Wigan sign Ian Thornley 30 years old from Leigh

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
medlocke

Re: Wigan sign Ian Thornley 30 years old from Leigh

Post by medlocke »

Is this a piss take or what like, Lenners penny pinching has turned this once great club into a laughing stock, If it's not former players coming back from failed contracts it now looks like he's gonna bring has beens and never where's back to the club.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I was a fan of Iain when he was a very promising yougster but he never hit the heights we hoped for. If he signs now this is a sign that we don't expect Gilly to be fit this season or for some time? If he signs for next season it's simply a money saver. Rumours of Thornley and Gelling really make me question my decision to pay for season tickets that I've not been able to use.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Charriots mentioned up skilling.
Last time they were here both players could put on 100 mtrs a game.
Both could carry the ball out of our 10/20 area and put us on the front foot. Having big sized backs scooting from dh is so much faster than having a 9 at dh, this is the reason I think we're interested in two 6'5" centres.
That's not including their ability and size near the opponents try line.

Two good signings for next season in view of our current failings.
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

Don’t mind Thornlley. As long as we get Williams, Sutton and Luke Thompson, no to Gelling.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

fozzieskem wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:42 pm
CheshireWarrior wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:35 pm I can swallow the idea of either Thornley or Gelling (prefer Gelling personally) to replace Hankinson.

If anyone at the club thinks that because they are previous players, the right side of 6ft or are in the same league as Gildart......we are going to have problems!

Saints = Naiqama
Leeds = Hurrell
Salford = Watkins
Hull = Griffin (prick)

I could go on, are any of the above of less quality than or less inspiring than Thornley or Gelling? I don't think so!
Watkins looks to be slowly getting back to his best but I wouldn’t have any of that list tbh
I agree with you Fozzie. Hurrell is a turnstile, Naiqama is no great shakes and I doubt that Saints will retain him and Griffin in my opinion flatters to deceive. The one guy I would have is Sarge.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Graham1 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 9:12 pm Don’t mind Thornlley. As long as we get Williams, Sutton and Luke Thompson, no to Gelling.
I am sure the Club will have a few recruits lined up for 2022 and that may mean that we have to cut our cloth to keep within the salary cap rules. Let’s see what evolves and judge IFL and Rads when everyone is on board.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Firestarter wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:03 pm I thought he did ok for us till the injuries…… he also looked ok in the first leigh game when he bust us open a couple of times…… still, a very suprising signing….. is it with immediate effect?
Yeh thats true, a bit of a wasted talent with a silly flirt with Union. Considering age, Mr Hankie would be a bettter bet.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

ian.birchall wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:29 pm
ddtftf wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:40 pm Ian Thornley is a direct replacement for Ian Gildart next year WHAT THE BLOODY HELL IS GOING ON
Ian Gildart, that's really what I call an old boys reunion. 😱
Lol, missed that one but don't joke, it might happen.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Glass half full - is this cost cutting to get George here now?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wiganer Ted wrote:Charriots mentioned up skilling.
Last time they were here both players could put on 100 mtrs a game.
Both could carry the ball out of our 10/20 area and put us on the front foot. Having big sized backs scooting from dh is so much faster than having a 9 at dh, this is the reason I think we're interested in two 6'5" centres.
That's not including their ability and size near the opponents try line.

Two good signings for next season in view of our current failings.
Two good signings? Are you mad?

Gelling is absolutely rubbish and he was when he was here last time. A complete liability. Cost more tries than he scored with his complete inability to play as part of a team shooting out of the line for a big hit etc.

Thornley was also let go because he wasn’t good enough.

Resigning players who were never good enough is ridiculous