Wigan sign Ian Thornley 30 years old from Leigh

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Charriots Offiah

Re: Wigan sign Ian Thornley 30 years old from Leigh

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Graham1 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 4:38 pm There was a reason why Inglis quit the NRL his body was knackered. It was a massive risk, if Lam had bought him he would have been crucified. Not long ago they hailed the signing of Gelling as a masterpiece, so even Wire get it wrong. But granted on the face of it they do seem to get better quality signings on paper, but doesn’t always turn out that way. As the lack of GF success shows.
That’s because they do not have a good track record of producing young players. If they get both aspects right then they will get the monkey off their back.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

DaveO wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 2:02 pm
fozzieskem wrote:
thegimble wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:34 am Wire get Inglis we get Thornley.
Inglis is a vanity signing by Wire 5 years ago it would have been a master stroke now it looks like a huge mistake
Wigan signed Gene Miles at the end of his career. He was here for one season and lit the place up. He was 32 when we signed him.

The fact Inglis is injured is just bad luck as it is for us with Field and French.

So it’s a valid point made by Gimble. Thornley is also approaching the end of his career. He will be 31 if he joins us next season. If we are going to be signing 31 year old centres why are we singing players who never made the grade and not signing a 31 year old proven NRL centre?

Surely there must be some such players available who fancy a couple of years in SL at the end of their careers?

I suspect the trouble is Radlinski doesn’t have a clue how to find them and convince them to come. Thornley is just another lazy, easy and probably cheap option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Inglis had retired though he simply hasn’t got anything left in the tank at NRL level so why they thought he’d be able to roll the years back over here is a little bemusing to me.

I am rather suspect if Wigan had taken the plunge on Inglis and it turned out the same here then people would be using it to beat over the heads of IL and Radlinski.

5 years ago he was world class now? Come on it was a gamble and one sadly that doesn’t look to be coming off as he’s barely been fit since his arrival
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

fozzieskem wrote:
thegimble wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:34 am Wire get Inglis we get Thornley.
Inglis is a vanity signing by Wire 5 years ago it would have been a master stroke now it looks like a huge mistake
Wigan signed Gene Miles at the end of his career. He was here for one season and lit the place up. He was 32 when we signed him.
Not sure Miles had been retired for 2 years before we signed him though.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
JimmyMagnets

Post by JimmyMagnets »

Mike wrote:
fozzieskem wrote: Inglis is a vanity signing by Wire 5 years ago it would have been a master stroke now it looks like a huge mistake
He hadn't retired when he signed for us

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Mike wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 6:46 pm
fozzieskem wrote:
Had he?

I honestly can’t remember but I’ll say this the game has moved on massively since Miles’s day as the lads returning from Union have found out,to ask a bloke to come back and don his boots instead of his slippers is a huge ask and a huge gamble.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

fozzieskem wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:43 pm
Had he?

I honestly can’t remember but I’ll say this the game has moved on massively since Miles’s day as the lads returning from Union have found out,to ask a bloke to come back and don his boots instead of his slippers is a huge ask and a huge gamble.
Not sure what today’s game has got to do with it when I am saying I’d rather sign a centre of that vintage from the NRL than a 31 year old Thornley. The point I am making is if you are going to sign a 31 year old centre I’d rather sign someone looking for a couple of years in SL having proved themselves NRL than a player who wasn’t good enough for Wigan previously.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

DaveO wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 10:20 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:43 pm

Had he?

Not sure what today’s game has got to do with it when I am saying I’d rather sign a centre of that vintage from the NRL than a 31 year old Thornley. The point I am making is if you are going to sign a 31 year old centre I’d rather sign someone looking for a couple of years in SL having proved themselves NRL than a player who wasn’t good enough for Wigan previously.
The point is simple, trying to make a comeback from well over two years of injury and then retirement
is the very essence of a gamble/vanity signing, the game has moved on even from a couple of years ago as the union lads have found to their cost, quite why you keep comparing GI to Thornley is a bit odd,Wigan clearly if he signs, and he hasn't yet lets be fair, to me means the club is living within its means and in the hope of picking up Williams in the meantime.

Im not going to berate a player who may or may not sign for Wigan,as a squad player it could be astute or a (small)waste of wages if it doesn't pan outwits clear the club isn't away with cash so sometimes you have to go looking in the bargain bin for players, am I happy about that policy?not really id love to see the "all star"days. back again but thats gone and we are in a reality of cost cutting perhaps even more than before the pandemic.
Tricky Dicky1

Post by Tricky Dicky1 »

We have to run a reserve side next year so need to build up depth.

in that instance both players would be good signing options for the squad.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Tricky Dicky1 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:11 am We have to run a reserve side next year so need to build up depth.

in that instance both players would be good signing options for the squad.
I know you are attempting to be positive but I don't care if we have two wheelie bins and a sack of potatoes in our reserves.

We need to concentrate on getting the first team recruitment right. Quality not quantity
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
WWRL

Post by WWRL »

So Gildart leaves and we replace him with Ian Thornley. And now the rumour is that George Burgess is feeling better than ever after his hip resurfacing and is looking to return to the NRL, possibly with St George. And we're replacing him with Nathan Mason. Surely the club has to have more ambition than this.