Wigan sign Ian Thornley 30 years old from Leigh

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Nezza Faz

Re: Wigan sign Ian Thornley 30 years old from Leigh

Post by Nezza Faz »

DaveO wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:28 pm
Wiganer Ted wrote:Charriots mentioned up skilling.
Last time they were here both players could put on 100 mtrs a game.
Both could carry the ball out of our 10/20 area and put us on the front foot. Having big sized backs scooting from dh is so much faster than having a 9 at dh, this is the reason I think we're interested in two 6'5" centres.
That's not including their ability and size near the opponents try line.

Two good signings for next season in view of our current failings.
Two good signings? Are you mad?

Gelling is absolutely rubbish and he was when he was here last time. A complete liability. Cost more tries than he scored with his complete inability to play as part of a team shooting out of the line for a big hit etc.

Thornley was also let go because he wasn’t good enough.

Resigning players who were never good enough is ridiculous
+1 and wouldn't renew season pass, if these are direct 1st Team signings.
mjdodge13

Post by mjdodge13 »

Mb an unpopular opinion, but I think it’s a good signing.
We definitely need cover in the centres this season due to the injuries and I assume Hankinson is deemed not good enough by Lam because he hasn’t been recalled from his loan spell.
We are bringing in a 30 year old (Not actually that old......how old was some of the best players in history when they signed for Wigan?) Wigan lad with big match experience as outside back cover.
He’s big, strong, decent speed and ghosted through us in round 1 to score.
He will be a very good squad player for the next couple of years and I actually think he looks more athletic then he did when he last played for us.

Ps......he is an actual centre! We don’t have many of them.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

mjdodge13 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:30 pm Mb an unpopular opinion, but I think it’s a good signing.
We definitely need cover in the centres this season due to the injuries and I assume Hankinson is deemed not good enough by Lam because he hasn’t been recalled from his loan spell.
We are bringing in a 30 year old (Not actually that old......how old was some of the best players in history when they signed for Wigan?) Wigan lad with big match experience as outside back cover.
He will be a very good squad player for the next couple of years and I actually think he looks more athletic then he did when he last played for us.

I thought we were terrible against Leigh, and there were more than Thornley who danced through us (on one occasion) that night. Not done that much since. And is he 30 now and be 31 next season ? Championship level centre, not seen many other Super League clubs "targetting" him which says something !!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

mjdodge13 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:30 pm

Mb?? If that’s supposed to be ‘maybe’ we don’t use text speak on here! Thank you 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
mjdodge13

Post by mjdodge13 »

josie andrews wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:46 pm

Mb?? If that’s supposed to be ‘maybe’ we don’t use text speak on here! Thank you 😊
😂😂😂😂.......my apologies
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

mjdodge13 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:03 am
josie andrews wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:46 pm

😂😂😂😂.......my apologies
No worries 😊 you won’t know if someone doesn’t tell you 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
mjdodge13

Post by mjdodge13 »

Nezza Faz wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:42 pm
mjdodge13 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:30 pm Mb an unpopular opinion, but I think it’s a good signing.

I thought we were terrible against Leigh, and there were more than Thornley who danced through us (on one occasion) that night. Not done that much since. And is he 30 now and be 31 next season ? Championship level centre, not seen many other Super League clubs "targetting" him which says something !!
We were terrible against Leigh and another 2 people did score against us.
Other super league clubs not targeting him? Everyone has an agent.....I’m sure there are offers, especially from the club he’s at.
Anyway.......can you think of a better backup outside back who is available, at a decent price and has the same attributes?

I’m with everyone else......if we lose Gildart then we sign a very good player......but as back up, he’s a good signing.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

We can't gave the best players in every spot, the cap won't allow that.

Would people complain if this meant we signed the type of props everyone's been complaining we lack?

Thornley was not bad for us we just had better choices at the time. In the same way his catalan career was ended.

Players mature and peak at different points look at Bibby, he is outstanding for us currently but cops flak why?

Because he's not a nrl all star
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:We can't gave the best players in every spot, the cap won't allow that.

Would people complain if this meant we signed the type of props everyone's been complaining we lack?

Thornley was not bad for us we just had better choices at the time. In the same way his catalan career was ended.

Players mature and peak at different points look at Bibby, he is outstanding for us currently but cops flak why?

Because he's not a nrl all star
Not having the best players in every spot does not mean going out and signing a 30 year old who has never made the grade.

His career at Wigan and Cats ended because he’s not good enough. It’s a ridiculous signing.

If he’s a good signing why has literally no one mentioned him as someone we should go after before now?

In any case looking at our main rivals such as Saints, Wire and Hull they don’t seem to need to be signing 30 year old has beens to employ a better standard of player than we have in the centres , in the front row and at hooker.

We have very few players Wire, Saints and Hull would be interested in (even more so next season when Hastings goes) so this idea we need cheap players to fund better elsewhere doesn’t stand up to scrutiny. There are plenty of those cheap players here already.

It’ll be Gelling next!
JimmyMagnets

Post by JimmyMagnets »

See plenty bagging Thornley already! Didn't see many bagging him 1st time around.....[emoji849]

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk