ has a huge influence on players wanting to go to the NRL and we always here about the "challenge" of it (which to be honest I take with pinch of salt) but if you are only going for those reasons and have no desire to actually experience living in another country then in my opinion homesickness is almost guaranteed.

The players tend to be young when they go so maybe aren't the wisest (but Richards was when he came here) and I suspect they have their heads turned by agents pretty easily but someone needs to sit down with them and ask them are they going for the right reasons.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

DaveO wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:11 am

Should never have gone then. I have long thought players need to examine why they really want to go to Oz more carefully than they seem to do.
I'm not sure you know you're going to be homesick until it happens TBH. (I know you're going to tell me that everyone 100% does know this and there's no chance that they dont...)
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

DaveO wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:11 am

When Pat Richards came here he used his RL ability to get him a job so he could experience life in the UK and Europe. The motivation wasn't the RL but the chance to experience living here and look how long he stayed. He could have earned more by staying put in the NRL. A positive attitude and reasons beyond RL to go and live somewhere else.

I am sure the offer of lots of $$$$ has a huge influence on players wanting to go to the NRL and we always here about the "challenge" of it (which to be honest I take with pinch of salt) but if you are only going for those reasons and have no desire to actually experience living in another country then in my opinion homesickness is almost guaranteed.

The players tend to be young when they go so maybe aren't the wisest (but Richards was when he came here) and I suspect they have their heads turned by agents pretty easily but someone needs to sit down with them and ask them are they going for the right reasons.
Fully agree with that statement Dave! Always say the grass isn’t always greener but more often the money is!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan