Wigan sign Ian Thornley 30 years old from Leigh

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
thegimble

Re: Wigan sign Ian Thornley 30 years old from Leigh

Post by thegimble »

Wire get Inglis we get Thornley.
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

What good is Inglis to Wire for the next 2 months. Poor signing and a waste of salary cap. Glad we didn’t sign him, bad enough with Field.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

thegimble wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:34 am Wire get Inglis we get Thornley.
Inglis is a vanity signing by Wire 5 years ago it would have been a master stroke now it looks like a huge mistake
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

fozzieskem wrote:
Inglis is a vanity signing by Wire 5 years ago it would have been a master stroke now it looks like a huge mistake
Wigan signed Gene Miles at the end of his career. He was here for one season and lit the place up. He was 32 when we signed him.

The fact Inglis is injured is just bad luck as it is for us with Field and French.

So it’s a valid point made by Gimble. Thornley is also approaching the end of his career. He will be 31 if he joins us next season. If we are going to be signing 31 year old centres why are we singing players who never made the grade and not signing a 31 year old proven NRL centre?

Surely there must be some such players available who fancy a couple of years in SL at the end of their careers?

I suspect the trouble is Radlinski doesn’t have a clue how to find them and convince them to come. Thornley is just another lazy, easy and probably cheap option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

There easy to find just look at nrl players out of contract. I would have thought the name Wigan should be easy to sell to a player.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

DaveO wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 2:02 pm
fozzieskem wrote:
Wigan signed Gene Miles at the end of his career. He was here for one season and lit the place up. He was 32 when we signed him.

The fact Inglis is injured is just bad luck as it is for us with Field and French.

So it’s a valid point made by Gimble. Thornley is also approaching the end of his career. He will be 31 if he joins us next season. If we are going to be signing 31 year old centres why are we singing players who never made the grade and not signing a 31 year old proven NRL centre?

Surely there must be some such players available who fancy a couple of years in SL at the end of their careers?

I suspect the trouble is Radlinski doesn’t have a clue how to find them and convince them to come. Thornley is just another lazy, easy and probably cheap option.

Yes but Gene Miles was as fit as a fiddle and hadn’t been retired for over two years. Regarding Rads, I totally agree.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Graham1 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 2:31 pm There easy to find just look at nrl players out of contract. I would have thought the name Wigan should be easy to sell to a player.
Not when the UK due to Covid is known worldwide as "Plague Island". Australia has had around 1000 people die with Covid and according to the Gov'ts own ONS we've had over 152,000. With all the travel restrictions if I were an Aussie I wouldn't touch the UK with a barge pole.

As for our recruitment, Rads seemed to get it right when Waney was coach no doubt to Shaun's input. Rads is supposed to be getting it all wrong now with a different coach's input. Sorry, don't buy that one! Bothers me that we sign French and Field, bring them to the other side of the planet, then the coach says he doesn't know where he'll play them. Just beggars belief!

As for Thornley, yes he won't be expensive but we're all hoping that George will sign for us and he'll be very expensive. Bateman was re-signed and we all thought he was a great addition to the squad, he came on the very expensive side of the figures. The club have to do a balancing of the numbers due to the SC.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

fozzieskem wrote:

Not that it makes makes much difference but Web says Thornley is 29, turns 30 in September.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

fozzieskem wrote:

Totally agree. If Inglis is anywhere near fit he is the worlds best centre. If not and injured then its a gamble that Wire will rectify with better quality than Thornley
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

There was a reason why Inglis quit the NRL his body was knackered. It was a massive risk, if Lam had bought him he would have been crucified. Not long ago they hailed the signing of Gelling as a masterpiece, so even Wire get it wrong. But granted on the face of it they do seem to get better quality signings on paper, but doesn’t always turn out that way. As the lack of GF success shows.